Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hope?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

Okay, so do I have any chance of getting satellite service at my apartment? I figured I'd get some expert help here before dragging some poor technician out for an install :grin:

here is my location via Dishpointer assume I got HD, unfortunately my locals come of the 119, so even if I go SD I'll need the 101, 110, and 119. Thanks for any input.

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

For HD you only need 99, 101, and 103. Elevation will be about 49-50 degrees. Go to the location where you would put the dish, and look up at a 45 degree angle between flat on the ground and straight up. If you clear the next building (which it looks like you should) you wont have any issues. You should go between those two trees ok. Ignore 110 and 119. You wont need them for HD. Worst case, you will need a slightly taller than normal pole mount (say 10' off the ground).

\

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Locals in my area come off of the 119, and the tech won't install if he can't get LOS for my locals, so I do need the 119. I'm on the second story of a 2 story building if that matters. I was a little worried about those trees, its good to know that they shouldn't be a problem. There is a previous mast here, no idea if its a dish or directv mount

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

I dont know what rules DirecTv uses, but if you have an HD install, they should not even care about SD locals (unless there are several that are not in HD). You would want a SL3 or SWM3 LNB. In that case, you might have to hire a local contractor to do your install, or do it yourself.

As for the trees, it doesnt look like they will be an issue right now. Cant say 2 or 3 years from now. Depends if they get trimmed. You are only looking at a 4 degree window, thats pretty narrow.

The sun right now, is about 5 degrees above the satellite, so kinda look as the sun passes by those trees, and look a bit below the sun (without looking AT the sun) and see how close it is to those trees. Hard to tell from the picture. Might also run a picture for 99 and one for 103 and see if the lines are between the trees like 101, or point into them. Hard to tell how tall they are, but from the second floor, you should be ok, from looking at the picture right now.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hmm, I'll update with a pic of the 103 and 101 sats, but I know they won't install without LOS to 119 because the w/o will generate a 5 LNB due to my area. Custom installer or a DIY isn't really an option, since my install, receivers, and service are going to be free due to me being a D* CSR (Please no hate :hurah:) and am not really looking to spend out of pocket for essentailly a work bonus. Same token, I don't want to drag a poor tech out for a VIP install for nothing, so I figured I'd get some advice from the extremly informative people on this forum.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

Heck, buy and install the dish, then just schedule yourself for an install and tell them there is already a dish there. For free service, its worth spending $100 for the dish.

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:33 AM

Hey fellow okie... Stillwater here.

Tulsa/OKC HD locals are on the 119 Dave. :( If the OP is a CSR then they are most likely in Tulsa.

If I'm reading that right doesn't it mean that building would have to be at least 41' tall before it becomes an issue? The trees might be in the way though...

Do any of your neighbors on that side have a D* dish?

EDIT: If you could somehow get the install even with no 119 LOS but with 99/101/103 LOS then you could just swap out the 5 LNB for the 3 LNB after the fact then use an AM21 to get the locals.

Edited by matt, 04 April 2011 - 01:53 AM.

Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hey fellow okie... Stillwater here.

Tulsa/OKC HD locals are on the 119 Dave. :( If the OP is a CSR then they are most likely in Tulsa. ...

No HD locals are on 119. Like everyone else, all of Tulsa/OKC's HD locals come from 99 or 103.

... EDIT: If you could somehow get the install even with no 119 LOS but with 99/101/103 LOS then you could just swap out the 5 LNB for the 3 LNB after the fact then use an AM21 to get the locals.

But you would first have to know what DirecTV's install policy is on markets with SD locals on 119. If LOS to 119 is still required even for HD installs, then I imagine that the tech cannot close the WO if 119 is blocked. Nor AIUI can the receivers even activate (without a waiver that is) since they would fail the IV test phase during setup.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

Where? I checked Lyngsat... I must have overlooked them! :blush: My mistake...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

If you could get the 99/101/103 but not the 119 I wonder if you could:
(I believe this is kosher with the TOS, it not mods I apologize and please delete this post)

Buy a SL3 and do a self install at the apartment complex. Sign up for your install and have it installed at a relative/friends house. Leave everything outside that the tech installed so they pass QC and you don't screw the tech, but unplug and pack up all the receivers. Call and just have the service address changed to the apartment complex without setting up movers connection. Move and reconnect the receivers to your self installed dish, change the dish type, and enjoy.

You aren't misrepresenting the receivers location, the service address matches, and you aren't using them in multiple locations at once so it sounds good to me. :)

:shrug:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#11 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

The simple solution is to hire a local private installer. They will be happy to install an SL3 lnb.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

If I'm reading that right doesn't it mean that building would have to be at least 41' tall before it becomes an issue? The trees might be in the way though...

41' higher than the dish, not 41' tall.

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

The other building won't be a problem for any of the sats. So thats a non-issue. However, the tree to the west very well could be. If it is, a non-pen mount could be used, assuming the landlord is ok with it.

As for going the retailer route. That may work. However with the IV thats in place, the receivers will expect to see the 110/119 birds. A waiver will need to be had. Any future receiver swaps & service will have to go through that same process as well. Any DirecTv tech won't (shouldn't) touch that system as it will count against him for not being to spec. So anything that ever needs to be done will be through the retailer at a cost to the OP.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

If the OP is getting an HD installation, why is the requirement to see 119 (SD locals) even needed.? Seems stupid to me. As long as the subscriber knows he won't get the SD locals, so be it.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

If the OP is getting an HD installation, why is the requirement to see 119 (SD locals) even needed.? Seems stupid to me. As long as the subscriber knows he won't get the SD locals, so be it.

While I tend to agree I don't feel I have much room for complaint. The reason being is if I ever added on an SD reciever, then I wouldn't get my locals, or if some of my locals only broadcast in SD, then I won't recieve those. To be quit honest, I have a pair of Tin Foil Rabbit ears that has been my sole source of TV for too long, I wouldn't mind if I couldn't watch my locals period! But I'm down for playing by the rules so Hopefully the trees won't be an issue for my 119.

To Matt, I got some relatives in Stillwater!
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#16 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

What bird are our HD locals on? I searched lyngsat again and can't find them except on the 119. Are you sure they are not MPEG2 HD? I'm lost...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#17 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

What bird are our HD locals on? I searched lyngsat again and can't find them except on the 119. Are you sure they are not MPEG2 HD? I'm lost...

They Come off the 99, not sure which Transponder(s) though....

Edited by SaLance, 04 April 2011 - 01:18 PM.

My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#18 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Not every local in each market is carried in HD. So those would be lost.
If all boxes are not HD (or Mpeg4), then those rooms would not get any locals.

It's quite rare to encounter an install where the customer only has HD gear (Mpeg4 only markets not withstanding).

The policy is in place to help ensure as must consistency and standardization as possible. Deviation from it only causes problems in the long term.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#19 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Not every local in each market is carried in HD. So those would be lost.
If all boxes are not HD (or Mpeg4), then those rooms would not get any locals.

It's quite rare to encounter an install where the customer only has HD gear (Mpeg4 only markets not withstanding).

The policy is in place to help ensure as must consistency and standardization as possible. Deviation from it only causes problems in the long term.

I agree completely, while I understand I may have more insight to the inner workings than most customers, I really wasn't interested in trying to be an exception. I know in slightly tricky LOS situations it's usually the 119 the kills the situation, which is why I posted here before I dragged an installer out :grin:

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

Doubt you would be an exception. Waivers are granted every day. My installer from DirecTv refused the install because of no LOS. I bought the dish myself, and installed it and it works fine, and has for 5 years. Sometimes you have to be creative. I have a 10' dish looking through a 15' space between two oak trees. Literally, the dish points right into the middle of the trees, and only that small space between them lets the signal through. I have also installed two AT9 DirecTv dishes, one in a front yard for 99/101/103, and then ran two coax cables to another AT9 in the back yard for 110/119. Ya gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...