Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Fan Repair?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ericL

ericL

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

I think my HR24's fan is going bad. Does anyone know of any way to get it replaced without losing my disk? DirecTV is no help -- receiver problem equals full replacement, period.

thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

If it were mine I would open it up and change it, but it is against the rental agreement.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

The HR24's are tricky to open without causing damage. Best to call for a replacement DVR.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

If it were mine I would open it up and change it, but it is against the rental agreement.

I would do the same thing regardless of the lease terms. No way I would chance getting a HR21-23 after enjoying the speed of a 24, sorry !

#5 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

I would do the same thing regardless of the lease terms. No way I would chance getting a HR21-23 after enjoying the speed of a 24, sorry !

I've been told they only replace HR24s with HR24s. Whether or not they actually do is another story.

#6 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

I think my HR24's fan is going bad. Does anyone know of any way to get it replaced without losing my disk? DirecTV is no help -- receiver problem equals full replacement, period.

thanks.

You can buy a replacement fan at many places such as Bestbuy and if you do a Search you can find many posts that explain how to open the DVR which actually is quite easy if you follow the instructions.

The whole operation shouldn't take no more than 30 or 40 minutes.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

I've been told they only replace HR24s with HR24s. Whether or not they actually do is another story.

That's interesting, if true. Since what I have always heard is that they have no way to pick a model of DVR when they send out a replacement.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

thanks.

Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

If it's an owned receiver then you can probably just replace the fan. Open it get the fan measurements and find a replacement online.

However, if it’s a leased receiver, then opening the receiver would violate the lease agreement so if you broke something while had the case open you would be liable.

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

They do this under certain circumstances such as you have DECA and WHDVR Service then they would Replace the HR24 with another HR24. That is what I heard and I forgot who posted that information.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

My HR24-500 with the defective front panel was just recently replaced with an HR24-200.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

The HR24's are tricky to open without causing damage. Best to call for a replacement DVR.

That's not what I've experienced. I'd much rather replace the fan than lose programming. I've had all my owned 24s open and once you do one, it only takes a few minutes to open the box. In fact, I think they're the easiest HRs to take apart.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

That's interesting, if true. Since what I have always heard is that they have no way to pick a model of DVR when they send out a replacement.

I think they do try to replace the 24s with 24s especially if you have MRV. I've had a couple go south on me and I've gotten 24s back each time.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

That's not what I've experienced. I'd much rather replace the fan than lose programming. I've had all my owned 24s open and once you do one, it only takes a few minutes to open the box. In fact, I think they're the easiest HRs to take apart.

I agree. Once you know how to open an HR24 it only takes thirty seconds as opposed to a minute or more for the previous HR2x's.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#14 OFFLINE   ericL

ericL

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

If it's an owned receiver then you can probably just replace the fan. Open it get the fan measurements and find a replacement online.

However, if it’s a leased receiver, then opening the receiver would violate the lease agreement so if you broke something while had the case open you would be liable.

Mike

I forgot to mention it is leased. The DTV supervisor I talked to suggested there are companies that do repair on these units and suggested I could do that (though he seemed to be focusing on the DTivo units, even though he knows this was not one). I guess in my dreams I figured there might be some company that would agree to cover any losses due to the repair but that sounds silly as I type it.

I'm just going to be pretty pissed if I have to lose my recordings again for a stupid fan (just did a few months ago but getting an HR24 to replace my older unit was worth it). Today the fan sounds fine, so maybe it'll be OK for now. Yesterday the system overheated and the fan sounded sick.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

I forgot to mention it is leased. The DTV supervisor I talked to suggested there are companies that do repair on these units and suggested I could do that (though he seemed to be focusing on the DTivo units, even though he knows this was not one). I guess in my dreams I figured there might be some company that would agree to cover any losses due to the repair but that sounds silly as I type it.

I'm just going to be pretty pissed if I have to lose my recordings again for a stupid fan (just did a few months ago but getting an HR24 to replace my older unit was worth it). Today the fan sounds fine, so maybe it'll be OK for now. Yesterday the system overheated and the fan sounded sick.

I'm sure weaknees.com would be thrilled to replace that fan. At a price that will probably overwhelm you.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

So what do I need to open my HR24? I have a bad fan, too. Is it security Torx? Anyone know the size so I can go buy one before fumbling around back there.

#17 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

t10 security IIRC

fans in 20/21 are 60mm iirc

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#18 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

t10 security IIRC

fans in 20/21 are 60mm iirc

I need one for a 24... any idea?

#19 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Most 24s don't need anything to open them. If someone doesn't know I'll check my -100 for you, just send me a PM to remind me.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

So what do I need to open my HR24? I have a bad fan, too. Is it security Torx? Anyone know the size so I can go buy one before fumbling around back there.

All you need to take the cover off is a couple of old credit cards cut up so that you have a little less than a half inch strip to place in front of the latches that hold the top in place. You can open it up without the cutup cards, but it's easier to use them. I've never changed the fan on one so I don't know if you even need a security Torx set. I've got a whole set of them so I don't even pay attention to the sizes of the sockets. I just use that one that fits.

If I remember correctly there are four latches, two on each side and one towards the back, might be two towards the back. If you gently pry the sides out a tad you'll see the latches. You just slide the credit card piece between the latch and it's holder and leave it there until you've got all of them in place and then it comes apart.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...