Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should Ann Curry be removed from Today?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Used to have the Today show on before the CBS This Morning show was revamped.................... Big fan of Charlie Rose and I think they do a decent job presenting the news in this current atmosphere of news needing to be entertainment. Guess that's what happens when you roll your news division into the entertainment division. Just my .02.

Culled this part of your comment b/c my wife did the same thing. She's watched NBC morning for as long as I can remember and has gotten so bummed about the Not News she switched to CBS Morning and has been raving about it for the last 8 weeks. I don't know much about any of the morning shows, but my wife is about as Compulsive as it comes as far as routine goes and for her to change anything like this is a HUGE leap.

I think I last watched morning TV shows when Hugh Downs was still host and maybe a little of Jane Pauley's early days plus a little of the earliest GMA days.

I only know Ms Curry as a news person and think very highly of her in that vein, but I just don't get the whole News show buddy buddy stuff at any hour of the day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

I give a lot of credit to ABC for what they've done with GMA. Pairing George Stephanopolous

I would never give anyone credit for hiring Stephy. Well, maybe for a dunk tank at a carnival. But then I'd go broke and ruin my arm.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#43 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

I would never give anyone credit for hiring Stephy. Well, maybe for a dunk tank at a carnival. But then I'd go broke and ruin my arm.

:D That's why you'are all "SayWhat?" and I'm all Drew2k with it... :cool:

Different strokes for different folks. :)

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

The end is near ...

'Today' host Ann Curry takes hit, counts tomorrows

http://www.mercuryne...ounts-tomorrows

NEW YORK—Tuesday morning, Ann Curry got thumped by a "Today" TV camera.

It happened during a crowd-panning sequence out on Rockefeller Plaza: Curry's face collided (or appeared to) with the camera lens on live TV.

Matt Lauer introduced her as "old flat-nose Ann Curry," in a likely reference to a character in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," as everybody shared a laugh at her expense.

Still, this indignity was small potatoes for the wakeup host, who has faced down months of speculation that she hasn't pulled her weight in the morning-show ratings war.

But if shrinking ratings for "Today" seem to be leading Curry into the sunset, the fault may not lie in her performance as much as in the nature of the war she was drafted to fight.

Curry, who was tapped to sit alongside Lauer when Meredith Vieira left NBC's "Today" last June, is reportedly about to pay the price for the resurgence of ABC's "Good Morning America," which recently snapped the winning ratings streak "Today" had reveled in for more than 16 years.

#45 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Report: Savannah Guthrie Offered Ann Curry's Job on Today
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

In recent interviews, Mr. Lauer has described his relationship with Ms. Curry as a transition. In one, on CNN last month, he said she had “the biggest heart in broadcasting.”

To which phrelin appended:

Ouch!

It occurred to me that that faint praise is like a female trying to set up a guy with one of her ugly friends. When asked if she was attractive, the reply was, "Well, all the girls like her!"
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

It occurred to me that that faint praise is like a female trying to set up a guy with one of her ugly friends. When asked if she was attractive, the reply was, "Well, all the girls like her!"

I know backhanded comments and faint praise is often maligned... but consider that it could be worse.

What about the girls that "all the girls hate" and have nothing but bad things to say when asked?

I'm a guy... but I think I'd rather have someone say "He's nice" as a way of avoiding saying I'm ugly in physical appearance than to have someone say "he's a jerk"... Not that I had a choice on my genetics, but I'd rather be a less attractive nice guy than a handsome jerk.

Do women not feel the same? I mean in general, not when asked by a specific person that you like... just in general, would you rather be a "nice girl" that might be perceived as unattractive or a pretty girl that is perceived as, well, something that rhymes with itch?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#48 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

She's gone, and I'm happy (even though Today has lost me as a viewer)

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,544 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

It certainly took you long enough to get the job done. Your original post was on 04-04-11.:D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#50 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

:lol: Why does it matter if you don't watch? That's like being happy a show's canceled that you don't watch.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#51 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

:lol: Why does it matter if you don't watch? That's like being happy a show's canceled that you don't watch.

I could see someone being happy a show he/she doesn't watch get cancelled. Because that opens the time slot for a program that may be liked.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#52 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I could see someone being happy a show he/she doesn't watch get cancelled. Because that opens the time slot for a program that may be liked.

Ahh good point.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

But the show goes on ... and Ann will be stopping by every once in a while to present a story.

(Unless he's hoping Hoda gets the seat on Today and Regis pairs up with Kathy Lee again.)

#54 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I for one am sick and tired of Ann Curry's inability to read/speak on the Today Show. She can't get a paragraph out without messing up.

I fully admit that I couldn't do that job, but I'm not a TV performer.

Does she bother anybody else but me?

She must, because there been rumors Hoda Kotb is going to replace her.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#55 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I was not an Ann Curry fan, but wow did NBC throw her under the bus or what??? She got only five minutes of air time to recognize her 15 years of service to the Today show, and it was awkward, awkward, awkward on that couch and set!!!!

#56 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yeah... I don't have a horse in the race, as I don't watch any of the morning shows anymore... but it's very rare when success or failure is due to only one person.

If Ann was ill-suited for the show, then someone else dropped the ball in going with her in the first place. A good producer puts the stars of the show in a position to succeed... and part of that means casting people that fit the mold. If Ann was not a good fit from the start, that's as much the people who hired her's fault as it is hers... and you can't blame her for taking a job and hoping she grows into it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#57 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Katie Couric on Ann's departure:

http://www.spreecast...chat-with-katie

Jump to about 48:00 min into the spreecast.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...