Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Supplying my own LNB for install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Slow adopter here - but I've finally upgraded my main TV to HD, and on the weekend, had DirecTV out to swap my Phase-III dish with the new slimline for HD reception.

Although I don't subscribe to any package that requires 110/119, I didn't want to lose that capability (Euro soccer, holiday music, maybe the intl channels some day??). The phone CSR assured me a number of times that as I had a Phase-III dish, I'd get a 5-LNB install. Also, as I continued with legacy receiver in other rooms and was happy with the wiring set-up, I would get a non-SWIM LNB.

Of course, I've read here that, almost as a rule, the installer shows up having been told something different; so I took the liberty of ordering my own non-SWM 5-sat LNB from SolidSignal ahead of the install. If the installer has the right thing, I'd send my one back.

Sure enough, the installer comes in. He'd been told to do a 3LNB SWM install. He was not happy when he saw my Phase III dish, and was preparing to rip out all the wiring and replace all my receivers. When I pulled out the LNB I ordered, his eyes lit up. We were both very happy.

At the end, he let me write on the work order documentation that I had supplied the LNB. The install service had cost me $130 to DirecTV for the install and the "new" HR23-DVR. The LNB was $50 to Solid Signal. The installer said I should call them and ask for some refund on the install price as I supplied some of the equipment. It should technically be more than $50, as SWM LNB's are more expensive, and I saved the installer at least an hour or two of extra work, and possibly some receivers.

What likelihood do I have of this? Is it not worth taking the time to make the phone call? Is there a better department to call - I'm sure these days that getting a general CSR on the main 1800 number and telling him/her I supplied the LNB would make his/her mind explode (if s/he knew what I was talking about)!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Smart man....

You need to have them connect you with customer retention. They might be able to get you a credit of $100 or at least a month of free programming.

It would be much harder for them to reimburse you for the LNB, since the installs are done by an HSP or subcontractor.

#3 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Smart man....

You need to have them connect you with customer retention. They might be able to get you a credit of $100 or at least a month of free programming.

It would be much harder for them to reimburse you for the LNB, since the installs are done by an HSP or subcontractor.

Thanks - I've never asked for retention in 11 years, but it might be time to try.

Yes - I don't expect direct reimbursement - but some form of credit in the same amount would be nice. And I can ask for the free-HD for 2 years while I'm at it!

#4 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Why not ask for "FREE HD FOR LIFE." Dish offers if for "Credit card autopay" and a two year commitment. With no commitment or credit card autopay, they charge $99.

DirecTV will match Dish's offer.

#5 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

why in the world didnt you let him put in the swm3, and put in the newer receivers?

You then could have ordered a swm 5 if you felt like it and changed it at any time.

I see no advantage to what you just did.

And why was he preparing to remove cables?? Ive swapped out phase III's with swm5's with no problems.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

why in the world didnt you let him put in the swm3, and put in the newer receivers?

You then could have ordered a swm 5 if you felt like it and changed it at any time.

I see no advantage to what you just did.

And why was he preparing to remove cables?? Ive swapped out phase III's with swm5's with no problems.

The original poster did just what I would have done. And, I've upgraded over a hundred dishes to KA/KU.

When possible, I prefer the reliabilty of hard wiring over the so called swm switches. I've known too many to fail and too many to be defective out of the box.

#7 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

The original poster did just what I would have done. And, I've upgraded over a hundred dishes to KA/KU.

When possible, I prefer the reliabilty of hard wiring over the so called swm switches. I've known too many to fail and too many to be defective out of the box.

Good to know I wasn't crazy - and I didn't even know of these sorts of problems with SWMs.

We move slowly with technology in our house. My wife is struggling adjusting to one new receiver. I didn't see the need to change two others for no good reason, esp when they are still connected to SD-TV's. (And I didn't have time for the installer to spend all day at the house) Although I guess the user interface would be the same - which may have been beneficial in the long run, assuming DirecTV doesn't change it in another year or two.

spam firewall