Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie skew question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Replay13

Replay13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

And thanks for the help. Ok, I'm trying to make some sense out of a satellite aiming web page.
I'm not allowed to post the url till I have 5 posts, but the web page is "Satellite Finder Online"

When I put in my address "Medford, Oregon, 97501" For Directv 101, I get the magnetic az of 133.9, and the elevation of 36.4 both are right for my area. Ok my question is the skew, it is shown as -22.2 the skew setting on my 5lnb dish is about 113 degs for this area.

Ok, I know what it is for my area, now if I go camping in another area or state and use this program, how would I convert the skew to the degree marking on my dish?

Or does anyone have a better web site that shows skew too?

Thanks for your time
James

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

DirecTv does not use skew. Skew is the degrees off of center, your LNB needs to rotated to pick up linear polarized satellites. Directv does not use linear polarization, but instead uses circular (left and right) polarization which is not affected by skew.

The only settings you need to be concerned with are Azimuth, Elevation, and Tilt. Tilt is the "tilt" of the dish on the mount. For 101 only, there is no tilt setting. For multiple satellite dishes, there is. It is used to align the three (or 5) lnbs on the dish arm with the 3 or 5 satellites you are trying to pick up. In the case of the non-HD dish, the dish is aligned on the 110 satellite, and "tilted" until a good signal is received on 101, which will then also align it with 119. For HD dishes, its a much finer alignment. Tilt settings for various locations around the US are available by typing in the locations zip code into your receiver setup screen. Tilt is not that critical of an adjustment, so a nearby cities zip code will suffice. It should be set first, before aligning the AZ and EL. Any out of plumb mast will change the setting as well, so make sure the pole is always totally plumb before starting.

Hope that helps.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

As Davenlr noted, you can easily get the settings from your receiver. The key is to do that before you unhook it at the old location before moving to your new location.

Another great web site to check for dish alignment is www.dishpointer.com There are also apps for iPhone and Android.

#4 OFFLINE   Replay13

Replay13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hello again,

Thanks, I guess I was confused.... I just assumed that skew was tilt. I was just looking for a web site that showed az, el, and tilt. I am using a slimline 5lnb.

I know I can run satellite setup and get all the numbers but then I have to run setup again, ect. It just took longer and then a longer wait to get the program guide back up to date. So I was just looking for a website that showed all 3 numbers to play around with.

Thanks for the url Dishpointer, it shows the az, el, but not the tilt. Thats all I really need anyways, after setting the az, then the el, I can find the tilt rotating the dish with my digisat III hooked up.

Thanks again, now I know the difference between skew and tilt! Duh... lol.
James

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

What type reciever (s) do you have? If you go traveling what reciever are you planing on taking? For the most part, if you travel within about 300 miles and you are taking a 3/5 lnb dish, you only have to change the elv about 1/2 deg and leave the tilt like it is.
If you go more then the 300, then use the sat setup in the menue for the settings. I have a 3lnb on my RV and go as far as 450miles and still only have to change the elv 1/2 deg. AND I gett my locals.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

... So I was just looking for a website that showed all 3 numbers to play around with.

Thanks for the url Dishpointer, it shows the az, el, but not the tilt. Thats all I really need anyways, after setting the az, then the el, I can find the tilt rotating the dish with my digisat III hooked up.

Thanks again, now I know the difference between skew and tilt! Duh... lol.
James

Actually dishpointer.com does show "tilt" when a dish like the SL-5 is selected under the "Multi-LNB setups" category in the second lower drop down box on the website.

Look carefully, its labeled as "Dish Skew" as opposed to "LNB Skew" which is for linearly polarized setups that the SL-5 does not use.

#7 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

oh, wow....

thats being a little bit TOO technical....

Only directv calls it tilt, dish net and all the rest call it skew. Same thing nowadays.
Tilt = skew

All the dish point aid sites will still call it skew, even though dish and direct dont have lnbs that skew, they do call it dish skew, for some reason directv calls it tilt.

Satsig.net even calls it polarization or skew.

Dish network also uses circular polarization and they do call it skew.

#8 OFFLINE   Replay13

Replay13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thanks everyone,

Dish Pointer was the site I have been looking for. I didn't see the second drop down box, that worked like a charm!

When I seen the -22.2 skew number I couldn't make any sense out of it till I got your answer here.

I have a HR23-700. The web site doesn't serve any real practical purpose, but I was just looking for a place to play. Most of my camping is within 150 miles, except in the winter I plan on going south to AZ and like you said I would just plug in the receiver and get the settings to start.

Thanks again,
James

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

...The web site doesn't serve any real practical purpose, but I was just looking for a place to play. Most of my camping is within 150 miles, except in the winter I plan on going south to AZ and like you said I would just plug in the receiver and get the settings to start....

The Dishpointer site allows you to enter the latitude and longitude of the location for more accurate alignment parameters.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Tilt Approx = Skew

West of 101 (Central Texas)

Tilt = 90 Degrees + SKEW

East of Texas

Tilt = 90 Degrees - SKEW

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...