Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN2 in Widescreen?

hdtv

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

i wanted to know what happened with ESPN2 in widescreen now its back to fullscreen?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,632 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

i wanted to know what happened with ESPN2 in widescreen now its back to fullscreen?

You mean the SD channel? Not many of us watching that so not sure you will get an answer.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

espn is in widescreen and a little while ago espn2 was broadcasting in wideaxreen?does anyone on here have HD and can you look on espn2 if it is widescreen.

#4 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

A soccer match is on now and it is in widescreen.
It's only tv!

#5 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

does anyone have espnnewsHD can you tell me if it is in Widescreen?

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

does anyone have espnnewsHD can you tell me if it is in Widescreen?

Yes espnews is indeed in HD and it's also in widescreen. Just confirmed it.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

Let's get back to topic.

Discuss the topic, not each other.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

ESPN is transitioning their big three channels to 16:9 widescreen. Most cable companies have already switched their SD channels over to the new format, I don't know why DirecTV is lagging.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,632 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

ESPN is transitioning their big three channels to 16:9 widescreen. Most cable companies have already switched their SD channels over to the new format, I don't know why DirecTV is lagging.

Right now, on Fios, only ESPN2 is in letterbox but not really. PTI is on and the PTI program is sort of letteboxed but slightly shifted down and the ESPN2 ticker is at the full bottom.

BTW, it looks the same on DirecTV on the SD channel.

Maybe DirecTV is not lagging....
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

Right now, on Fios, only ESPN2 is in letterbox but not really.

When I say letterbox, I mean fully letterbox. Including the BottomLine.

Maybe DirecTV is not lagging....

They are. And apparently so is FiOS.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,632 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

When I say letterbox, I mean fully letterbox. Including the BottomLine.

They are. And apparently so is FiOS.

Based on what? It looks like it is not working. How would they not put on what ESPN gives them?

#12 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

How would they not put on what ESPN gives them?

ESPN is still maintaining an SD feed in addition to their HD feed. Directv is using the SD feed. Some cable companies, such as Comcast, have started downconverting the HD feed and letterboxing it for the SD channel. Because some cable companies are using the HD signal as a source for SD, ESPN removed the "HD" label from their HD channels.

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

ESPN is still maintaining an SD feed in addition to their HD feed. Directv is using the SD feed. Some cable companies, such as Comcast, have started downconverting the HD feed and letterboxing it for the SD channel. Because some cable companies are using the HD signal as a source for SD, ESPN removed the "HD" label from their HD channels.

Yes, when ESPN removed the "HD" label on the BottomLine, they wanted providers to start using the downconverted HD feed. Most providers have made the switch. The SD feed will be going away.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I think what Tony meant is if ESPN is letterboxing the SD versions of their big three channels (ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNnews) nowadays as Jeremy stated earlier, then why don't DirecTV and FiOS simply pass those letterboxed versions onto their system?

Unless ESPN is still not sending them in letterbox form, or a least not consistently so. Otherwise the only thing I can figure is that DirecTV and FiOS are ignoring the letterboxed SD feeds from ESPN, and down-rezzing and center-cutting the HD ones.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

if ESPN is letterboxing the SD versions of their big three channels (ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNnews) nowadays as Jeremy stated earlier, then why don't DirecTV and FiOS simply pass those letterboxed versions onto their system?

ESPN's old dedicated SD feeds are not letterboxed, and will not be letterboxed as far as I know. They're going away soon.

Unless ESPN is still not sending them in letterbox form, or a least not consistently so. Otherwise the only thing I can figure is that DirecTV and FiOS are ignoring the letterboxed SD feeds from ESPN, and down-rezzing and center-cutting the HD ones.

The letterboxed SD is output by the new receiver for ESPN's HD feeds. DirecTV and FiOS are simply still using the old dedicated SD feed instead of the new feed out of the HD receiver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...