Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Mover Receiver Question

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

I will be moving soon and the place I'm moving to has only one dish. In my area (Cedar Rapids, IA) I had 2 dishes installed when I first got my service in 2008 and the plates the technicians installed in my house had 2 connections. However, I've noticed that more and more people have only one dish and I noticed my new house only has one connection plates in all the rooms, is this a feature of only having one dish? I have an HR21-200 HD DVR receiver and an H20-100 HD receiver and while the H20-100 only has one Sat connection, the HR21-200 has 2 that are both connected (and also has a dongle connected to each Sat connection). Will these 2 receivers work with a newer dish or will I have to upgrade these? I don't know what model dish I currently have, but I included pictures of what mine looks like (I also have a small round dish) and what the one at my new house looks like (I think these pictures are right). Thanks for any help.

Current house
Posted Image

New house
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bhuber

bhuber

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationWilton, IA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Your receivers will work fine with the new dish as its all you need to get everything plus your locals.

Hopefully the new dish is a SWiM dish so you don't need to run an extra cable for the DVR and you will get to lose the "dongle" (BBC) thats connected to the back of the receivers currently.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

The one line per receiver would be correct if the new house has a SWM system.

#4 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Another question, if I do have a SWM setup, would I be able to put an OTA antenna outside and connect that via the SWM? I have the AM21 off air tuner but I'm not sure of the best way to get the signal from outside to inside. I currently use an indoor antenna but the reception isn't great.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

You can't diplex OTA in with a SWM ODU you would need a SWM 8 or 16. However if you want to have WHDVR then you can't diplex so you would need to run another line.

#6 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

So what is the point of a SWM LNB (as I understand it's mounted to the dish)? Wouldn't you still then have to run cables from the dish to each room you want on the outside of the house? It seems that the SWM system should be insde where you can easily connect all the cables from the outside to the SWM and then connect all the rooms like you would with regular cable. Just a question as I don't know much about this or its purpose.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

So what is the point of a SWM LNB (as I understand it's mounted to the dish)? Wouldn't you still then have to run cables from the dish to each room you want on the outside of the house? It seems that the SWM system should be insde where you can easily connect all the cables from the outside to the SWM and then connect all the rooms like you would with regular cable. Just a question as I don't know much about this or its purpose.

With a SWiM, there is only one cable, which then connects to a splitter, which then has coax runs to each location needed, so from the splitter it is exactly like "regular cable".
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

With a SWiM, there is only one cable, which then connects to a splitter, which then has coax runs to each location needed, so from the splitter it is exactly like "regular cable".

Thanks. I've been reading up more on the whole SWM thing, it makes more sense now. In fact, I might not need DirecTV to come out and hook stuff up, since there is already a DirecTV dish hooked up. I just need to figure out if the dish has a SWM ODU or not. Can I buy a Power Inserter separate of a SWM or do they come together?

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks. I've been reading up more on the whole SWM thing, it makes more sense now. In fact, I might not need DirecTV to come out and hook stuff up, since there is already a DirecTV dish hooked up. I just need to figure out if the dish has a SWM ODU or not. Can I buy a Power Inserter separate of a SWM or do they come together?

Places like solidsignal will sell you any/everything you need.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Is there a way to visually determine if a dish has a SWM or not? I've attached a picture of the DirecTV wires that go into the house, not sure if anyone can tell what kind of a dish it is from this.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

That's just a grounding block but chances are it's not a SWM because of the 4 cables. Check how many cables are coming from the ODU itself prior to being connected to anything else.

#12 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

There are 4 cables running out of the dish so that does seem to indicate the dish does not have a SWM. Would it be better to get a SWM 8 and install it inside or replace the 3 LNB head with a SWM 3 LNB head? Cost isn't the issue, more convenience. If I changed the head I'd have to either leave the 4 cables running into the house or rip it all out for the 1 cable. Also, since I have an appointment setup as I'm a new mover, will they be able to provide me with a SWM 8 for free as part of the mover program or will it cost me?

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

There are 4 cables running out of the dish so that does seem to indicate the dish does not have a SWM. Would it be better to get a SWM 8 and install it inside or replace the 3 LNB head with a SWM 3 LNB head? Cost isn't the issue, more convenience. If I changed the head I'd have to either leave the 4 cables running into the house or rip it all out for the 1 cable. Also, since I have an appointment setup as I'm a new mover, will they be able to provide me with a SWM 8 for free as part of the mover program or will it cost me?

They'd install a SWM LNB the multi-switch is should only be installed for people with international dish as well when the flext port is needed.

If all of your equipment is SWM compatible the tech will bring everything that's needed. If you have non compatible equipment they will leave the current dish and install everything like normal.

#14 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

The SWM 8 is compatible with an OTA antenna though right? I think you still need a diplexer at the receiver to work right but isn't that one thing the SWM 8 can do that the SWM LNB can't?

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

The SWM 8 is compatible with an OTA antenna though right? I think you still need a diplexer at the receiver to work right but isn't that one thing the SWM 8 can do that the SWM LNB can't?

see post 5

#16 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Since I've already setup my new mover appointment, do I need to specifically request they bring a SWM LNB or is that considered "standard" for a mover installation. There is already a dish in place where I'm moving that has a 3 LNB but it does not have the SWM built in, and I couldn't locate one where the cables come into the basement. I attached pictures of a box I did see, but I'm not sure this box is related to the DirecTV setup or not. The out runs to a splitter, the in appeared to come from the 4 inputs coming from the dish outside which was condensed to 1 coax inside. It was hard to make sense of the jumble of wires down there as they had lines from Dish Network dishes on the roof coming in as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

On a Mover, if you have all SWM-compatible receivers and HD, you'll get either a SWM LNB (if you have 8 or fewer tuners), or a legacy LNB and a SWM16 (9-16 tuners).

SWM8s are NOT used except for HD installs that also need the International dish, have 1-8 tuners, and all SWM-compatible receivers.

The tech generally will have to install what's on the work order, and the work orders are auto-generated by the computer based on what equipment and programming you have and your new address.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#18 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

The second set of pictures are of a 'cable system' line amp. It will not work with satillite service.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

On a Mover, if you have all SWM-compatible receivers and HD, you'll get either a SWM LNB (if you have 8 or fewer tuners), or a legacy LNB and a SWM16 (9-16 tuners).

If the existing system is sufficient, will they change it out anyway?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

I called DirecTV to talk about the more technical aspects of the installation and the representative indicated to me they will more than likely install a SWM LNB and a new SlimLine dish (that's apparently smaller than they used to be) so hopefully that's what they have on hand. I'm going to see if they can install an extra cable from where the dish is for an OTA antenna as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...