Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing beginning of programs

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

Have you tried deleting the affected timers and setting up new timers? Please let me know if that helps. Thanks.

I've had a few more missed beginnings over the past few weeks. One was shifted by 3 minutes from the default 1 minute start early, thereby cutting off the first 2 minutes of the program. And I just had a manual timer start time clipped by 2 minutes. That makes 14 occurrences in 7 months. In all cases the "AV Record time" has been changed from the "Start Time". It's time for a DVR swap.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Have you tried deleting the affected timers and setting up new timers? Please let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Yes. In fact some where one time only recordings. And I have unplugged/plugged the DVR but it made no difference.

Dish said they would swap DVRs but could not guarantee I'd get a new one. I realize a refurb might be just fine. But I might also be getting someone else's problem. Or this might not even be a hardware problem, in which case I would be swapping my new when I got it DVR with a used DVR for no reason.

I also had the "playback ending early" problem as some others have had. The dealer swapped my DVR with another new one and I had the same problem a week later.

How does Dish refurb these DVRs when they can't fix the problem?

#23 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

This has happened 4 more times in the last 2 days. That brings the total up to 18 occurrences.

#24 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Since there is nothing starting before the show, why not try setting it to start 5 minutes ahead and see what happens?

Good Luck
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#25 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

Since there is nothing starting before the show, why not try setting it to start 5 minutes ahead and see what happens?

Good Luck

I've being changing the start time on some programs, but not all. But why is this happening in the first place?

#26 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

The problem is either the broadcasters or the studios.
Try to catch one of the programs live that you are recording and you will see that some start early and some late.

#27 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

The problem is either the broadcasters or the studios.
Try to catch one of the programs live that you are recording and you will see that some start early and some late.

But that does not explain the change in times as mentioned in message #3.

Start Time: 3:39 pm
AV Record: 4:01 pm
Stop Time: 5:03 pm
AV Stopped: 5:03 pm

#28 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

It just did it again. I had changed the default to start 2 minutes early so I only missed a few seconds at the beginning.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

I always start 2 min early and end 3 min late... Too many shows have started before the top of the hour and I missed some of it to mess around.. I can't explain the time discrepancy except to say that I *think* there is some interpolation at play... Like when it says how much space you have free but then you record or delete something and it doesn't change like you think it would...

I think sometimes the receiver just gets it wrong when it tells you the length of the recording.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I understand a show may not start exactly when it supposed to. But why does the AV Record time get changed from the Start Time on all of the corrupt recordings? On proper recordings these both are the same. Somehow something is changing the time.

#31 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have had this happen with my 722K since the L750 software was downloaded. It only happens with SAT channels and no matter how far ahead I set the program to begin, the program will not start recording until 2 minutes into the show! There never seems to be a pattern to time, day or program, other than, if 2 SAT channels are scheduled at the same time!

#32 OFFLINE   KevinRS

KevinRS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

I had a possibly related problem last week. I have a 722 on dual mode, and there's a high priority(11/56) 1 hour program, and a lower priority(54/56) 30 minute one that starts at the same time. Ok, so normally, if the 1 hour is a new episode, it gets recorded, the other doesn't, and I'm fine with that. Last week though, the half hour show recorded, and the second half of the hour show recorded.

Event Completed by User 1

Start Time: 7:59 pm
AV Recorded: 8:33 pm
Stop Time: 9:03 pm
AV Stopped: 9:03 pm

This week the timers were going to do the same, I had to manually skip the low priority show. Next week, show 2 isn't on at 8 according to the guide, so the conflict isn't there to look at. Reading this thread, people keep saying it's the broadcasters or studios, but it is obviously not that if the Start time and AV Recorded time do not agree. I'm going to have to keep an eye on it in case the guide changes, and leaves me with half an episode again.

To be clear, the show did start at 8, the guide showed it starting at 8, but something's screwed up in a recent update with priorities or something.

its on version L722, and has been since I saw the recording problem last week at least.

My expectation, even if the 30 minute show was higher priority than the 1 hour, the 30 minute would get recorded and not the 1 hour. In the past there was no normal way that timers could get a half episode.

As a test I just tried adding a 30 minute timer that conflicts with an existing 1 hour, and whatever I do, only the higher priority records, as expected, so it's not easily reproducible.

oh, and generally if 2 shows are recording 1 after the other, on different channels, the start early/end late has always been ignored for the time which would overlap(meaning the first one ends and the second starts right on the hour), which is as it should be. Not sure if this is screwing up lately, as I've not got all that many shows recording lately, between reruns, hiatus, weird season schedules etc.

Edited by KevinRS, 16 January 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

This is all due to Blockbuster. I had all these problems with the 722 with L722. What I did was removed the DVR from the Internet. No more problems.

If you ask me I would say Dish made a big mistake taking on Blockbuster.

I am thinking of switching to DTV. Pending tree trimming.

New name Dishbuster.

#34 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

This is all due to Blockbuster. I had all these problems with the 722 with L722. What I did was removed the DVR from the Internet. No more problems.

New name Dishbuster.

Well, I for one do not have my 722K connected to the Internet so that pretty much punches a hole into your theory as to why mine acts up now and then.

#35 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

New name Dishbuster.

I've had the problem since March 2011. Did Dish own BB that far back?

#36 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

It happened again. I noticed the program length was off by a couple of minutes & checked & the AV Recorded time had been changed to start 2 minutes later than programmed. This was a satellite tuner program & there was nothing else being recorded before it started.

#37 OFFLINE   Al Fischer

Al Fischer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I am a new user. Dish installed 2 days ago. The first thing I tried to record cut off the end of a movie. Nothing else was being one. Only 1 program being recorded and we were sleeping with the TV off at that time. This is the first DVR we have ever had so we obviously have a lot to learn. Happened on the 722k. Also have a 211k. Both new from Dish.

Where is the info about the start and end times the you refer to here found?

The whole thing about timer settings is not very clear.

Yes, I have read the book and explored the menus.

#38 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I am a new user. Dish installed 2 days ago. The first thing I tried to record cut off the end of a movie. Nothing else was being one. Only 1 program being recorded and we were sleeping with the TV off at that time. This is the first DVR we have ever had so we obviously have a lot to learn. Happened on the 722k. Also have a 211k. Both new from Dish.

Where is the info about the start and end times the you refer to here found?

The whole thing about timer settings is not very clear.

Yes, I have read the book and explored the menus.

The start & end times for “Missing beginning of programs” are mentioned near the beginning of this thread.

The thread regarding “Recording playback ended early?” is something different.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186279

#39 OFFLINE   Al Fischer

Al Fischer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Both programs were satellite and different channels.

Start Time: 3:39 pm
AV Record: 4:01 pm
Stop Time: 5:03 pm
AV Stopped: 5:03 pm

I meant how do you display these times? (I'm new and just learning!)

#40 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

I meant how do you display these times? (I'm new and just learning!)

Click the remote’s DVR button 3 times and scroll back in the Daily Schedule. Then select the program in question & hit the Info button. On a correct recording the Start Time & AV Record times are the same. But on a corrupt recording the Start Time displays the correct starting time, but the AV Recorded time has been changed by 2 minutes (or 3 mins). I guess it could be anything but I've always seen a 2 min change & only once a 3 min change. This has happened to me about 20 times within a year.

In the regular My Recordings listing you will also notice the program length is not 1 hour 4 minutes in length, which is the default start 1 min early & end 3 mins late. The corrupt recording displays 1 hr 2 mins or thereabouts. Sometime it varies by a minute & it must be due to the way it rounds off. But it will not be the default 1hr 4mins.

My workaround has been to change the default start time to 2 mins early. Therefore if it does get delayed by 2 mins then it still should be on time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...