Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Fan Repair?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   mark123

mark123

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

They wouldn't guarantee the replacement would be the same model and they wouldn't waive the shipping fee. They also wanted to extend my contract so I declined the replacement. I tore a case fan out of an old Macintosh G3 and have it running on the left side pulling air through the DVR. Temps are holding at 104F. Solved.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

They wouldn't guarantee the replacement would be the same model and they wouldn't waive the shipping fee. They also wanted to extend my contract so I declined the replacement. I tore a case fan out of an old Macintosh G3 and have it running on the left side pulling air through the DVR. Temps are holding at 104F. Solved.

While not being able to guarantee the same model, and charging for shipping isn't a big suprise, the extended contract is 100% wrong. If you are replacing a defective receiver your contract is not extended.

While they can't guarantee the same model we have been told that they actually do make an effort to replace HR24s with HR24s (you might get a -200, or 500 instead of a -100). However, I believe if the warehouse they are shipping from is completely out of HR24s, then you will get whatever they have in stock (HR21, HR22, HR23) they won't wait until they get more HR24s in to ship you a replacement.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#83 OFFLINE   AndyInNYC

AndyInNYC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it is exactly on topic.

The fan in my HR24 died (it gave some notice).

The machine now likes to give me an overheat notice.

I opened the case without incident.

I ordered some new fans and noticed that the wiring seems to be the opposite colors given the location of the pug (i.e. the white and black wires have their positions reversed).

When the new fan is placed in the system it doesn't spin up on boot and appears to not spin at all.

The original fan in my system was the version with the rounded corners; the new fans were the square cornered versions.  I have a few of the rounded corner versions on order, but shipment from China is extremely slow.

So, do I have the wrong fan due to the wiring or is there potentially something wrong with the plug/board.  I could get a Genie, but I'd rather not retrain the family <g>.

The temp was 115 degrees before I rebooted a moment ago.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

#84 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

swap the wires; if you'll look close , there are small metal flaps holding pins, gently push down, extract the pin with a wire, swap them

#85 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

12V DC, .08A. 3 wire.

Part 04000A0034
800-580-6688
www.jmcproducts.com

If you don't have the exact replacement it still may work. It is good to know that the 3rd wire (usually white) is probably a sensor wire. Pro servers use this to monitor fan speed. It may not really connect to anything in a consumer DVR. If it does, it may throw a lot of errors, but probably behind the scenes if it does, meaning you probably do not need that third wire. A conventional 2-wire will probably work OK.

In a HP Proliant server the thing will beep at you continuously if the 3rd wire is not connected (if you try to use the 2-wire fan). It thinks the fan is dead if it does not see anything on the third wire. We had one beeping for months before we finally got the right replacement fan installed.

One more thing, if your fan is dead but still spins freely, you can hot-glue a replacement on the outside as long as you have a 12v source to run it. If the old fan does not spin freely, you can still do this, but the old fan somewhat blocks the airflow from the new one. Good for those too nervous to open the lid.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#86 OFFLINE   AndyInNYC

AndyInNYC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

OK, I ordered two different sets of replacement fans.  The first ones were square and I needed to round off two corners - these had the wires reversed.  I haven't tried to swap the wires.

The second set, with the rounded corners arrived today.  These have the wires in the same place as the dead fan.  Upon putting the fan in the HR24 and re-powering up, the fan doesn't spin upon boot.

Is there something further I should look at?  I was under the impression that these fans were spinning ALL the time - perhaps with the third wire it is a heat issue and will spin/change speed as needed (I hope)?

Suggestions welcome - I really don't want to upgrade to a Genie at the moment.  I can't put the cover on the HR without the fan because it will certainly overheat.

Andrew

#87 OFFLINE   AndyInNYC

AndyInNYC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

OK, nevermind.  After some fiddling, I see that the fan IS now spinning (on the rounded corner replacement fan).  It is really silent.

Can someone tell me what a 'normal' range of operating temperature is so that, now that the lid is on, I can check to make sure the airflow/temp is sufficient?

Thanks all.

Anyone want some HR24 fans that need the pins swapped?

Andrew

#88 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I ordered the following fan to replace the failed fan in an HR24-100:

http://www.pchub.com...Square-Fan.html

It is the exact same fan that was in the HR24-100.  It took about 3 weeks for delivery, coming from overseas, too bad no one in the US carries it.

Without the fan, the HR24 would run for a few minutes and then shutdown from overheating.  It's sitting around 99 degrees now.

The fan did spin up when I first plugged in the receiver.  I wanted to make sure it worked before putting the lid back on.  Total cost was $53.45 (I ordered two, so I would have a spare for when this one fails)

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

It is the exact same fan that was in the HR24-100.  It took about 3 weeks for delivery, coming from overseas, too bad no one in the US carries it.

Without the fan, the HR24 would run for a few minutes and then shutdown from overheating.  It's sitting around 99 degrees now.

The fan did spin up when I first plugged in the receiver.  I wanted to make sure it worked before putting the lid back on.  Total cost was $53.45 (I ordered two, so I would have a spare for when this one fails)

Keep an eye on that.  You might have a failing power supply.  Hope not, but...

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

It is the exact same fan that was in the HR24-100. It took about 3 weeks for delivery, coming from overseas, too bad no one in the US carries it.

Without the fan, the HR24 would run for a few minutes and then shutdown from overheating. It's sitting around 99 degrees now.

The fan did spin up when I first plugged in the receiver. I wanted to make sure it worked before putting the lid back on. Total cost was $53.45 (I ordered two, so I would have a spare for when this one fails)

There are some better prices out there......

I just picked up five of them for $41.00 including shipping from a place in China last month. They have since changed pricing to about $14 a piece.

Part number for the beveled fan on the HR24-100 is JMC 05001A0038. There are 2 different fan models produced in the 24-100. I noticed that a 24-100 MFR'd in 5/2010 has a totally square frame but a MFR date 10/2010 and after is the part number listed above. It appears there are very few new replacements available on the market.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...