Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SL5 to WB616 to SWM16

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Is it possible to take four outputs from a WB616 to feed a SWM16? The WB616 is fed by a SL5.
In my situation, It would be difficult to reverse the 2 switches.
Thanks
Don

Edited by Don O'Brien, 02 April 2011 - 12:25 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

"possible?" sure.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the response. Possible, but not tested??

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Possible and tested, but not preferred.

The preferred method would be to use either a SWM E1 expander or four satellite-rated (5-2250 MHz), single or dual-side power-passing splitters, and split the lines coming from the dish. The key is to make sure that when you split a line, that both lines coming from that splitter go into the same-marked ports on each switch.

Posted Image

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 480 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

I think it would be no problem at all, no matter what the "preferred" method is. I have used a WB616 to feed a SWM8 and it worked (and is still working) just fine. A SWM16 would be no different.

As long as you can work on it yourself, and don't expect them to repair it, I see no reason to live in fear of what DirecTV considers "acceptable".

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

thanks for the clarification

#7 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have the setup you speak of - a 5LNB feeding a WB616 and 4 of the outputs feed a SWiM16. The other 4 outputs on the WB616 feed some older legacy IRDs.

#8 OFFLINE   Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

I love this site. I appreciate everyone's responses.

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

That drawing/picture of utilizing WB68's (rather than WB616's), caught my 'h*ll no!" filter. Years ago (too many now) that's how a ton of MDU installs were done up in my part of the woods, before and during the time the SWM became available.

So many problems.... it worked only when everything was 'perfect' as far as cable runs and such. Swapped EVERYTHING (even homes) out to 616's, and probs went to zero. Unfortunately, the 616's are very hard to find now (and expensive), and I've gone to wideband splitters off the dish feed to feed multiple SWM arrangements, which is the current 'recommended' DirecTV way now.

But that doesn't mean I don't keep my fingers crossed on those installations. But it seem to be working okay with the 'newer' wideband splitters and 'newer' LNB's. But been fine for the last 2-3 years, and I never got around to trying it with some of the older LNB's that were 'known' to have wacky problems.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

The 6x16 switch was discontinued, but one of the reasons why it might have worked better is because it was powered, which really means it contained a polarity locker and powered the LNBs on the dish, instead of relying on the receiver's power. 6x8s are passive, meaning the receivers have to power the switch and the LNBs.

You won't have that issue with either a 6x16 or a SWM switch, as both are powered.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

IF you want to run two WB68's in parallel, the splitters MUST be dual port power passing. Better though would be to use a Sonora phase locker between the LNB and the splitters.

As to the original question, you should have no problem at all feeding an SWM8 or SWM16 from a WB616. As BattleZone noted, it is a powered switch which overcomes many of the problems you might run into using the non-powered WB68's shown in post #4.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...