Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv International CCTV 9

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Im interested in CCTV 9 but its on the Directv international dish. Will Directv let me get a free Int dish to get CCTV 9 without subscribing to a international package.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

No.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

Im interested in CCTV 9 but its on the Directv international dish. Will Directv let me get a free Int dish to get CCTV 9 without subscribing to a international package.

Ummm...actually, I just did.

I called them up and said I wanted access to MHZ networks and CCTV9. Out came the guy, mounted the second dish on a pole and that was that.

It's the only way on US TV to watch Al Jazeera news.

Now I DO have the protection plan and was asking for access to a channel that I had in my package (MHZ) but could not get due to an equipment limitation. MHZ is a PI channel, so everyone should have access to it as long as they have the second dish.

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

No.

I don't have international programming, but I fought em for it and got an "international" dish for free. Reason was simple: There were several music channels on a satellite that could only be received by a 5-LNB dish, such as the Irish music channel, and the Holiday channel. Since the Irish music channel is only available in Choice Ultra and up, I told them that if I pay for the channel, I should be able to receive the channel. After talking to a supervisor, he agreed. The Dish install was $49, and he charged me that on a credit card, while at the same time giving me a $49 credit on my bill.

I could live with that.

When the guy showed up, he was a SPANISH speaking installer wanting to install a "SPANISH" dish. :D - Because here in SoCal, you need the same dish to receive the Spanish programming, and there are a lot of Latinos here. :D

If you play your cards right, and pay for a certain channel, you can get the Dish upgrade for free.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

Ummm...actually, I just did.

I called them up and said I wanted access to MHZ networks and CCTV9. Out came the guy, mounted the second dish on a pole and that was that.

It's the only way on US TV to watch Al Jazeera news.

Now I DO have the protection plan and was asking for access to a channel that I had in my package (MHZ) but could not get due to an equipment limitation. MHZ is a PI channel, so everyone should have access to it as long as they have the second dish.

I have a Roku and Al Jazeera is on 24/7.

#6 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

I have a Roku and Al Jazeera is on 24/7.

I don't even need to purchase a separate box for that. The DirecTV box is DLNA compatible, and with TVersity (free) or PlayOn.TV (trial but paid) on a PC, you can stream the same things to your DirecTV box without having to change HDMI input. Can play divx/h.264/avi as well, and at the same time still control your DirecTV guide to record stuff. (Or to check if both recordings are done).

I have been enjoying BBC World News through it. Would be better if DirecTV just offers it though, its not an expensive HD channel.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#7 OFFLINE   calgary2800

calgary2800

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

CCVT9 is a cool channel. When I had dishnetwork it was free on any package.
Choice XTra
NHL Center Ice

#8 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

It used to be free on DirecTv (well still is) it used to be on 119 Sat

#9 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

D* is missing a real service to investors by not offering CCTV9 to the broad base of subscribers. Biz China made money for me just with their original interviews with the founder of Baidu.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

What satellite is CCTV-9 on? If you get a dish for it, how do you program your receiver to get it since an SD receiver can only receive 101, 110, and 119 (I think)... :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

I don't have international programming, but I fought em for it and got an "international" dish for free.

You got an LNB swap. Big difference between that an an additional dish, which also comes with switch considerations (International won't work with a SWM LNB, for example).

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...