Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing beginning of programs

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Two programs from the other day got cut short at the beginning. I typically use the 1 minute early start & 3 minute ending late, which is 1 hr 4 mins for a one hour program. Both of these displayed 1 hr 1 min. The extra 3 mins at the end were there, but they started a few mins into the programs. Nothing else was being recorded immediately before or after. One program is set to record weekly & it has always been correct. The other was a one time scheduled recording. It is on every weekday but I pick & choose which episodes I want. I may schedule this 2 or 3 times a week & it too has always been correct.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

OTA or satellite delivered?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

Both programs were satellite and different channels.

I went back into the history just to see what dates had the problems. If I hit "Info" on the remote, a screen comes up showing the following:

Start Time: 3:39 pm
AV Record: 4:01 pm
Stop Time: 5:03 pm
AV Stopped: 5:03 pm

I presume " AV" stands for Audio/Video. Obviously it is starting 2 mins later than scheduled. The second program had the same scenario, starting 2 mins late. There is no blank 2 min recording at the beginning, playback just starts a couple minutes late with no delay. I checked a few other correctly recorded programs and their AV Record times matched the Start Times.

This has occurred twice with one program & once with another. I've recorded other programs since then, sat & OTA, without a problem. I don't recall if anything was recorded intermingled with these 3 problem programs. The TV if off right now & I'll check on that later.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

I did have one recording take place between two of the corrupted ones. It recorded at the typical 1hr 4mins. The only thing I can find in common with the problem recordings is that they all took place in the afternoon. However they used to be correct before last Thurs. I'll see what happens next week.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:33 AM

So far the one program recorded properly this week, the other one is scheduled for later.

But now two other programs have the first 2 minutes cut off from last night. What the heck is going on?

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Sometimes channel providers deliberately move the start times around just to frustrate those who record and do not view live broadcasts.

ABC tried this several years ago and got a lot of flack for it.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

Now ABC just screws with the end time. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

The start time is OK as previously mentioned. The history data shows the following on the corrupt recordings.

Start Time: 3:39 pm
AV Record: 4:01 pm
Stop Time: 5:03 pm
AV Stopped: 5:03 pm

On properly recorded programs the Start Time and AV Record are exactly the same. Something is changing that AV Record time on the problem recordings.

#9 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

How many shows are recording when the event is supposed to start? Is it just the one, or are there a couple things recording off the hour before?

I'm thinking maybe a timer conflict that is resolving itself by priority right now (recording the extra 3 minutes off the shows before hand, and cutting off the next timer).

What does it say in the daily schedule for the timers (DVRx3 to get there)?

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#10 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

It's the networks for sure. It's a game they play because they can. Idiots.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

How many shows are recording when the event is supposed to start? Is it just the one, or are there a couple things recording off the hour before?

I'm thinking maybe a timer conflict that is resolving itself by priority right now (recording the extra 3 minutes off the shows before hand, and cutting off the next timer).

What does it say in the daily schedule for the timers (DVRx3 to get there)?

Four out of the five times there was nothing being recorded at the same time, or immediately before or after the corrupted program.

The fifth recording was on sat tuner #1 from 6:59pm to 8:03pm and another program was on sat tuner #2 from 7:59pm to 9:10pm. The info screen indicated a Start Time of 6:59pm and an AV Record of 7:01pm for that fifth corrupted program.

The question is - what is causing the AV Record times to be different than the Start Times? With a normal recording these times are the same.

#12 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

What receiver is this on? Also, what's the SW version?

Social Media

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

It's the networks for sure. It's a game they play because they can. Idiots.

If it was the network's fault the OP would still have a 1 hr, 4 minute recording. I's showing up as being shorter so it's a problem in either the timer or perhaps a lack of signal at the time the timer fired. I've had numerous short programs that started late. It turned out to be a bad LNB not getting the signal (this has since been rectified with the installation of a 1000.4 WA dish) :)
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

What receiver is this on? Also, what's the SW version?

DVR is a ViP722k
SW version: L682RMKB-N

From the time the problem started I have recorded 26 programs, 6 of which were corrupted. The last bad one was this evening.

I unplugged/plugged the DVR this evening & will see if that clears up the problem.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

If it was the network's fault the OP would still have a 1 hr, 4 minute recording. I's showing up as being shorter so it's a problem in either the timer or perhaps a lack of signal at the time the timer fired. I've had numerous short programs that started late. It turned out to be a bad LNB not getting the signal (this has since been rectified with the installation of a 1000.4 WA dish) :)

All 6 of the short programs are via sat tuner. How would I find out which LNB or satellite is used? Perhaps this is what they have in common. To my knowledge I have a 1000.4 dish. It is EA & only 6 months old, but perhaps something is starting to act up.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

I've had numerous short programs that started late. It turned out to be a bad LNB not getting the signal (this has since been rectified with the installation of a 1000.4 WA dish) :)

After unplugged/plugged back in last night the guide & timers came back up & looked proper. Of course I won't know if there is still a problem until a few programs get recorded.

That being said, when I turned on the DVR today there was a message that there was a signal loss. This was not the small message that comes up when you have rain fade. This was quite lengthy & explained I can still watch other program, etc. I hit the channel up button on the remote & the DVR then performed as normal.

Could this signal loss also be symptomatic of a bad LNB?

#17 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

False signal loss messages happen from time to time. Normally has something to do with the nightly updates freezing up, but a reset should get it back to normal.

Let us know what happens with your timers.

Social Media

#18 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

After unplugged/plugged back in last night the guide & timers came back up & looked proper. Of course I won't know if there is still a problem until a few programs get recorded.

That being said, when I turned on the DVR today there was a message that there was a signal loss. This was not the small message that comes up when you have rain fade. This was quite lengthy & explained I can still watch other program, etc. I hit the channel up button on the remote & the DVR then performed as normal.

Could this signal loss also be symptomatic of a bad LNB?

That's the exact same message I got all the time on my old Dish/LNB. It was not a false signal loss, I actually had to reposition my 61.5 dish to rectify the situation. I have not had a single problem (I hope I don't jinx myself) since getting the 1000.4 WA dish.

All of my short recordings were coupled with that signal loss message. My troubles began when channels were moved around on the EA. At the time I had a "split arc" setup: 119/110/61.5. When some channels got moved to 61.5 that were duplicates to those found on 119 & 110 the 61.5 versions "hijacked" the WA versions. Couple that with a bad pole mount on my 61.5 dish and it spelled problems.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Michael P,

I'm trying to see if all the short programs were from the same satellite which would mean the same LNB would be used. I'm in the Chicagoland area & here's what I've been able to find out by looking at various charts for the problem channels.

2 - CBS/WBBM, sat # 61.5
32 - FOX/WFLD, sat # 61.5
182 - Discovery Channel, sat # 61.5
231 - RFDTV, sat # 72.7

The odd one is #231 which is on a different satellite than the others. I could be wrong in looking up this data. Or maybe things have changed since Dish moved things around on the EA a few months ago. However the charts I looked at should be up to date.

I just turned on the Dish DVR & TV and got the long error message again. Obviously there is a problem somewhere. It's time to contact my local installer & get things fixed.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

I've had a few more missed beginnings over the past few weeks. One was shifted by 3 minutes from the default 1 minute start early, thereby cutting off the first 2 minutes of the program. And I just had a manual timer start time clipped by 2 minutes. That makes 14 occurrences in 7 months. In all cases the "AV Record time" has been changed from the "Start Time". It's time for a DVR swap.

spam firewall