Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV HD GUI Anticipation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
838 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,294 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

New info from DirecTV: HD On Screen Guide

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Edit: Guess I didn't look back far enough.

Edited by Groundhog45, 20 October 2011 - 09:00 PM.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

New info from DirecTV: HD On Screen Guide

I don't think this has been posted yet.

It was posted above.

#783 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

Also the grey writing on black background isn't the easiers to read either.

That is just simply wrong. It could not be any easier to read. Trust me.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#784 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

I have the R22 which I know will receive the new guide but my question is will I be able to receive it since I don't have hd access on my account. It is hooked up to a 1080p tv and can play hd on demand but maybe they won't activate the new guide with out hd access. Can anyone say different?

#785 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

I'm pretty sure the HD GUI is independent of what programming--HD or SD--to which you're subscribed.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#786 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm pretty sure the HD GUI is independent of what programming--HD or SD--to which you're subscribed.

No. It's dependent on the hardware you have. SD hardware won't have an HD GUI.

#787 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Loving the preview of this... I'm excited to see it roll out. It will be a NICE improvement. I hope it is two weeks or less as mentioned above.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AR100U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#788 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Loving the preview of this... I'm excited to see it roll out. It will be a NICE improvement. I hope it is two weeks or less as mentioned above.

If it starts in two weeks, that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will get it in two weeks. This firmware update may take longer to roll out to everyone than any other firmware update they have ever done.

It could conceivably take a couple of months. Patience will be needed by all.

Reason? They will be inundated with calls........ They will roll this sucker out s l o w l y. ;)

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#789 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

...It could conceivably take a couple of months. Patience will be needed by all. Reason? They will be inundated with calls........ They will roll this sucker out s l o w l y. ;)

Very true and understandable. I just wanna know how to be first in line. :lol:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AR100U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#790 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

While the R22 may be "SD" it is capable of HD and is actually an HR21.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#791 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

But the R22 has pretty much the same software as the HR units. Of course not all HD equipment will get the new GUI either, the H20 is out.

#792 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

But the R22 has pretty much the same software as the HR units. Of course not all HD equipment will get the new GUI either, the H20 is out.

I'm Glad it is (left out) as I use my H20 for feeding all my SD TV"S & PIP on my HD sets :) and with the RF attena attached I can change channels from my out building 100' away.

Works great don't mess with it (PLEASE):lol:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#793 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

I'm Glad it is (left out) as I use my H20 for feeding all my SD TV"S & PIP on my HD sets :) and with the RF attena attached I can change channels from my out building 100' away.

Works great don't mess with it (PLEASE):lol:

I don't think you'll see many (or any changes) on that model from now on. The last "big" update, which still was just various improvements was over 2 years ago. Nothing at all for about a year.

#794 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

The improved speed makes will make such complaints less relevant. When you can move around that Guide faster than your mind can process it, the 1.5 hours and 6 channels isn't as big of a deal. :)

B.S. I shouldn't have to push any buttons to find out what's on two hours from now. Besides, all their competitors can do it and no one complains it's too small. If you really want to make it simple, the DVR knows if the display is configured as 4:3 or 16:9. They can adjust the guide accordingly. Or make it independently user configurable.

I agree that six channels is probably close to the limit -- maybe they can squeeze in one more.

Other than that, it looks nice and looks like they have caught up to their competitors.

#795 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

B.S. I shouldn't have to push any buttons to find out what's on two hours from now. Besides, all their competitors can do it and no one complains it's too small...

All their competitors huh? Time Warner Navigator and I-Guide (which other providers use, too) doesn't...they have the same amount of time. Uverse only has an extra 30 minutes.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#796 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

If it starts in two weeks, that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will get it in two weeks. This firmware update may take longer to roll out to everyone than any other firmware update they have ever done.

It could conceivably take a couple of months. Patience will be needed by all.

Reason? They will be inundated with calls........ They will roll this sucker out s l o w l y. ;)

I was involved in a D* poll about the HD GUI. The dates used in the poll questions were for early to mid Nov.
The firmware is being tested presently. It shouldn't be buggy.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#797 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

The improved speed makes will make such complaints less relevant. When you can move around that Guide faster than your mind can process it, the 1.5 hours and 6 channels isn't as big of a deal. :)

With all do respect, increase speed will never alleviate my desire to see all of primetime, three hours, on one screen.

#798 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'd bet the best way to explain what will get the new GUI is that if the hardware is able to do mrv, it will get the new GUI. I can't think of an instance where that isn't correct, can you?

#799 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

http://www.directv.c...=-1&lpos=header

I think it is coming soon since directv has a webpage about the new gui

I hope its as fast as it looks on the clip they show. My HR's have been crawling lately and its getting annoying.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#800 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Just remember I'm typing this on a computer where the screen is set to no wallpaper and the color is black with white text for high contrast. I just looked at the DirecTV page showing the new HD GUI and not impressed. Gray text on black?

For me 1.5 hour guide is a killer. When I want to look at the whole evening and I can't see my complete locals prime time 3 hour in one screen I'm bummed. To be honest I'd like to see what I believe no provider supplies, a 4 Hour guide.

I of course want my major locals in which I include the 4 networks, old time independents and Three PBS stations, 8 Stations in all. Once again no one that I know of. Keeping a P.I.G. and description of highlighted channel of course.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...