Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Traveling and setup of Direct TV HD Equip

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Artistspot

Artistspot

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am asking dumb and simple questions, but I really just want to understand the basics when it comes to trying out traveling across the US and setting up Direct TV Slimline dish and HD receiver when I go tailgating or stop to camp for a few days ....... I am assuming that I can take my dish and HDDVR box with me and setup anywhere in the US if I have a couple of things:

- Slimline dish and tripod stand (w/my 3 lnb attached and SwM?)
- one HDDVR received (Tuner 1 from my living room)
- Oasis cheap Sat finder
- Compas and level

Here's what I DO know .......
1) Dish has to be pointed to South East ..... Is that everywhere in the USA???
2) Dish must be level (bubble in middle of ring)
3) Get Azimuth, Elevation, and Tilt from putting in area code from receiver setup menu?
4) Then point dish in these "general" directions till sat finder beeps louder / louder??
5) Then chk 101, 99, 99s, 103ca, etc for sat numbers and strength of signal... (will i get local channels or do I need to call Direct TV to get another account????)

Is that it or am i way lost??? If one of you guys can guide me in , I would really appreciate... like I said, I am rookie here and never have dome this before.... any help guidance would be MOST appreciated ....

Thanks fellas, G

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Here's what I DO know .......
1) Dish has to be pointed to South East ..... Is that everywhere in the USA???
2) Dish must be level (bubble in middle of ring)
3) Get Azimuth, Elevation, and Tilt from putting in area code from receiver setup menu?
4) Then point dish in these "general" directions till sat finder beeps louder / louder??
5) Then chk 101, 99, 99s, 103ca, etc for sat numbers and strength of signal... (will i get local channels or do I need to call Direct TV to get another account????)

1: Nope, It will depend on the longitude you are located. If you are east of 101 degrees, it will be pointed southwest.
2: Helps, but not totally necessary for a stationary dish
3: zip code
4: Never used a sat finder, but that should work
5: Check 101 first, then zero in on 99c. Ignore 99s and 103s. You will not get locals outside of your dma spotbeam. If you want national DNS channels for the big 4 networks, you will need a separate "RV" account, submit the proper paperwork, and get approved. Best bet is to use an OTA RV antenna, and an AM21 for locals (which will work where ever you are, assuming you reinitialize the OTA zipcode in the receiver, and are within reception range of the stations.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

You won't get your local network stations (from your home market). If you will be traveling extensively, you may want to get an RV account with DNS (Distant Network Service) so you can get either NY or LA network stations. The other option is to use OTA antenna directly to your TV, or with an H/HR20 or an AM21, for local stations wherever you are currently located.

As to item 2, dish must be level - it makes it a LOT easier to align.

#4 OFFLINE   Artistspot

Artistspot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Davenlr, wow, got it ...... thanks... one additional question? How do I know what "longitude" I am at? What tells me that? If I am traveling along the I40 east from Cali and I stop off in Oklahoma?

Thanks for the help ... really appreciate.

#5 OFFLINE   Artistspot

Artistspot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

ok, I got that ... that makes perfect sense .....

Thanks, G

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Davenlr, wow, got it ...... thanks... one additional question? How do I know what "longitude" I am at? What tells me that? If I am traveling along the I40 east from Cali and I stop off in Oklahoma?

Thanks for the help ... really appreciate.

Best way is to use your GPS. All GPS units have a screen to show you your actual current location. If it says for example 92.2545 by 34.4453 then you would use 92.2 and 34.4 on your satfinder website, or just figure out what zip code you are in, and enter that in the receiver.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   Artistspot

Artistspot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

ok, cool,,,, so if I know what zip code I am in, then I can just fire up the HDDVR and go through the menu, plug in the zip, then aim the dish towards those coordinates, right?

Hope I understood that right, thanks, G

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Yep, simple as that. Practice a few times in the driveway to get the hang of it, and it will come easy on the road. I have set up all my dishes myself. SWM is a tad more difficult, but if you have a meter for SWM, then you should be good to go.

#9 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

You won't get your local network stations (from your home market). If you will be traveling extensively, you may want to get an RV account with DNS (Distant Network Service) so you can get either NY or LA network stations. The other option is to use OTA antenna directly to your TV, or with an H/HR20 or an AM21, for local stations wherever you are currently located.

As to item 2, dish must be level - it makes it a LOT easier to align.

If you are in the Los Angeles market, you WILL get CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. They are the national market for West Coast locals and you should get them anywhere you are, as they are on a CONUS sat (not spot beams). I have gotten them everywhere I have gone, so far.

#10 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

SoDak locals are also non spot beam, and im sure there are many others, so you may be able to watch yours news from back home wherever you are at.

If not, a simple call in to get an RV waiver will get you locals for LA and NY

Some of my camper customers are either here or in AZ, so they just changed their address to get appropriate locals

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

SoDak locals are also non spot beam, and im sure there are many others, so you may be able to watch yours news from back home wherever you are at.

If not, a simple call in to get an RV waiver will get you locals for LA and NY

Some of my camper customers are either here or in AZ, so they just changed their address to get appropriate locals

I believe you are mistaken. The only "locals" that are on a conus beam are NY and LA.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#12 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

I believe you are mistaken. The only "locals" that are on a conus beam are NY and LA.

I believe that you might be mistaken.....

We have zero signal on all (s) sats

Also i know for a fact the phoenix locals work here in SD, been to several campers recieving them here before they switched their address accordingly. Ive personally watch the phoenix news in SD.

Might have something to do with MPEG4 market, but not sure.

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

I believe that you might be mistaken.....

We have zero signal on all (s) sats

Also i know for a fact the phoenix locals work here in SD, been to several campers recieving them here before they switched their address accordingly. Ive personally watch the phoenix news in SD.

Might have something to do with MPEG4 market, but not sure.

Tell you what, take a look at the transponder mappings here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=191371 and get back to me.

Try and find any LiL other than NY & LA on a conus transponder.
I'll even give you a head start. The Sioux Falls DMA is on TPN16 103S. While Phoenix is on TPN15 103S

Good luck with your search. ;)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#14 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:35 AM

Weren't the locals that were on the 72.5 satellite CONUS? Sioux Falls was one of them.

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

Locals on 72.5 were CONUS. All other locals with the exception of the DNS LA and NY channels are definitely on spotbeams.

#16 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Weren't the locals that were on the 72.5 satellite CONUS? Sioux Falls was one of them.

Correct, and the days of anything being beamed by DirecTv from 72.5 are rapidly ticking down. A couple of markets actually go dark tomorrow or the 31st (from 72.5).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...