Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Fan Repair?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Usually, man's aging do affect hearing negatively. ;)

If that were the case, he wouldn't be complaining about the noise.....:lol:

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

That would make sense if I had trouble hearing things.

Can you describe what you are hearing? Perhaps an analogy? I know it's hard to describe sounds. Now you've got me curious. I've had a lot of experience with big to huge fans and it's usually a balance problem, but I don't think those fans would have a balance problem.

Rich

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Perhaps a drop of oil will help ?

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Perhaps a drop of oil will help ?

He's getting the noise with two fans. The new one must have been shipped with the proper lubrication in place and the HR he has had a "new" fan in it. Hard to believe he has the same problem with both fans because of a lack of lubrication. Not impossible, but pretty improbable. I think.

I gotta take a look at his pictures again. This is interesting.

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

If it came as refuebushed, then possible .

A refurbished fan bought "new" for $7? Uh ok.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#66 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Tom, is it that both fans are making a grinding type noise, or are the just running full blast at times.

If it's the latter, it's possible that the HD is reporting a false temp, causing the box to think it's running hot, or the fan controller is loosing it's mind, either way it's turning the fan on full.

I also think it was the past NR or perhaps the one before, that the fan speeds became a bit more agressive.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#67 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

It's quieter than it was. I think i jumped the gun on calling it louder because when you power the DVR on it spins the fan to the max after a minute. I think I was hearing max speed and equated that to the noisier fan that was in it before. I can still hear it but it's a tolerable "whirrr" that I've come to expect from any DVR fan.

I'll report back if i think it's running hotter/faster. Right now it's reading 118 degrees. No clue what the norm is for this unit as this is the first time I've ever looked.

#68 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

It's quieter than it was. I think i jumped the gun on calling it louder because when you power the DVR on it spins the fan to the max after a minute. I think I was hearing max speed and equated that to the noisier fan that was in it before. I can still hear it but it's a tolerable "whirrr" that I've come to expect from any DVR fan.

I'll report back if i think it's running hotter/faster. Right now it's reading 118 degrees. No clue what the norm is for this unit as this is the first time I've ever looked.

I hear ya on the bootup noise. Sounds like a turbine spooling up. I think they went to agressive on the fan test speed.

For comparison, my HR24-100 shows 117 with ambient room temp of 68.

#69 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

The fan in my -100 sounds like a firetruck starting its siren. Whir!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#70 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Just for comparison...my HR24-100 is mounted in a rack shelf in the Home Theater here.

When all equipment is off...and no other sounds are in the room....I can walk right up to the front of the HR inches away and barely hear the hard drive, and certainly even less, the fan. This includes when it is in recording or playback mode.

The same holds true for getting in the back side of the unit and directly viewing/hearing it.

In both cases, I can easily feel a good outbound airflow fromhe unit with my hand.

If folks are hearing fan sounds loud enough in a regular room that is disturbs them...something may very well be wrong with their unit. Its more annoying than functional.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

Just for comparison...my HR24-100 is mounted in a rack shelf in the Home Theater here.

When all equipment is off...and no other sounds are in the room....I can walk right up to the front of the HR inches away and barely hear the hard drive, and certainly even less, the fan. This includes when it is in recording or playback mode.

That's the way my two 24-500s sound. Quiet.

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   Johann Cat

Johann Cat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Let me speak plainly for people thinking of replacing the fan on an HR24, and removing the case of an HR24 as many posts on the subject do not speak plainly:

One can use strips cut from old credit or ID cards and shim the latches of the case open. The latches are pictured in another discussion of the HR24. Search for: anleva, am7crew, picture.

The lid comes off easily. The shell is U-shaped, and the chassis comes out with some modest prying. There are no other tabs or latches to be concerned about other than those pictured that need to be held open with the card-made-tools. This operation is not an ordeal.

The good sense of doing this:
D* can ask at least $100 for a replacement DVR.
The only thing wrong with my DVR is a dead (not just noisy, but
kaput, bearing-gone, dead) fan.

This repair takes <15 minutes and a $5 fan.
The OEP is available on ebay. Search for: HR24 fan.

#73 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

If the receiver is overheating because of the fan not working then call DIRECTV and they will replace it for $19.99 W/O protection plan and free with the protection plan not $100.

I would not recommend opening a leased box for any reason, if it's owned and you want to then decide for yourself.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#74 OFFLINE   Johann Cat

Johann Cat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

I did call DTV. I talked to them longer than an actual repair would take. The result: first, they offered to sell me a DVR (not HD) for $50. It wasn't until I asked that they revealed this wasn't even an HD-DVR and thus useless to me. Then, their next best offer was $100 for a HR24 replacement. I have been a DTV customer since 2004. I like my outcome, which cost $5, and preserved the contents of my hard-drive, better than those options.

#75 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

For anyone that may be worried of getting billed the full price of the receiver for opening it the earlier suggest solution is not for you.

If you called DIRECTV to troubleshoot a HDDVR and they could not fix it, they will send you an equivelant model (HDDVR)
They do not send SD receivers as replacements for HDDVR's.

#76 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Oh and :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com

I don't mean to be hard on a newcomer but you have to realize that suggesting someone violate the Terms of Service cannot be done lightly. I said what I needed to on the topic.

I'm glad it worked for you.

#77 OFFLINE   mark123

mark123

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Looks like the fan on my HR24/100 has quit as well. Running an external fan on it brings the temp down from 144°F to safe operating temps and keeps it running but that's no good for a permanent solution. The fan on the bottom blowing from right to left seems to work the best. What direction does the fan move air when it is working?

I called DTV and asked if they could replace the fan only so that I wouldn't lose my schedule and recordings and they said no. They'd give me a new unit. I'm not happy with that so I asked how much to switch it to an owned unit and they said $200. I'd much rather own it and fix it since it's just a $5 fan. Of course purchasing the unit makes it a $205 fan. :P

There is even the possibility that the fan simply became unplugged I suppose but I don't want to open it until I actually own the unit.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. :)

Edited by mark123, 29 September 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#78 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Looks like the fan on my HR24/100 has quit as well. Running an external fan on it brings the temp down from 144°F to save operating temps and keeps it running but that's no good for a permanent solution. The fan on the bottom blowing from right to left seems to work the best. What direction does the fan move air when it is working?

I called DTV and asked if they could replace the fan only so that I wouldn't lose my schedule and recordings and they said no. They'd give me a new unit. I'm not happy with that so I asked how much to switch it to an owned unit and they said $200. I'd much rather own it and fix it since it's just a $5 fan. Of course purchasing the unit makes it a $205 fan. :P

There is even the possibility that the fan simply became unplugged I suppose but I don't want to open it until I actually own the unit.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. :)

Your best bet would be to use the external fan to watch all your recordings and get a replacement DVR from DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Or move into wine cooler :).

#80 OFFLINE   mark123

mark123

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Your best bet would be to use the external fan to watch all your recordings and get a replacement DVR from DirecTV.

- Merg

Yeah, you're right. I don't want to mess with it. I think they should waive the $20 "shipping" fee though.

spam firewall