Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing beginning of programs

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

Is the same tuner involved each time or does the problem "hop" from tuner to tuner?

Were there 2 programs recording at the same time just before the messed up recordings that may have delayed the start of the next recording?

Funny you should mention that. Earlier I was checking because there were 3 more corrupt recordings yesterday,

Channels 231 (RFDTV), 186 (NTGEO) and 314 (Cinemax).

Ususally there is nothing else being recorded at the same time, or immediately before or after. So there should be interferance from another recording.

All the ones that I can still check on the DVR indicated tuner #2. One might conclude that is the problem. However tuner #2 is the default tuner, and with nothing else being recorded at the same time the DVR will always choose #2.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Dish tech was out here again the other day & basically could not fix anything. He said changing the DVR & LNB probably would not make any difference. Other than changing these there was nothing else he can do. There is no one for him to call for additional help.

Dish called the next day for a phone survey. Since the issue was not resolved I was transferred to someone in the Advanced Technical Dept who actually knew about the "AV Recorded" time issue. He said I am not the only one having a problem. Sometimes a problem occurs after a software update. They fix one thing & something else gets affected. He did say it happens more often with DVRs that have the OTA module. He took my software & other DVR info to give to the appropriate dept in order to help figure out which units are affected by what. It’s finally nice to at least get an acknowledgement that Dish is aware of the situation & trying to correct things.

I had 3 corrupt recordings last Sunday but none since then. This problem occurs in random spurts. Several months go by without a hitch then there will be several problems. Hopefully Dish will find a permanent cure.

Edited by Mike109, 22 June 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Last night for the life of me I could not get a new sat timer to set for 1 minute early and 3 minutes late. This was to replace a 1e/3l timer that didn't record as it should and cut off the end of the program – AGAIN. It said it was set in the timer, there was nothing to be recorded after, but when you go to the recording that is to be done it's 0 and 0 in the timeline and there was another tuner available. While all the other skipped airings were labeled with the 1e/3l. But ALWAYS not the one I want or created the timer around. The old timer recorded and it says that it did 1 early and 3 later, but if you put the program in pause it shows the actual accurate physical real time length of the program and it's 0:59 (sometimes 1:00 or 1:01), not 1:04. And I have used a stop watch and it's 0:59. But when I had it record an encore airing it was 1e/3l and those always record as they should and there is plenty of time left at the end even without extending the timer. And using a stop watch again the show starts the same time that the other did and if the other didn't cut off the end it would have only needed to play for 1:01. This one cut off the last 50 seconds, which in TV time is months and sometimes the whole story. Why don't timers just work like they should, and in the slots that one originally programs them for? AND NO it's not the network. All my neighbors that have Cable or DTV and do not have this problem. Only DISH people. And as I have stated and will show the timers are not functioning as set.

The Hell on Wheels Encore set to record on 102 is marked 349 or something on the recording, the duration times are all over the place. Ends are cut off or minutes of the following recording are on the end of the previous showing. One would think that since this was a special appointment airing, that episodes would start when slated to. No "network manipulation". DISH has software issues and when I have asked those that would know from DISH, they change the subject. The timer software and EPG are a joke. The EPG shows the original European air dates and episode numbers for rebroadcasted material, but not what the "networks" (SyFy) needs for this showing. That really messes up timers. But just for regular timers the attached Suits example is very common.

Every time DISH sends out a tech because "it's a hardware issue", the tech and I talk and laugh for a bit, him not being able to do anything and not having to go through the motions with me and then he goes on his way. I have had some really good conversations with techs. I seriously think that the only way that DISH can fix this would be to step on TiVo patents, of which by now DISH could have owned many times over. But then the EPG is Tribune Broadcasting. That's a whole other barrel of BS.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1002.jpg
  • IMG_1003.jpg

Edited by FarmerBob, 07 September 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I just had another screwed up recording yesterday, Copper on BBCA. It was the only program being recorded all day. I padded it to start 5 mins early & end 5 mins late which gives me a 1 hour 10 minute recording. I knew there was a problem when I saw the recording was only 1:00 hour. I also verified this looking at its history.

The blankety-blank Dish DVR started the recording 10 minutes late!!!!

#55 OFFLINE   kimesco_DISH

kimesco_DISH

• DISH Representative
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

We need to gather some additional information on this topic.  Please include the following information: The name of the program, what channel and time the program air on.  We will also need to know how the timers are setup.  To find this information, please go to menu, daily schedule, timers, select the timer with the issue, and choose edit.  From this screen we will need to know if the timer is setup to start early and end late, or if it is set to 0 minutes early and late, etc.  We need the length of the program that recorded shows in the DVR screen.  Also, please go to menu, and daily schedule, and list any events that start before and after the event in question, and list whether these events are also set to record early and end late.  Please note if you have deleted the timer and set it back up, and whether not this resolved the issue.  Finally, please let us know if the receiver is connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection.

Thanks,

Kim E.

#56 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

The last program affected was mentioned above and is “Copper” on BBCA, channel 135 Easter Arc. It was recorded on Sunday, September 1, 2013. It is aired on BBCA from 9:00pm to 10:00pm.

As mentioned I padded the recording to start 5 minutes early & end 5 minutes late. And it was the only recording taking place at that time, and it was the only recording happening all day.

The timer is set to record all new episodes & had been doing so all season. This is the first & only problem I’ve had with this particular program. FWIW it recorded properly on Sunday September 8, 2013, and no settings were changed.

As you can see from reading this thread I’ve had this problem for over 2 years. It does not seem to matter what channel or time of day. It’s random.

The DVR is connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection.

#57 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for the info Mike.  I have recorded this information.  Please try to let us know if this happens again in the future...and once you notice this, please immediately tune the receiver to channel 100.  Also, post on here as quickly as you can.  If we can get this information within 24 hours of it occurring, it will be a huge help.

Thanks

Do you work for Dish?

#58 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I recall having this issue when I had a 722K, never could figure out why or when, pretty random events from what I recall. Since I switched to a 922 in January I have not had this issue once. However, the 922 did completely miss a recording a couple of days ago, which has never happen before. It was only the noon news, so no biggie, but I hope it was an isolated incident.

#59 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

I recall having this issue when I had a 722K, never could figure out why or when, pretty random events from what I recall. Since I switched to a 922 in January I have not had this issue once. However, the 922 did completely miss a recording a couple of days ago, which has never happen before. It was only the noon news, so no biggie, but I hope it was an isolated incident.

Did you have the optional OTA module in the 722K?

#60 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

We need to gather some additional information on this topic.  Please include the following information: The name of the program, what channel and time the program air on.  We will also need to know how the timers are setup.  To find this information, please go to menu, daily schedule, timers, select the timer with the issue, and choose edit.  From this screen we will need to know if the timer is setup to start early and end late, or if it is set to 0 minutes early and late, etc.  We need the length of the program that recorded shows in the DVR screen.  Also, please go to menu, and daily schedule, and list any events that start before and after the event in question, and list whether these events are also set to record early and end late.  Please note if you have deleted the timer and set it back up, and whether not this resolved the issue.  Finally, please let us know if the receiver is connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection.

Thanks,

Kim E.

I've been posting all this information for over 2 years. I've posted dates, times, channels, etc.

And I've had 3 more screwed up recordings this week already.

When is Dish going to fix this, or do they plan on giving me a bunch of money back for all the inconvenience & wasted time they have caused me?

#61 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

Could the problem on this thread & the thread titled “Event Completed by User 1 - what does it mean?” be related?

Maybe the AV Recorded time is not there because it has been delayed to infinity. IOW instead of starting a few minutes late it is never going to start.

#62 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

Short version -

Several months ago I managed to establish contact with Dish’s advanced technical support dept. They sent me a USB thumb drive that was set to record my logs when a problem occurred. It took a while & eventually my DVR started a recording late & therefore missed the beginning of a program. I sent the logs to Dish. Eventually they got one of their DVRs to start a recording late. They were to fix the problem in the next software rollout which unfortunately did not happen until this week.

They said the problem occurs on the 722K and mostly with those who have the optional OTA module installed, which is a very small percentage of units. It supposedly is a timer problem between the OTA tuners & the satellite tuners.

I asked what about the problem where playback ends early & they think it is part of the same timer problem.

Software version 806 which just came out will supposedly & hopefully fix both the missed beginning and the playback ending early problems

Edited by Mike109, 06 September 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Short version -

Several months ago I managed to establish contact with Dish’s advanced technical support dept. They sent me a USB thumb drive that was set to record my logs when a problem occurred. It took a while & eventually my DVR started a recording late & therefore missed the beginning of a program. I sent the logs to Dish. Eventually they got one of their DVRs to start a recording late. They were to fix the problem in the next software rollout which unfortunately did not happen until this week.

They said the problem occurs on the 722K and mostly with those who have the optional OTA module installed, which is a very small percentage of units. It supposedly is a timer problem between the OTA tuners & the satellite tuners.

I asked what about the problem where playback ends early & they think it is part of the same timer problem.

Software version 806 which just came out will supposedly & hopefully fix both the missed beginning and the playback ending early problems

Lucky you. And I thought I had contacts and that things were getting done. Guess not. Are they looking at all the boxes? Even after moving to the Hopper, mostly because of the cutoff programming on a 722 and 625, we still have these same problems and more. Seems to be inherent across platforms. Over the past couple of weeks programs that recorded halfway decently since the beginning of the season, on their last or near to last recording got chopped off or completely failed and there is only one way to deal with it, and that is to watch them through DISH via a web browser, not VOD on the boxes or the DISHanywhere app. It looks as though most of them are available to the general public through the DISH website, but not the boxes or apps. BUT you can watch other premium stuff through the app that you can't on the boxes though. After not being able to grasp the illogical scope of this last night, I just gave up. We've got several devices that have the means, Netflix, Amazon, to go back and see all missed episodes. Much easier than dealing with messed up timers.

Thanks for your persistence in getting as far as you did. I'm very curious to see how this works out. Have been waiting for many years.

Edited by FarmerBob, 07 September 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

FarmerBob,

Sorry for the late response but I was out of town.

I do not know if Dish is/was looking at all the other boxes. I only have the 722K & was told by a couple Dish people that the recording starting late problem usually happened with the 722K DVRs using the optional OTA tuner module. That would imply they have received at least some complaints on other DVRs.

From postings I have seen it appears the recording-ending-early problem is more common than the recording-starting-late problem. However in my situation I have experienced about 50 occurrences of recordings starting late (and some not at all) and maybe 5 or so recordings ending early. I’d have to go back & look at my notes to the exact figures but missed beginnings far outnumbered cutoff short recordings.

So from my perspective I concentrated on getting the missed beginning problem fixed. Dish said it was a timer problem & “thought” the recording-ending-early problem was related to the same timer issue.

We'll see how software 806 works out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...