Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

512?

hd problems

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

It's been a while since I've put one in - but the first ones still had the TV2 outputs on the back of the receiver - they just had black caps over them. Never actually tried hooking anything to them to see if they worked though.

Could you try ? Just for a gig. ;)

I want to know as well.

Apparently, 512 is the only receiver we don't have in our building (minus legacy receivers), so there's no way I can try it out.

Just wanted to say that the most recent s/w update now has what would be TV2's outputs will now mirror TV1's. So if you hook up the cabling to the secondary output, it will show the same thing as TV1's outputs

Just thought I'd let you guys know :D

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for update.

Now we have expensive AV splitter ie 512. :)

#23 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

They just replaced our 510 with a 512. It is a BIG improvement. The remote that came with the 512 was IR only. Fortunately I have a few 6.3 IR/UHF remotes lying around as I also needed UHF capability.

#24 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Quick question...I currently have a 508 in our RV with dual legacy LNBs on the Motosat .74 dish. Dish sent a tech to do a courtesy upgrade to a 512 and he said the 512 is NOT compatible with the legacy LNBs. What, if anything out there is actually compatible with the legacy LNBs to replace the 508?
Bob - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & FL LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins W/ 540w/35A solar system -Pulling our '05 GMC Sierra LT, CC, Z-71, w/ 2010 Silver Rzr in back.

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Dish sent a tech to do a courtesy upgrade to a 512 and he said the 512 is NOT compatible with the legacy LNBs.

This doesn't sound right. I was under the impression that all DISH Network receivers could deal with legacy.

The hairball (though not a show-stopper) would be in going to two tuners.

I couldn't find any information about a model .74. Can you offer some details?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

If it legacy dish and need to connect both tuners(what the dual tuner DVR for ?) - use legacy switch ! The tech could have it, if not - garage sale/flea market/eBay/craigslist is your market.

#27 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

The .74 Motosat dish is an internet dish that uses a BOW to double as a TV dish. Because my internet satellite is 117, I have a lipstick LNB nestled against the main internet LNB for 119, then a legacy single LNB on the BOW for the 110 satellite.

Many Dish receivers will NOT work with legacy LNBs and because Dish is getting out of the SD arena and going to straight HD, it is harder to find a compatible receiver. 99.9% of the newer switches will not work either, so bringing 2 cables(110 & 119) in and combining them into a single HD input will also not work. I tried to use a 722k and there was no way to make it work. So, the question remains, what Dish receivers are still available that are an upgrade for the 508 and it's DVR, that will accept 2 legacy LNB inputs, through an SW-21 or similar switch?
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins W/ 540w/35A solar system -Pulling our '05 GMC Sierra LT, CC, Z-71, w/ 2010 Silver Rzr in back.

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

All receivers/DVR does accept legacy LNBF/switches.

#29 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

All receivers/DVR does accept legacy LNBF/switches.

Then explain why 3 different techs spent over 6 hours trying to make a 722k work and after much off site consulting, said there is no way to make it work with legacy LNBs. Also, explain why the last tech walked in saw the RV, asked what type of LNBs I had on the dish then said there is NO way to make a mpeg4 HD receiver system work with the legacy LNBs. If you know of a way and have proven it will work, please enlighten us, so that I can use any receiver I want and Dish can send the info to their techs. If I had not spent hours and hours trying everything possible and using every conceivable switch combination, I would not be asking this question.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

Then explain why 3 different techs spent over 6 hours trying to make a 722k work and after much off site consulting, said there is no way to make it work with legacy LNBs.

Probably better than 80% of the current techs have never seen a legacy setup. It isn't surprising that they can't get their heads around it.

Also, explain why the last tech walked in saw the RV, asked what type of LNBs I had on the dish then said there is NO way to make a mpeg4 HD receiver system work with the legacy LNBs

The SW64 will bring three legacy dual LNBs together into two cables that will feed both tuners of a ViP722K. You would obviously need to add another LNB for 129W.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#31 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

This is a BOW system with a lipstick LNB for 119, an old single dish/Direct LNB for 110 and no way to add a third single old style single LNB for 129. The 2 feed cables are one from each LNB and I have tried an SW-64 along with every other one made for the Dish Network. The only one that has worked and then only with an SD receiver is the SW-21-3, Which is why I say I am looking for an SD or HD replacement, without the Mpeg4 software, that Dish will continue to support. I do have one expensive option and that is to install a Winegard Traveler 1000.XX on the roof, but I would prefer not to spend $1500 for such an option.

I am not trying to be an a__, but I have been down almost every road out there, trying to find a working solution to this. I used to own my own TV sales and repair shop, I was a trained electronics tech in the Military and know when a tech standing in front of me, is doing the soft shoe or knows what he is talking about. I am sure someone out there has actually been down this same road and knows if there is a true fix for this or like me, has run into nothing but a brick wall.

#32 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Are there 2 outputs on each LNB or only one? If only one, then you will never get a dual tuner DVR to work with both tuners, there is no switch I am aware of that can take one line from an legacy LNB and make it run 2 tuners.

However, you should be able to run one of the tuners with those LNBs and a 21SW though. A 512 or 612 should work fine with that AFAIK. You won't be able to record two things at once obviously, but you couldn't do that with your 508 either.

If you're lucky and each LNB has two outputs get 2 SW21's and you should be able to run both tuners.

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:43 PM

If you're lucky and each LNB has two outputs get 2 SW21's and you should be able to run both tuners.

Since The Texan seems to be bent on HD but can't add a 129W LNB, all bets are off. A second dish seems an imperative.

Anybody know what in Sam Hill a "BOW" is?

#34 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Since The Texan seems to be bent on HD but can't add a 129W LNB, all bets are off. A second dish seems an imperative.

Anybody know what in Sam Hill a "BOW" is?

Here is a link to "what a BOW" is, for the lipstick 119 LNB on the A side of the main LNB.

Have to wait to post the URL to the PDF showing the BOW until I have 5 post.

For the 110 LNB, there is an arm about 24" long on the opposite or B side of the main LNB that you attach the old style single direct LNB and position it to receive the signal. They are both single output LNBs. I am not bent on getting HD, just a DVR system that Dish still supports and will work with my current BOW system. At my age, these eyes can't tell the difference between HD and SD....LOL. A single tuner with dual outputs and a DVR, supported by Dish, is all I want.

#35 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

OK, here is the link to a BOW

http://www.motosat.c...nstall_kita.pdf

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

It's old DirectWay two ways setup, used for Internet. Gee, it's still in a business ...

I noticed the PDF created by laziest writer what I know: last two pictures taken from top of the file and does not shows new installed LNBF [lipstick, yeah].

Not sure if those exists, but that 110W, 119W and perhaps 129W 'lipsticks', mean LNBF, should be dual output to use in legacy setup with legacy switches.

Of find DP type (may be it's begin manufacturing ? - what model and mfg typed on a label of you lipsticks, anyway ?) of such LNBFs.

Edited by P Smith, 16 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.
PDF screwdup

#37 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

512 can work with one sat-in, via a 21 switch, from those 2 LNB to the rcvr. Can't change channels while recording, like gtal said, but it should work.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#38 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Does the 512 have 2 outputs, one to run to the front TV and the 2nd to run to the AV distribution box for the rear TV? The 508 serves our needs and I am satisfied with it, but Dish is not. As long as the 512 will work the same as the 508 I will be OK, but the tech said it has an Mpeg4 DVR and will not accept the SW21 input. I know other receivers with the Mpeg4 DVR we have tried, will not accept the SW21 is why I am asking.

#39 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

The 512 is a "single room" receiver in that it will only output one channel at a time, but it does have both a coax and RCA outputs that you could feed to separate TVs, they'd just both always be on the same channel.

Dish is not requiring that all receivers go to MPG4 - that is misinformation. That may happen eventually, but is years down the road. There are currently way too many MPG2 receivers in use for Dish to even think of turning them off.

The current migration is because there are currently two versions of the MPG2 uplinks: QPSK and 8PSK. The older legacy receivers only support QPSK and will become doorstops once those uplinks are gone.

I don't understand why you were unable to get the SW21 to work on at least one tuner with newer receivers though. To my understanding all new receivers are backward compatible. I have to say that I can't honestly verify that though, because every job I come to with a SW21 I immediately rip it out and throw it away because the newer LNBs are just much easier to work with.

#40 OFFLINE   The Texan

The Texan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thank you to all who responded with suggestions and helpful information. I finally decided to go it without a techs help and had Dish just ship me a 512 for me to install myself, if it could be done......As several said, there was no reason for the tech in Boise to lie to me and walk away, as the input to the 512 is exactly the same as the 508. 10 minutes and bingo, I now have a 512 in the RV and working. Thanks again to all who responded.

NOW, my next question.....LOL....Is there any way to split the incoming signal after the SW21-3 to work on the dual input so that I can have the use of both recording channels? Don't need to have the dual output, which I understand is not feasible, but just the use of the dual tuner for the recorder...Thanks.
Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...