Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hr23 network connected but no link?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

the title might be a little confusing, but basically here's my setup:

- 4 lines from the dish come into a wb68 (eventually this will go away)
- 4 outputs from the wb68 go to a swm8
- comcast to off-air on swm8
- swm1 to hr20
- swm2 to hr23

my home network is motorola docsis 3.0 modem going to wrt54gl (w/ dd-wrt), with one port from router going to a linksys srt224 switch. the rest of my network is wired into that switch...both receivers are wired using ethernet, i do not have deca.

here's where the odd thing comes in...the hr20 is on the network all the time, and the light on the switch for that port always seems to be lit. the hr23, however, while it seems to always be on the network (whole home dvr always works from both locations and on demand works fine), but the link light on my switch only comes on when i access whole home or on demand on the hr23. most of the rest of the time, the link light is off.

is there a difference as to how the hr20 and hr23 access the internet/network?

a few other notes: when i came home from work this afternoon, the link light for the hr20 was on and hr23 was off, just as usual. both boxes were turned off all day. i turned on the hr23 and accessed a recording from the hr20, and the link light for the hr23 came on. i have turned the hr23 off now, but the link light stayed on (i'm sure it will go off at some point).

i haven't tried accessing whole home on the hr20 while the hr23's link light is off, but i haven't ever tried to access it where it didn't work.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Note: this morning, link light was off for the HR23...so I tried to play a video from the HR20. Worked just fine...came downstairs to check the switch again, light is still off. Very strange...any ideas?

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Guess a good question might be "what link light?"
Is this on a router/switch, the network jack on the receiver, or on a DECA?
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

the link light for the port on my switch that the hr23 is plugged into. the light for the hr20 stays lit all the time...as I mentioned in the first post, I do not have deca.

Edited by matty8199, 07 April 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

the link light for the port on my switch that the hr23 is plugged into. the light for the hr20 stays lit all the time...as I mentioned in the first post, I do not have deca.

The HR23 has two ports. The main one and the secondary, I wonder if things change by using the other port.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Which one is the main port? I have it plugged into the top port right now...

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Which one is the main port? I have it plugged into the top port right now...

That should be the main port, but we have seen where it has switched from the top to the bottom port before. Give it a try and see what happens.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall