Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

deal with leased

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomch

tomch

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

I currently have a couple of SD DVR's.
I would like to have a HD DVR. Can I buy a used one from ebay and simply insert my access card?
Does it matter if the unit I get is leased or owned?
I read one guy selling a least unit contacted DT and they said they don't want it back... can I use such a unit by inserting my access card?

Finally what model number should I get?

This is confusing and I appreciate your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Search is your friend. :)

You won't be able to move access cards around.

You can buy one from ebay and order a new card for it for $20. It does matter if it is leased or owned:
-If it is new lease it should activate fine as a leased receiver and you will have a 2 year commitment.
-If it is leased and has been activated before you just wasted your money, it won't be able to be used at all.
-If it is owned (see below) then you can activate it as owned with a new card. You will not have a commitment this way.

You might be able to use that unit, you will need to call and talk to the access card distribution team to get a definite answer. You will have to buy a new card.

You should look for an HR24, then an HR20, then HR22 or HR23, then HR21 last. :)

And as I always say:
Remember, when shopping for a used receiver to always check the receiver ID with the access card distribution team (ACDT). Often, whoever first answers the phone at DIRECTV insists they can help with this, and more often than not, they give inaccurate, incomplete, and just downright wrong information. Make sure you are talking to the access card distribution team when calling. If the first person you talk to won't transfer you there, call back and speak to someone else that will.

The receiver must have a receiver ID
The receiver must have been owned on the last account it was active on
The receiver must disconnected, no longer receiving programming service
The last account the receiver was on must be in good standing and not past due or in collections

Make certain the agent is looking at the last active account. Some agents are new, and even though they should know better, they sometimes mistakenly think if it was ever leased or ever on an account in bad standing ever in its life it is no good. This is completely incorrect thinking. If all four above are good, then you will be able to use it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

You will probably also need a new dish. HD receivers require a different dish than SD, and if your system is and always has been SD, then a new dish is also going to be needed. Factor in that cost (and keep in mind, the HD dish is not the easiest to install/align). As a result, the cheapest route to upgrade to HD is probably to call DirecTV and just order the upgrade through them.

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

When I had an SD only setup and bought an HR2x, they offered to install the dish for $40.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall