Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using old co-ax for new install

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   glasspilot

glasspilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

To All:

I am getting Direct TV installed Thurs. I did have a Dish 625 dual tuner DVR. The Dish 500 antenna had 2 cables off of 2 LNB's. They went into a splitter (combiner?) and just one RG6 went into my house. Just before the DVR it goes into another splitter and 2 short RG6's went into 2 separate input's that went into the box.

Will the installer be able to use the existing cables to install the Direct DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Sure, but he won't need the splitter and the two short pieces.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   glasspilot

glasspilot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Sure, but he won't need the splitter and the two short pieces.

Thanks Spartan!

I guess I was assuming something. My Dish 625 was a dual tuner. So I could be recording one channel and I could watch another.

Is the Direct DVR only one tuner or is it designed differently to only need one co-ax input?

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Spartan!

I guess I was assuming something. My Dish 625 was a dual tuner. So I could be recording one channel and I could watch another.

Is the Direct DVR only one tuner or is it designed differently to only need one co-ax input?

It's dual tuner, but new installs come with what's called SWiM technology, either via the dish itself or a multi-switch. It allows the DVR's to utilize two tuners with just one coax connection.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   glasspilot

glasspilot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Spartan, hopefully that will make for an easy install.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Spartan, hopefully that will make for an easy install.

It will be fine. The tech will replace the splitters with barrel connectors or rerun the lines. DISH uses solid copper coax. DISH to Direct change overs are ez

A thing to watch is the replacement of the dish. If the tech can use the existing 2" mast from DISH (don't remember what a 500 uses) that is better than putting up another Directv supplied mast. You want to minimize the number of holes in your building and make sure any old ones get caulked.

Clear access to the TV areas so he can swap out the boxes and connect your gear.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 06 April 2011 - 09:56 PM.
typo

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Actually, both companies have different standards:

Dish = 1 5/8" OD masts, copper-clad steel RG6 cable.

DirecTV = 2" OD masts, solid-copper RG6 cable.

And even though DirecTV's solid copper cable is superior, Dish will fail any job using "DirecTV" or "PerfectVision"-marked cable, as they require all supplies come from their "approved materials" list (as does DirecTV), and PV cable is specifically excluded, and they train their QC staff to look for it. :mad: :nono2:

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:14 AM

hmm depends where you are i guess, Sioux City had all super dish installs there, all 2" masts and directv dishes slide right on. No idea if that fails QC or not, the super dish braces are kinda hokey though, directs are way better.

I have ran into a bunch of dish net with solid copper though, the ones that were copper clad were missing parts of the conductor on all exterior runs at the cable ends, most of these lasted almost 10 years before they deteriorated.

#9 OFFLINE   glasspilot

glasspilot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:28 AM

hmm depends where you are i guess, Sioux City had all super dish installs there, all 2" masts and directv dishes slide right on. No idea if that fails QC or not

Yah, I'm hoping the D* guy can use my mast from the Dish 500 dish.

Next question: There is a house to my south. When the E* guys installed 2 1/2 years ago they were able to mount the dish on my back deck and just "clip" (my just made up term) the roof and get a signal. They couldn't mount it on my front deck as there's a tree in the way.

I know the D* sat is a different position from the E*; will they have problems getting the antenna aimed?

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

hmm depends where you are i guess, Sioux City had all super dish installs there, all 2" masts and directv dishes slide right on. No idea if that fails QC or not, the super dish braces are kinda hokey though, directs are way better.

I have ran into a bunch of dish net with solid copper though, the ones that were copper clad were missing parts of the conductor on all exterior runs at the cable ends, most of these lasted almost 10 years before they deteriorated.

SuperDishes were a fairly rare exception, and the SuperDish was discontinued over 5 years ago, at which time Dish standardized all of their dishes to the 1 5/8" mast. In most areas, encountering a SuperDish is a rare exception today.

DirecTV standardized all dishes on 2" OD masts in the middle of last year. Prior to that, 18" and Triple-Sat dishes were 1 5/8", International was 1 3/4", and Ka/Ku was 2".

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yah, I'm hoping the D* guy can use my mast from the Dish 500 dish.

The Dish mast isn't sturdy enough (or large enough diameter) to support a Slimline dish. The Slimline is fully 12.5" wider than the Dish 500. I cannot recommend using a sleeve in a high wind area. Additionally, they will need to run a couple of "monopoles" (required for all Slimline installations) adding a few more holes.

I know the D* sat is a different position from the E*; will they have problems getting the antenna aimed?

The DIRECTV satellites (8 satellites occupying 3 slots) are higher in your sky than the DISH satellites that you're aimed at. The new DISH satellites are higher yet.

Edited by harsh, 08 April 2011 - 07:49 AM.
corrected quoting markup

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

SuperDishes were a fairly rare exception, and the SuperDish was discontinued over 5 years ago, at which time Dish standardized all of their dishes to the 1 5/8" mast. In most areas, encountering a SuperDish is a rare exception today.

DirecTV standardized all dishes on 2" OD masts in the middle of last year. Prior to that, 18" and Triple-Sat dishes were 1 5/8", International was 1 3/4", and Ka/Ku was 2".

So there are phase III dishes out there with 2" backs?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

Actually, both companies have different standards:

Dish = 1 5/8" OD masts, copper-clad steel RG6 cable.

DirecTV = 2" OD masts, solid-copper RG6 cable.

And even though DirecTV's solid copper cable is superior, Dish will fail any job using "DirecTV" or "PerfectVision"-marked cable, as they require all supplies come from their "approved materials" list (as does DirecTV), and PV cable is specifically excluded, and they train their QC staff to look for it. :mad: :nono2:

BZ,

I was aware of a little of this. I have found..I am pretty sure..some DISH dishes with 2"masts. I have used the Phase III dishes to match up to to the DISH SD installations...real quick.

What really gets me is, as you correctly state, the QC folks look for approved manufacturers instead of publishing a specification for all suppliers to submit samples etc.

It is as if equal opportunity = discovering which friends and relatives fit the job requirements and then letting only them compete for the position.

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

So there are phase III dishes out there with 2" backs?

Is DIRECTV installing Phase III dishes anymore?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Yes, they are. Many smaller DMAs (Monterey/Santa Cruz and Fresno/Bakersfield, in my area) require 119 for SD locals, and about half of the Latino channels also come from 119, as well as the Chinese "Jade World" package. Customers who aren't getting HD and need 119 get a Phase III on a 2" mast.

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Yes, they are. Many smaller DMAs (Monterey/Santa Cruz and Fresno/Bakersfield, in my area) require 119 for SD locals, and about half of the Latino channels also come from 119, as well as the Chinese "Jade World" package. Customers who aren't getting HD and need 119 get a Phase III on a 2" mast.

Yup,

It has been a while since I saw a Super Dish...didn't know that was the only DISH 2" mast. The Phase III did slide right on the 1 5/8 mast and used the four feeds DISH used to their switch.

Adapting from 2" down to 1 5/8 can be accomplished with an adapter made for the purpose. IF you don't have that adapter I know you can cut a 2" mast into sections with a bat powered reciprocating hack saw and shim the smaller mast up to accept the 2" dish. Then you really gotta make use of monopoles! Even though they are called Slimlines they are not light and the smaller mast needs help.

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   glasspilot

glasspilot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

Yah, I'm hoping the D* guy can use my mast from the Dish 500 dish........................I know the D* sat is a different position from the E*; will they have problems getting the antenna aimed?

Well, the install went well. I only have one SD TV. He was able to use the Dish mast (with a sleeve). It is not a slimline; it's smaller (mini-dish?) with 3 LNB's. They couldn't use just the one cable (like Dish did), this equipment has 2 RG6's from the dish to the DVR. (it wasn't a problem running one more cable.)

The box is a R16-500. Of course with my E* DVR I could be recording one show and watching another at the same time. Last night I was surfing and started recording. Then I tried to go to another channel and got the warning: "Are you sure you want to cancel the recording". This R16 does have 2 tuners, right? Or what am I doing wrong?

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

It should have worked unless the receiver isn't seeing both connections to the dish.

I would recommend that you call DIRECTV and make them aware right away. There are some diagnostics and setup tasks that they can guide you through on the phone to identify and/or solve the problem.

#19 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yes, the R16 has two tuners. First, make sure both of the coax are connected properly to the back of the DVR, then rerun satellite setup. It should automatically recognize both tuners and work properly after that. If not, and if the installer left his number, contact him and explain your problem. If you don't have his number, call DirecTV and work the problem through them.

#20 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yes, the R16 has two tuners. First, make sure both of the coax are connected properly to the back of the DVR, then rerun satellite setup. It should automatically recognize both tuners and work properly after that. If not, and if the installer left his number, contact him and explain your problem. If you don't have his number, call DirecTV and work the problem through them.

Just pointing out that the current policy with Directv service is that IF...for any reason...the customer calls Directv about the installation...the tech gets back charged.

Yes, that means that if some chip inside the box fails .....the person who connected the box gets paid less. If that happens on a service call...which pays ****... the tech gets charged more than he would have been paid for the service work.

Any questions?

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 10 April 2011 - 04:46 PM.
typo....couldn't spell *****, **** or *****

Protected By... spam firewall...And...