Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Positive install/upgrade experience in Seattle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   millercentral

millercentral

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

So I had a failing DirecTivo and a HR20-100 that was acting up so I convinced DirecTV to replace them both with new HD DVRs. Because the DirecTivo was an upgrade to HD they sent an installer rather than just send me the new boxes which frustrated me because while the receivers were comp'd, the install would be $49. Fine. Before he got there, I prepped the two destinations so it would just be a simple plug in and done.

However, when the installer arrived, he took a look at my homerun panel and said he could upgrade my whole system to be SWM-based. I said I'd already received permission to use MRV over Ethernet, and had enough coax runs for 2 inputs everywhere, so I didn't really need it, but he said it would not be any additional charge (beyond the $49 install fee I'd already agreed to pay). Okay.

So the guy went on to not only replace the multiswitch with a SWM8, he added the internet inserter, recapped every single coax cable in the house (more than 20 all up), repointed my dish, added support bars to it, and brought my average signal strength up more than 10 points across the board (from low 80s to mid-90s!).

Took him about 2 hours all in, with zero up charges, and he fully configured the new HR24-200 and HR24-500 as well, and made sure my other HR20-100 worked correctly with the new SWM switch.

All in all, I was really happy with the work, which I never would have asked for/expected up front.

Anyhow, put me in the very happy DTV customer category.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Looks like you got an installer that takes pride in the work they do. And also one that does the job fairly quickly as it seems like they did a lot in 2 hours.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Glad to hear you had a good experiance. Lynwood Home Service has some really good people. If you would like to get this message to the local supervisor, e-mail to jjguttormsen@dtvhs.com and they will pass it on.

#4 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

I always say send the "atta boy" to the supervisor.

I am a cop, and i'm sure, like installers, our supervisors only hear about the really bad situations, are really never about the good situations.

When my movers connection went outstanding, i emailed and called about 3 people to tell them how good of job they did.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...