Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing beginning of programs

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

Could the problem on this thread & the thread titled “Event Completed by User 1 - what does it mean?” be related?

Maybe the AV Recorded time is not there because it has been delayed to infinity. IOW instead of starting a few minutes late it is never going to start.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

Short version -

Several months ago I managed to establish contact with Dish’s advanced technical support dept. They sent me a USB thumb drive that was set to record my logs when a problem occurred. It took a while & eventually my DVR started a recording late & therefore missed the beginning of a program. I sent the logs to Dish. Eventually they got one of their DVRs to start a recording late. They were to fix the problem in the next software rollout which unfortunately did not happen until this week.

They said the problem occurs on the 722K and mostly with those who have the optional OTA module installed, which is a very small percentage of units. It supposedly is a timer problem between the OTA tuners & the satellite tuners.

I asked what about the problem where playback ends early & they think it is part of the same timer problem.

Software version 806 which just came out will supposedly & hopefully fix both the missed beginning and the playback ending early problems

Edited by Mike109, 06 September 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Short version -

Several months ago I managed to establish contact with Dish’s advanced technical support dept. They sent me a USB thumb drive that was set to record my logs when a problem occurred. It took a while & eventually my DVR started a recording late & therefore missed the beginning of a program. I sent the logs to Dish. Eventually they got one of their DVRs to start a recording late. They were to fix the problem in the next software rollout which unfortunately did not happen until this week.

They said the problem occurs on the 722K and mostly with those who have the optional OTA module installed, which is a very small percentage of units. It supposedly is a timer problem between the OTA tuners & the satellite tuners.

I asked what about the problem where playback ends early & they think it is part of the same timer problem.

Software version 806 which just came out will supposedly & hopefully fix both the missed beginning and the playback ending early problems

Lucky you. And I thought I had contacts and that things were getting done. Guess not. Are they looking at all the boxes? Even after moving to the Hopper, mostly because of the cutoff programming on a 722 and 625, we still have these same problems and more. Seems to be inherent across platforms. Over the past couple of weeks programs that recorded halfway decently since the beginning of the season, on their last or near to last recording got chopped off or completely failed and there is only one way to deal with it, and that is to watch them through DISH via a web browser, not VOD on the boxes or the DISHanywhere app. It looks as though most of them are available to the general public through the DISH website, but not the boxes or apps. BUT you can watch other premium stuff through the app that you can't on the boxes though. After not being able to grasp the illogical scope of this last night, I just gave up. We've got several devices that have the means, Netflix, Amazon, to go back and see all missed episodes. Much easier than dealing with messed up timers.

Thanks for your persistence in getting as far as you did. I'm very curious to see how this works out. Have been waiting for many years.

Edited by FarmerBob, 07 September 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

FarmerBob,

Sorry for the late response but I was out of town.

I do not know if Dish is/was looking at all the other boxes. I only have the 722K & was told by a couple Dish people that the recording starting late problem usually happened with the 722K DVRs using the optional OTA tuner module. That would imply they have received at least some complaints on other DVRs.

From postings I have seen it appears the recording-ending-early problem is more common than the recording-starting-late problem. However in my situation I have experienced about 50 occurrences of recordings starting late (and some not at all) and maybe 5 or so recordings ending early. I’d have to go back & look at my notes to the exact figures but missed beginnings far outnumbered cutoff short recordings.

So from my perspective I concentrated on getting the missed beginning problem fixed. Dish said it was a timer problem & “thought” the recording-ending-early problem was related to the same timer issue.

We'll see how software 806 works out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...