Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any way to do this without recommitment?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brian_R

Brian_R

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Currently I'm in month 16 of my 24 month commitment, and due to possibly moving don't want to re-up my commitment. With that said is there a way to turn this setup:

HR22-100 (HDDVR)
H21-200 (HD)
D12-500 (SD)
D12-500 (SD)

and upgrade a SD box to HDDVR + Whole home or possibly that + the HD box to a HDDVR without a re-up?

Everything I've read screams no way, you'll need to pay the piper and re-up, but I wanted to see if there was something I missed.

Thanks! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

I would think not, but there's only one way to find out. ;)

EDIT: Above meant for getting receivers from DIRECTV. Owned is a different story.

Edited by hilmar2k, 31 March 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

It'll cost you. Buy an owned HRDVR, add it (owned receivers don't extend contracts), buy DECAs and other MRV stuff (or do unsupported MRV on your own network).
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

Owned receivers will not start or extend a commitment. DECAs can be found nice and cheap on ebay for self install. :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

Purchased receivers not supplied by direct WILL start a new commitment. Have done that several times, and theres no way around it, for brand new receivers anyway, dont know about old junk ones.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

Owned receivers will not start or extend a commitment. DECAs can be found nice and cheap on ebay for self install. :)

Purchased receivers not supplied by direct WILL start a new commitment. Have done that several times, and theres no way around it, for brand new receivers anyway, dont know about old junk ones.

We seem to have a difference of opinion here...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Well this is how it works, and this entire thread is about why a new commitment was started

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=191507

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

If an owned receiver is sold, when the new owner activates it properly it will remained listed as owned, not leased and no commitment is added. Many users here do this and know this.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Well this is how it works, and this entire thread is about why a new commitment was started

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=191507

That's not even close to this situation. She got a leased receiver from a dealer under the protection plan. She wasn't trying to buy an owned receiver.

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

From whom are you buying brand new receivers that are owned?

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

From whom are you buying brand new receivers that are owned?

He's not he just doesn't know what he talks about. He takes every negative post as gospel and when someone says it's something different he ignores it. Do a search and you'll see that there is a common trend.

To the OP Matt is correct. You can buy owned equipment, not new from a retailer, and activate it without an agreement. WHDVR doesn't require an agreement unless you have to have equipmetn swapped out. So you could buy all the receivers you want first and then order the upgrade and they will do the installation of the WHDVR. If you don't need SWM already a self install might be cheaper if you can run a line to the broad band deca or can use a splitter near a TV if the network is there.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

He's not he just doesn't know what he talks about. He takes every negative post as gospel and when someone says it's something different he ignores it. Do a search and you'll see that there is a common trend.

Oh, I know what his deal is (I'm not new here ;)). Just wanted to ask the question to point out the lack of logic in his post.

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

The "purchase" you are referring to is the cost to lease a receiver. An actual customer owned unit being activated does not start or extend a commitment.

There are many well used customer owned receivers out there that are not junk. Just because the receivers you encounter don't work due to some mysteriously bad equipment that only you seem to get does not mean that you can't get a receiver that works just as well as a brand new one without a commitment.

Someone once told me "learn your craft." If you are going to do something as a job, learn the details and do it properly or move on to something else. Learn your craft, buddy.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#14 OFFLINE   Brian_R

Brian_R

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

So what I got out of all of this was:

A) Buy a HR24 "Owned" receiver - only places to get this would be eBay or DBSTalk buy / sell forum, right?
B) Grab the DECA bits I would need from either eBay / DBSTalk Buy / Sell, or a retailer.

I would in essence incur an extra $5 / month until my contract is up since I'm "adding" a receiver and can't ditch one of the leased D12s as a swap-out because I would either extend my contract or incur a termination fee?

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

So what I got out of all of this was:

A) Buy a HR24 "Owned" receiver - only places to get this would be eBay or DBSTalk buy / sell forum, right?
B) Grab the DECA bits I would need from either eBay / DBSTalk Buy / Sell, or a retailer.

I would in essence incur an extra $5 / month until my contract is up since I'm "adding" a receiver and can't ditch one of the leased D12s as a swap-out because I would either extend my contract or incur a termination fee?

A) Yes. Just be very careful and call DIRECTV to verify that the unit in question is indeed owned.
B) Yes.

Slight correction, additional receivers are now $6. You should, however, be able to swap out one of the leased D12s and send it back without any fees or penalties.

#16 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Cancelation fees apply to the account not receivers. You're obligated to keep 1 active receiver on your account with the minimum level of programming in order to not incure the cancelation fee. Dropping or adding receivers will not have an impact on that unless you add a leased receiver wich will start a new agreement.

#17 OFFLINE   Brian_R

Brian_R

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

Since I would be getting rid of a D12 would I still need to buy a new access card or can I use the one out of the D12?

#18 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

You will have to get a new access card. Like I always say...

Remember, when shopping for a used receiver to always check the receiver ID with the access card distribution team (ACDT). Often, whoever first answers the phone at DIRECTV insists they can help with this, and more often than not, they give inaccurate, incomplete, and just downright wrong information. Make sure you are talking to the access card distribution team when calling. If the first person you talk to won't transfer you there, call back and speak to someone else that will.

The receiver must have a receiver ID
The receiver must have been owned on the last account it was active on
The receiver must disconnected, no longer receiving programming service
The last account the receiver was on must be in good standing and not past due or in collections

Make certain the agent is looking at the last active account. Some agents are new, and even though they should know better, they sometimes mistakenly think if it was ever leased or ever on an account in bad standing ever in its life it is no good. This is completely incorrect thinking. If all four above are good, then you will be able to use it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#19 OFFLINE   pressureman0

pressureman0

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

move to a mpeg 4 market all equipment is upgrade to mpeg4 :D

#20 OFFLINE   pressureman0

pressureman0

AllStar

• Registered