Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help installing broadband DECA

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vanzant

vanzant

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I purchased a directv broadband deca unit on ebay DECABB1MR0-01. Now I need help installing it because I have no clue what I'm doing. I've read several other posts but still can't figure it out. :(

I've attached a diagram of my setup its not complicated. The diagram lists my equipment models, etc.

Thanks for your help!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• swim.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Are there any open ports off the splitter? You'll need a coax to the DECA.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Your broadband DECA needs a coax line from your green label splitter and an ethernet connection to your router. Is your splitter 2-, 4-, or 8-way?

#4 OFFLINE   vanzant

vanzant

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

The splitter is only a 2 way. :(

Anyone know the cheapest brick and mortar place to pick up a 4 way? Radio Shack maybe? I hate to order one and have to wait on it to arrive.

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

It's recommended to buy an approved green labeled splitter.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Your best bet would be a local independent satellite dealer.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

Check out Solid Signal for the splitter. With regard to your setup, would it be easier to run another coax from the main splitter to where you will have the Broadband DECA or do you have access to ethernet to your router near one of your receivers. If the latter, get a 2-way splitter and put it behind the receiver. One output goes to the receiver and the other to the Broadband DECA. In this case, you will also need two small RG6 jumper cables to go from the splitter to the receiver and the Broadband DECA.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   vanzant

vanzant

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

I think I got it, just to confirm I've re-posted a new diagram showing the way I think it should be setup. Can someone double check it?

In regards to my setup, the splitter is right beside my router.

Attached Thumbnails

• swim.JPG

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

I think I got it, just to confirm I've re-posted a new diagram showing the way I think it should be setup. Can someone double check it?

Looks good...Remember, the DECA needs a power supply.

#10 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,416 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

Looks good...Remember, the DECA needs a power supply.

Broadband BECA's are supposed to come with a power adapter. The DECA and power supply are even packaged in the same box. Hopefully, the OP got one with his/her purchase.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#11 OFFLINE   vanzant

vanzant

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Yeap got the power supply for the deca, I just didn't show it on the diagram.

So after this setup, how do I know if my receiver is getting an internet connection?

Right now I have MRV and I assume the DECA will allow me to watch VOD and use Directv2PC. Anything else it'll do? Is VOD free? What channels are they on?

#12 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,416 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

Re-run your network setup to make sure the receiver pulls an IP address from your router. It should tell you if it's successful when it's finished.

Another test is to hit the right arrow and see if TVAPPS come up.

Some VOD is free and is in the 1000's. Add a 1 in front of a channel you subscribe to and that's where its VOD equivalent should be (if there is one). For example, enter 1501 to see HBO VOD. Some stuff (Directv Cinema) is PPV though and will show up with a '$' next to it.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#13 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

An alternative is to connect the bedroom DVR directly to the 4-way splitter, leaving the SWM power inserter on the power passing port of the 4-way splitter and terminating the IRD out of the power inserter instead of the 4th output of the 4-way splitter.

Yeap got the power supply for the deca, I just didn't show it on the diagram.

So after this setup, how do I know if my receiver is getting an internet connection?

Right now I have MRV and I assume the DECA will allow me to watch VOD and use Directv2PC. Anything else it'll do? Is VOD free? What channels are they on?

Some VOD is free. If you subscribe to any premium channels, their corresponding VOD channel content is available. In the menu, start exploring Cinema Plus. Some of the content is newer movies that get downloaded automatically to your DVRs. The newer content is not free.

#14 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

"Some of the content is newer movies that get downloaded automatically to your DVRs. The newer content is not free."

Anything marked with a Green check mark is already downloaded to your dvr.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#15 OFFLINE   vanzant

vanzant

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

The local guys want too much for a splitter.

In checking ebay a 4 way splitter is about the same cost as a 8 way. $2-$3 buck more, any reason I couldn't use the 8 way? It'd allow me to have additional ports open for future expansion.

here's what i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f9b54177

#16 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

The only downside is that there will be slightly more loss with an 8-way than with a 4-way, but if you think you will need to expand that would probably be a good idea.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

The local guys want too much for a splitter.

In checking ebay a 4 way splitter is about the same cost as a 8 way. $2-$3 buck more, any reason I couldn't use the 8 way? It'd allow me to have additional ports open for future expansion.

here's what i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f9b54177

The difference between a 4-way and an 8-way is 5dB more loss.
It isn't a good idea to use a larger splitter than you need, as it just drops the SAT levels more and could cause rainfade sooner.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys, been a long time! Thanks for the thread, vanzant.

Over at my brother's who just received a load of DECA stuff from Solid Signal and now I'm supposed to hook it all up for him. There were no Band Stop Filters in the box. Looking at the diagram on the SS website, which features a 5 LNB and old-style SWM, I've got a couple of questions:

Receiver list: HR22, H23, and H24
Splitter: Green Label 8-way (for future expansion)

Are there any Band Stop Filters required anywhere in this installation?

The diagram shows the SWM power inserter upstream of the splitter. Is there anyway to place it anywhere else, since the splitter is outside and there is no AC at that location?

Edited by K4SMX, 02 April 2011 - 05:52 PM.

Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#19 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

The difference between a 4-way and an 8-way is 5dB more loss.
It isn't a good idea to use a larger splitter than you need, as it just drops the SAT levels more and could cause rainfade sooner.

I don't have the LNB or SWM specs, but possibly the gain of these is high enough that the noise figure is essentially established prior to the splitter with some degree of margin, so that rainfade might not be affected by a small increase in post-SWM loss.

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hi guys, been a long time! Thanks for the thread, vanzant.

Over at my brother's who just received a load of DECA stuff from Solid Signal and now I'm supposed to hook it all up for him. There were no Band Stop Filters in the box. Looking at the diagram on the SS website, which features a 5 LNB and old-style SWM, I've got a couple of questions:

Receiver list: HR22, H23, and H24
Splitter: Green Label 8-way (for future expansion)

Are there any Band Stop Filters required anywhere in this installation?

The diagram shows the SWM power inserter upstream of the splitter. Is there anyway to place it anywhere else, since the splitter is outside and there is no AC at that location?

Ideally you should have a band stop filter between the SWM and the splitter, to avoid issues from the high level DECA signal. I don't have a filter installed on mine and it works fine, but YMMV.

Actually I have a filter and another splitter but have never gotten around to installing them in the crawl space (at 72, I'm getting to be too old to be crawling around down there unless I really need to).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...