Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! D install says screen porch won't work.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

Bought a new place specifically because it had a dish already mounted. I watch more football than anyone...

The current dish, non hd is mounted within my screen porch but the installer said the HD won't work thru the screen...

Is this true? Right now my only hope is the board allows me to install it on the back outside wall which I'm going to petition them to do so..

Can I change the screen material?

HELP! ANOTHER YEAR OF COMCRAP AND I'M GOING TO SHOOT MYSELF....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

If the screen is metal, the installer may be correct.
If it's fiberglass, you may be able to get it to work.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Bought a new place specifically because it had a dish already mounted. I watch more football than anyone...

The current dish, non hd is mounted within my screen porch but the installer said the HD won't work thru the screen...

Is this true? Right now my only hope is the board allows me to install it on the back outside wall which I'm going to petition them to do so..

Can I change the screen material?

HELP! ANOTHER YEAR OF COMCRAP AND I'M GOING TO SHOOT MYSELF....

Screen is bad news. But know that Directv will work through clear glass so just putting a glass panel in that area of the screen will get you running. Tinted or dark glass will not work.

Never did this with HD...if you are going to loose anything it would be the HD but it is worth a try...just not with screen.

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

Screen is bad news. But know that Directv will work through clear glass so just putting a glass panel in that area of the screen will get you running. Tinted or dark glass will not work.

Never did this with HD...if you are going to loose anything it would be the HD but it is worth a try...just not with metal screen.

Joe

Fabric screen has worked fine for others.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

Fabric screen has worked fine for others.

Correct again VOS!

I had forgotten about fabric screen. Probably black plastic will be ok too.

Last one I did like this...little old lady told the CATV folks to stuff it THEN she discovered the management company did not allow dishes on "their" lawns.
So the maintenance man and I carried her wooden picnic table into her living room. I rigged the receivers and tuned the dish...no signal! Then we slid the screen (metal) aside, tuned that baby up and got her the afternoon soaps!

Even though very old...you represent your school well.

Joe

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

What? A picnic table in the living room? How does that mess with the decor?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Correct again VOS!

I had forgotten about fabric screen. Probably black plastic will be ok too.

Last one I did like this...little old lady told the CATV folks to stuff it THEN she discovered the management company did not allow dishes on "their" lawns.
So the maintenance man and I carried her wooden picnic table into her living room. I rigged the receivers and tuned the dish...no signal! Then we slid the screen (metal) aside, tuned that baby up and got her the afternoon soaps!

Even though very old...you represent your school well.

Joe

screen porch jobs and people that want me to go thru windows are both in the same boat. have a nice day and good luck is what i tell them. its not worth the backcharge to even attempt it.

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

Call a D* retailer in your area-Their is no job they can't do.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#9 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Well some in the neighborhood mounted it on top of the framing for the screen in porch but these guys, Mastec said no, too heavy and in winds could rip the whole thing down. When I asked why the other one was like that they said probably a sub contractor did it.

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

You bought a house specifically because the dish was screened in? You looking for any more property in Oklahoma? I can go down to Lowe's and get some screen for this place! :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

What? A picnic table in the living room? How does that mess with the decor?

Decor.....is that the stuff the cat sleeps in? Or is that coordinating the chair backs with the kitchen cabinets? This lady wanted...needed her soaps every afternoon. When the cable company couldn't promise a fix date for a long outage she told them to stuff it.

Fix her decor was a way to watch her shows. The magic marker on the legs of the picnic table allowed for moving it if necessary. Drilling holes on the floor for a regular dish mount was not allowed.

The lady had her priorites. If I had not come up with the picnic table suggestion she was going to get the property management company canned and start over with the new guys.

The TV was her decor.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

screen porch jobs and people that want me to go thru windows are both in the same boat. have a nice day and good luck is what i tell them. its not worth the backcharge to even attempt it.

You gotta ask yourself...why work for idiots and crooks? QC = activation and paying the monthly bill. The fancy decorative work added to installations without clear functionality should be paid for by the customer. And for a company to steal from those that go out and make them money every day....idiots and crooks....in my opinion.

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...