Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTVAHKaKu LNBF

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

I posted some while back the rain fade numbers for Ka, and somerandomidiot is correct, a 1.2m dish will have very little effect on the duration of the dropouts due to severe storms in the line of sight between the dish and the satellite. I haven't been able to find the reference document but I seem to remember atmospheric attenuations of 30-50dB, plus additional attenuation due to water on the LNB itself. The lower the elevation, the worse is the problem because the line of sight will be more affected by storm centers. I haven't seen any numbers on the way the signal is attenuated with time as the storm passes through the line of sight, but I would be surprised if the slightly larger dish reduced the "dead time" by very much.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

A few years ago, when people here were kluging Sat B and C signals from separate dishes into DTVAHKaKu doiwnleads, I thought that those who combined them using an ordinaly, high frequency splitter had been successful. As long as the LNBs don't have AGC in them, you would just center the port of each LNB on the desired prime focal point and cover the other ports with foil.

Covering the "unused" LNB doesn't work. Any powered LNB that gets combined with another LNB in the same band causes "the good one" to not work. While one might think the noise would merely increase by 3 dB, there is more to it. Those that did get this to work, found ANY LNB not being used had to have its DC power removed.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

A few years ago, when people here were kluging Sat B and C signals from separate dishes into DTVAHKaKu doiwnleads, I thought that those who combined them using an ordinaly, high frequency splitter had been successful. As long as the LNBs don't have AGC in them, you would just center the port of each LNB on the desired prime focal point and cover the other ports with foil.

adding to that - with DC pass to both LNBFs ...

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

Now let's bring this back to the TS question/topic.

Using the AHKaKu LNB and a SWiM:
13 & 18 volt lines will power just the 101 & 99 LNBs, so if it can be positioned where 99 is in the focal point and the 101 gets enough signal to work.
A second AHKaKu LNB can be used for the 103 with the 13 & 18 volt 22kHz tone lines. Should 119 & 110 want to also be used with another dish, these LNBs connect to the side ports of the 103 LNB.

No splitters/combiners are needed, nor would any unused LNBs be powered, so this "can be" a viable solution if the LNBs can work with the focal points.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...