Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Mover Receiver Question

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

I don't think you would want a significantly smaller dish. Then again, I'm not sure I buy that they actually offer a noticeably smaller Ka/Ku dish. The Slimline (32.5" x 22.5") is only 2.87% smaller than the AT-9.

What would be wrong with having a smaller dish? Also, the CSR just told him the dish is smaller than what he has, not that it is significantly smaller.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Do DirecTV installers have a device that can tell which cables down in the basement go to which rooms upstairs for wiring purposes? If they install a SWM LNB then the power inverter will be in the basement and split off to the existing cable connections, but those aren't labeled or anything. I'm hoping this is the way it will go, anyway.

No. Most likely, they will just disconnect all the cables in the basement and re-connect them to a SWM splitter.

- Merg

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

No. Most likely, they will just disconnect all the cables in the basement and re-connect them to a SWM splitter.

- Merg

Their new AIM meter has the function to measure a coax with a 25 ohm load.
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

All installers should have some kind of tool to tone out lines. This one is cheap ($15), popular, and easy to use:

Posted Image

http://www.summitsou...ine-p-8477.html

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#30 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Here's a question about my move. We're closing on our new house the same day the buyer of our old house is closing, and that's the day I have DirecTV scheduled to come out (in the afternoon). Do I just leave my satellite dish at my old house and will they come and uninstall it (or ask the new owners what they want to do) or should I take it off and leave the wiring outside?

#31 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

DirecTV does NOT uninstall dishes. Once installed, you own it, and what you do with it is up to you.

Also, I *strongly* recommend that you do NOT schedule an install on "moving day." In many cases, it will just end up being rescheduled anyway, but you'll end up wasting your time and DirecTV's.

In order for a tech to even start a Mover, you must have all of your receivers and remotes at the new house, with a TV at each one, and it is *strongly* recommended that all associated furniture (TV stands, etc.) is also present, so that nothing will be moved once installed. Due to the harsh penalties for the installers if anything isn't up to code, if you aren't fully prepared, you install will just get rescheduled, because they won't start a job that they can't complete and leave fully up-to-code.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#32 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Can anyone explain why I still need a 72.5 dish to get my SD locals? I tried setting up my system using just the 5LNB in the selection menu and everything comes up, except my SD locals. I'm in Cedar Rapids, IA and I thought the locals already moved to another satellite. It doesn't seem to be an issue with HD locals, just SD. Do I need to change something else in my setup? I have a 5 LNB with the 6x8 multiswitch and the receiver connected to my SD TV is an H20-100. And the 72.5 dish is connected to one of the legacy ports on the switch.

#33 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Can anyone explain why I still need a 72.5 dish to get my SD locals? I tried setting up my system using just the 5LNB in the selection menu and everything comes up, except my SD locals. I'm in Cedar Rapids, IA and I thought the locals already moved to another satellite. It doesn't seem to be an issue with HD locals, just SD. Do I need to change something else in my setup? I have a 5 LNB with the 6x8 multiswitch and the receiver connected to my SD TV is an H20-100. And the 72.5 dish is connected to one of the legacy ports on the switch.

Since March 2009, you should only be on one dish. As for SD locals, if you have a HD receiver hooked to your SDTV, just use the HD channels. Even thought the TV is SD, you will still see a better picture by using all HD channels on that TV.

- Merg

#34 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

I had another chance to look at the house today and I'm more confused. I located the DirecTV cables coming into the basement, and then they are split off and seem to go up into the house, but there wasn't a SWM involved anywhere. Is this a possible setup or does anyone have a clue what's going on? I know it's hard without a picture but the dish is a Slimline 3LNB with 4 lines running into the basement, then the lines (come in pairs of 2) are split off and it looks like it runs up to the rest of the house. There was no splitter involved, just a bridge connection for each line. It kind of looks like the connection I posted a picture of earlier in this thread, just on the inside of the house.

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

"Sounds like" there were only four tuners before, so each coax came off the dish and ran to the locations directly. What you see is a ground block on the four.
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

"Sounds like" there were only four tuners before, so each coax came off the dish and ran to the locations directly. What you see is a ground block on the four.

So if I only have 2 receivers and don't plan on ever having more than 3, if I just hookup my receivers (assuming I find the right four connections as more than 4 rooms have cable hookups) will they work, or does my HD DVR still need 2 connections and the B-band converters?

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

So if I only have 2 receivers and don't plan on ever having more than 3, if I just hookup my receivers (assuming I find the right four connections as more than 4 rooms have cable hookups) will they work, or does my HD DVR still need 2 connections and the B-band converters?

This isn't a SWiM setup [since there are four cables from the dish] so two for each DVR will be needed and any model other than the HR23, will need the BBCs.
You may need to find out where these four cable end up. If they go to four different rooms, then none will work for a DVR that has both tuners active.
If you're planning on not having more than 3 receivers, switching to a SWiM LNB will work for you, as you can have four DVRs, all with a single coax to each.
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

This isn't a SWiM setup [since there are four cables from the dish] so two for each DVR will be needed and any model other than the HR23, will need the BBCs.
You may need to find out where these four cable end up. If they go to four different rooms, then none will work for a DVR that has both tuners active.
If you're planning on not having more than 3 receivers, switching to a SWiM LNB will work for you, as you can have four DVRs, all with a single coax to each.

Yeah, I'm hoping they bring a SWiM LNB for the install as that would make things much better, especially since none of the wall plates in the house have 2 jacks, meaning no room is setup for a DVR without the SWiM. I will locate which rooms each cable in the basement go to (hopefully) in the couple days I have before the install to make life easier. Are there any advantages to a 5 LNB head over a 3 LNB? I don't know what programming comes off 110 and 119 that I watch, if there is any. I've noticed that any new installs in the area (they only get one dish now) have the 3 LNB (smaller) head.

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

If you're seeing the SL3, then your local SD doesn't come off 119.
110 is basically gone, so that only leaves the international channels and a couple/few music channels on the 119.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

If you're seeing the SL3, then your local SD doesn't come off 119.
110 is basically gone, so that only leaves the international channels and a couple/few music channels on the 119.

Yep, I just looked at the transponder map and it shows the SD channels coming off the 72.5 satellite so I'll see if my TV can display the HD locals so I can disconnect the small dish. Are these good for anything, like a portable setup or something? What can they pick up if pointed correctly?

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,038 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

There are 17 Sonic Tap channels on 119W.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#42 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

My SD tv got nothing when I turned it to the HD locals, just searching for signal. Do I need to configure the setup again to ignore the 72.5 dish? I'm guessing it's just my TV. FYI, I have my SD tv hooked up to my H20-100 via component cables, might this be the issue?

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

My SD tv got nothing when I turned it to the HD locals, just searching for signal. Do I need to configure the setup again to ignore the 72.5 dish? I'm guessing it's just my TV. FYI, I have my SD tv hooked up to my H20-100 via component cables, might this be the issue?

If you've disconnected the 72.5 dish, then YES you need to re-run the SAT setup and select the right dish.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Make sure you have the H20 set to only send out 480i and possibly 480p resolutions if your TV supports 480p. You might currently be trying to send 720p or 1080i over component to your SDtv and that is why it isn't showing anything, it can't understand the HD signal.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#45 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Make sure you have the H20 set to only send out 480i and possibly 480p resolutions if your TV supports 480p. You might currently be trying to send 720p or 1080i over component to your SDtv and that is why it isn't showing anything, it can't understand the HD signal.

I think my issue actually is the signal strength but I don't know what's wrong. In the basement on my HR21-200 I get 80s and 90s on 99c, 103ca, 103cb and 103s, transponder 21 (where my HD locals are). However, on my H20-100 when I check signal strength I get all 0s on 99c, 103cb and 103s transponder 21, but get signals on 103ca, so if I tune to ESPNUHD, for example, it shows up fine on my SD tv hooked up to the H20-100. Can anyone make sense of this? Even just a way to get the 103s signal on the H20-100. Thanks. I have a Multiswitch with 2 lines running to the basement and main level, but only one cable hooked up to the H20-100 as it only has 1 tuner input.

EDIT: Is the issue that I don't have a b band converter on the back of my H20-100?

Edited by heisman6183, 12 April 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#46 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,474 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Yes, the H20 does need a B Band Converter.

#47 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Like Carl said, if you have B-Band converters on your HR21, you need one on the H20 also.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...