Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3LNB Dish / 110-119 Signals?????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

So this one took me back and I'm looking for a logical explanation.

A friend in town had their 1st Generation Ka/Ku Dish's LNB go bad several weeks ago. D* sent someone out and they installed a new Slimline Dish.

As I knew they had listened to the Xmas Music Channel last year, I told him to make sure he got a 5LNB dish so he could receive all the birds. Upon installation, he told me he checked the signal strength and had all birds present and accounted for.

So....I am over there late yesterday and happen to glance up and said "Dude, you got hosed....you only have 3lnb dish - not a 5lnb dish." He assures me he can receive all the birds. We go inside and sure enough:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, I go back outside again and look. I even get his ladder out of his garage and there is only 1 LNB (well the 3:1 99/101/103 Ka/Ku LNB) and certainly not a 110 or 119 LNB in sight.

All my experience from the previous 5 years have been with 5 LNB Dishes, and I've never known anyone with a 3LNB Dish, but simple logic has me asking WTF is going on?

Can someone explain where these phantom readings for 110/119 are coming from?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

They're coming from 101, of course. The receiver is set incorrectly to Slimline-5, when it should be set to Slimline-3. An SL3 LNB won't respond to the 22kHz switching tone that normally changes the switch from 101 to 110/119, so the 101 signal gets passed to the meter on the receiver, and the receiver "thinks" it is reading 110/119, even though it's actually reading 101.

The receiver needs to be set to Slimline-3.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Can someone explain where these phantom readings for 110/119 are coming from?

The receiver is thinking it's selecting the 110/119 SATs, but since the SL3 is always outputting the 101, the receiver is "seeing" the 101 as 110/119.
Changing the receiver's dish setup will remove the phantom SAT readings.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Just post 101W screen and you'll see where those signals coming from (btw, 119W tp24 must be not 0 for start ).

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Of course, the real test is to see if you can receive any music channels that are on 119.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Actually, if you see by your own eyes the dish has only one block LNBF (99/101/103) you don't need such real test.

He is just need explanation of those SL numbers for 110/119 screens.

#7 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks to everyone for the explanation. I knew Transponder 32 on 110 (or 12 after D* converts it) seemed lower than normal, but that ANY signal level was there had me wondering WTF was going on.

So much for the D* installer resetting all the IRDs properly after he changed the 5LNB dish out.

spam firewall