Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hope?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I agree completely, while I understand I may have more insight to the inner workings than most customers, I really wasn't interested in trying to be an exception. I know in slightly tricky LOS situations it's usually the 119 the kills the situation, which is why I posted here before I dragged an installer out :grin:

Definately check about a non-pen on the roof. If the balcony don't work for you, that would be the way to go. It's doable, just depends on that tree. Only a tech will be able to tell for sure once on site.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

Non Pen is definetly a no go, apartment manager and I aren't on best terms, if it can't be installed not a huge deal, planning on moving in 6 -8 months anyhow
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#23 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Huh, sure enough. I went out and played peek-a-boo with my dish. Locals are not on the 119. :blush: Sorry Dave, you da man.

I think I might get 3 LNB and build myself one of those 18x24 HD dishes. :)

Think eventually that D* will let the 110 and 119 slots go or start putting people on the 5 LNB system?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#24 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

To check only the 119 sat, you could use dishpointer and just have it sight in on the 119 sat.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#25 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

Huh, sure enough. I went out and played peek-a-boo with my dish. Locals are not on the 119. :blush: Sorry Dave, you da man.

Think eventually that D* will let the 110 and 119 slots go or start putting people on the 5 LNB system?

Could have just looked here: http://home.comcast....ls/#transponder

Your locals are on 99W tr 21 and 22 :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Non Pen is definetly a no go, apartment manager and I aren't on best terms, if it can't be installed not a huge deal, planning on moving in 6 -8 months anyhow

Got Xfinity? Seriously. They are great here in Little Rock. Dont know what kind of cable system you have there, but I was shocked, after being with DirecTv since inception, how much progress our local cable system has made. And since there are no contracts, it would be usable for your 6-8 month stay, if they are available where you are.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#27 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

Yes, HD locals are on 99, but SD locals are still on tpn 29 119.

Please, everyone stop with the assumption that all you need is 99/101/103. If SD locals are on 119, DirecTv will require line of sight to 119. The workorder will reflect such. If the box doesn't get acceptable levels, it will fail IV. It will be a major hurdle to overcome.

It's not like I do this for a living or anything. :sure:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#28 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Got Xfinity? Seriously. They are great here in Little Rock. Dont know what kind of cable system you have there, but I was shocked, after being with DirecTv since inception, how much progress our local cable system has made. And since there are no contracts, it would be usable for your 6-8 month stay, if they are available where you are.

I appreciate the help, but if I can't get D*, I'll probably stick with my horrid rabbit ears. I'm one of those people Matt has referenced in previous posts who don't really have the expendable income to get Pay TV, but if D* is going to give it to me for free, I'm Game.

Yes, HD locals are on 99, but SD locals are still on tpn 29 119.

Please, everyone stop with the assumption that all you need is 99/101/103. If SD locals are on 119, DirecTv will require line of sight to 119. The workorder will reflect such. If the box doesn't get acceptable levels, it will fail IV. It will be a major hurdle to overcome.

It's not like I do this for a living or anything. :sure:

Exactly, but the general conclusion is the 119 will be difficult or unlikely to get at my location, correct?
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#29 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

I appreciate the help, but if I can't get D*, I'll probably stick with my horrid rabbit ears. I'm one of those people Matt has referenced in previous posts who don't really have the expendable income to get Pay TV, but if D* is going to give it to me for free, I'm Game.

Exactly, but the general conclusion is the 119 will be difficult or unlikely to get at my location, correct?

Hard to tell from the picture. You'll need someone out there with an incinometer to take a look.

Go for it, you've got nothing to lose. While it kinda sucks for the tech, it is part of the job if it don't go in.

#30 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,034 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:55 AM

Could have just looked here: http://home.comcast....ls/#transponder

Your locals are on 99W tr 21 and 22 :)

Yes, HD locals are on 99, but SD locals are still on tpn 29 119. ...

Just to note;

That other source posted may be out of date. According to gct's latest data capture regularly posted on this site, Tulsa, Ok. (Network ID 703) HD locals are actually on 99 tps. 21, 22 and 103 tps. 16, 20.

And SD locals are on 119 tps. 23 and 29.

All of these are spotbeam transponders of course ...

#31 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:05 AM

I think I might get 3 LNB and build myself one of those 18x24 HD dishes. :) ...

Unless you can get a hold of an old style DirecTV Para Todos dish (or "Phase II"), it will have to only be 18x20 as discussed in the major thread posted elsewhere here for the "Experimental Small SlimLine." :)

#32 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

Just to note;

That other source posted may be out of date. According to gct's latest data capture regularly posted on this site, Tulsa, Ok. (Network ID 703) HD locals are actually on 99 tps. 21, 22 and 103 tps. 16, 20.

And SD locals are on 119 tps. 23 and 29.

All of these are spotbeam transponders of course ...

I got that link from the sticky on this site. Why would they use 4 spot beams on 2 satellites, except maybe in New York or LA? Anyway, do they not allow you to subscribe to a non-locals package anymore (in which case, 119 would not be a requirement)? Wonder if you could put a 18" dish up for 119 and plug it into a flex port on a SWM8 with a SL3 pointed at 99/101/103? Would that work?

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

I got that link from the sticky on this site. Why would they use 4 spot beams on 2 satellites, except maybe in New York or LA? Anyway, do they not allow you to subscribe to a non-locals package anymore (in which case, 119 would not be a requirement)? Wonder if you could put a 18" dish up for 119 and plug it into a flex port on a SWM8 with a SL3 pointed at 99/101/103? Would that work?

Nope, the switching signal isn't the same for 119 & 95.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I got that link from the sticky on this site. Why would they use 4 spot beams on 2 satellites, except maybe in New York or LA? ...

Actually, and with the aid of a bottle of Exedrine :) , after hours of studying the spotbeam transponder/antenna routing and configuration scheme used by D10, 11, and 12 filed with FCC, only two spotbeams (one each from 99 and 103) would be needed since these birds have almost all of their physical spotbeam transponders grouped into clusters sharing the same beam.

The main clusters being transponder groupings per beam of;
16, 19, and 20
15, 23, and 24
17 and 18
21 and 22

(Only a few spotbeams have only one physical transponder assigned to it.)

Therefore since Tulsa, Ok.'s 4 tps. fall into two clusters, only two spotbeams are needed.

EDIT: After some thought, unless you were referring to two HD beams and two SD beams equaling 4 covering the market.

Edited by HoTat2, 05 April 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Actually, and with the aid of a bottle of Exedrine :) , after hours of studying the spotbeam transponder/antenna routing and configuration scheme used by D10, 11, and 12 filed with FCC, only two spotbeams (one each from 99 and 103) would be needed since these birds have almost all of their physical spotbeam transponders grouped into clusters sharing the same beam.

The main clusters being transponder groupings per beam of;
16, 19, and 20
15, 23, and 24
17 and 18
21 and 22

(Only a few spotbeams have only one physical transponder assigned to it.)

Therefore since Tulsa, Ok.'s 4 tps. fall into two clusters, only two spotbeams are needed.

EDIT: After some thought, unless you were referring to two HD beams and two SD beams equaling 4 covering the market.

Ahhh, this is why I love this site. :lol: nothing like going to the extremes over simplistic-ish issues :grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...