Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any reason to keep my 4x8 switch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Slump Buster

Slump Buster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

I recently removed a directv receiver from my account so now I only have the need for 4 lines. Is there any reason to keep my non-powered 4x8 splitter in the loop? I was thinking of bypassing the splitter and connecting the 4 lines directly to the grounding block.

Also, if I did this would I have to run the configs on the receivers again? I have the latest dish (installed last month) and 2 HR24's. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

I recently removed a directv receiver from my account so now I only have the need for 4 lines. Is there any reason to keep my non-powered 4x8 splitter in the loop? I was thinking of bypassing the splitter and connecting the 4 lines directly to the grounding block.

Also, if I did this would I have to run the configs on the receivers again? I have the latest dish (installed last month) and 2 HR24's. Thanks!

There's no configuration to change on the HR's if you remove a 4x8 or 6x8 multiswitch. However, if you're really using a 4x8 (or a SAM-6x8 [non-wideband]) I'm surprised that it's working very well at all with your HR24's. Those switches are not designed to carry any Ka (HD) satellite signals :eek2:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

The 6x8 multiswitch is not needed and has almost no resale value.

If you had offed the legacy receiver before they installed the dish, they would have installed a single wire dish and you could have removed three of the cables.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

The 6x8 multiswitch is not needed and has almost no resale value. ...

True;

In fact when I was upgraded to MRV/DECA last year they replaced my WB616 with a SWiM-16 and then removed a cascaded WB68 for a two barrel grounding block on two of the former lines.

They wanted the WB616 back however, but simply left the WB68 lying there right next to the point they removed it from.

#5 OFFLINE   Slump Buster

Slump Buster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone, I thought I'd ask first as the switch is in a hard-to-get place. I did remove it (I believe it is a WB68 6x8) and all is well.

I've been an extremely happy customer for 14 years but it didn't take more than one or two bad experiences with installers for me to realize that I needed to keep their involvement to an absolute minimum.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...