Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vip 722 vs Vip 722K

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kosmok1000

kosmok1000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:32 AM

what is the diference between them?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kosmok1000

kosmok1000

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

what is the diference between them?

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

722 -> 2 sat tuners, one internal ATSC OTA tuner, available "live" for TV1 only (recordings available to both TVs).

722k -> 2 sat tuners, 0 OTA tuners, but has an optional ($) OTA module with 2 ATSC tuners, so each TV could have a live tuner. Also, newer remotes (v20 and v21) that have a learning capability and can, in theory, back up your timer settings to the remote and restore them.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

Ability to record four programs simultaneously (two satellite and two OTA with the optional OTA module) while watching recorded programming.
Ability to backup timers and favorites the remote control.
I believe the chipset is different in the 722k as well.
Probably someone else can come up with more.

Edited by Kent Taylor, 11 April 2011 - 09:25 AM.

<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

The 722k does not have an S-Video output like the 722 does.

#6 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Did the 722K replace the 722 because it was cheaper to manufacture and is that manufacturer the same?

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

Did the 722K replace the 722 because it was cheaper to manufacture and is that manufacturer the same?

Ask E*, not us.

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Did the 722K replace the 722 because it was cheaper to manufacture...

That's probably part of it. DirecTV did the same thing when they removed the OTA tuners from their boxes. I'm sure it saves a few bucks per unit and creates a new revenue stream when people have to buy it as an add-on.

#9 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Ask E*, not us.

The next time I ask a question pretend it's not aimed at you.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

OK.

But you should remember what crowd is here. Not an E* employees.

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

I think we've covered the differences between the two receivers.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I do know my 622 said Made in Mexico and my 722k says Made in India.;)

#13 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

When I was with "D" I was an early adapter with the then not released HR20, which included on board OTA ability. I believe the HR20 was made by Samsung (could be wrong). When they switched to the HR21 the on board OTA was replaced with an external OTA ad on, iust like the 722K. I believe "D" also changed manufactures with the HR21. I don't think any of the newer "D" DVR's (HR22, HR24) have an OTA tuner built in. I am surprised that "E" offered the 722 in it's current configuration in the first place unless it was already too far into development and manufacturing to stop it. It seems that the 722 has gone the way of the HR20. At least "D" had to go all the way to the current HR24 to compete with the 722K.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

When I was with "D" I was an early adapter with the then not released HR20, which included on board OTA ability. I believe the HR20 was made by Samsung (could be wrong). When they switched to the HR21 the on board OTA was replaced with an external OTA ad on, iust like the 722K. I believe "D" also changed manufactures with the HR21. I don't think any of the newer "D" DVR's (HR22, HR24) have an OTA tuner built in. I am surprised that "E" offered the 722 in it's current configuration in the first place unless it was already too far into development and manufacturing to stop it. It seems that the 722 has gone the way of the HR20. At least "D" had to go all the way to the current HR24 to compete with the 722K.

Perhaps it is giving us broad view to the OP question, but real E* reasons still unknown.

[regarding manufacturer's guess - no need do that, just get it here]

#15 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Wow!, I just had a chat with two different people on the Dish Chat Line. Talk about frustrating. I asked a simple question : "Has the 722K replaced the 722 for new equipment purposes". The first guy, Tim, said no and that the 722K is not available. He mentioned that the only difference between the two was that the 722K has more recording space. After I asked him a few more questions he back peddled and I saw a message that the chat was terminated because of technical difficulties. So I tried again and talked to Scott. I asked him the exact same question. His first response was "Cannot replace the 722 with 722K". I tried rephrasing the question and his response was, and this is exact "As of now we are not having availability on replacement of 722K receiver with the 722 receiver". So, I gave up and placed a phone call. Tracy told me that she doesn't know why they told me that but the 722K is what I would get for a new DVR and the 722 could be a replacement for an existing 722 but it would be a refurb. When asked if the 722K was indeed phasing out the 722 she said she wasn't sure.

#16 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

Scott is correct. The 622, 722 and 722k are considered the same model in their (not there) computer system.

#17 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Scott is correct. The 622, 722 and 722k are considered the same model in their (not there) computer system.

Correct, we still get shipments of and install all 3. New customers just happen to get what we have in stock at the time. Seems like every pallet of receivers we get is a different model. Not all are necessarily new - many are refurbished - especially 622s.

We are required to carry at least one 722/722k on our vans at all times though in case we end up with an install that calls for either a Sling Adapter or Logitech Revue as those devices won't work with the 622.

#18 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

This is correct, we only have the option of choosing the families that receivers fall into (622/722/722k fall into HD DuoDVR family).

However, the only way I know of getting a 722k is to have the receiver shipped (we were told at that shipped DIU's will be a 722k). So replacing a 622/722 with a shipped DIU for the same family should result in a 722k being shipped out.

You can always PM one of the DIRT members on the site, they should be able to give you good info.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#19 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Correct, we still get shipments of and install all 3. New customers just happen to get what we have in stock at the time. Seems like every pallet of receivers we get is a different model. Not all are necessarily new - many are refurbished - especially 622s.

We are required to carry at least one 722/722k on our vans at all times though in case we end up with an install that calls for either a Sling Adapter or Logitech Revue as those devices won't work with the 622.

So you are saying that if my neighbor wants to switch over to Dish Network from Directv and wants a HDDVR he could end up with a 622, 722, or 722K and they may not necessarily be new units but could be refurbs? I refer a lot of people and in the last 12 months I've seen nothing but new 722K's. When they asked, or I asked for them, we were told that no new 722's were available or even being produced anymore. Since the 722K's were all that I've seen I assumed this was true.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

So you are saying that if my neighbor wants to switch over to Dish Network from Directv and wants a HDDVR he could end up with a 622, 722, or 722K and they may not necessarily be new units but could be refurbs? I refer a lot of people and in the last 12 months I've seen nothing but new 722K's. When they asked, or I asked for them, we were told that no new 722's were available or even being produced anymore. Since the 722K's were all that I've seen I assumed this was true.

ALL TV providers use refurbished receivers. Yes, if you notice, Dish does not talk about specific model numbers, but rather "HD Duo DVRs" and "HD Solo Receivers" and such. That's because they're only promising you a receiver in that family; they never promise a specific model within that family.

And while retailers generally try to only stock the latest receivers, Dish's in-house staff (just like DirecTV and other providers) install whatever they happen to have on-hand at the time. In my area, in-house techs have been getting mostly 622s lately, and a couple of months ago, they got mostly 722s (non-K model). When the supply of refurbs gets used up, they go back to new receivers (currently 722k) until more refurbs become available.

So, if you order directly with Dish, you get what you get, and other than specific exceptions (like the aforementioned GoogleTV or Sling Adapter installs), the customer does not get a choice of model.

That's a big part of the whole "lease model." You get an expensive receiver (retail for a 722 is $550) for little or no up-front cost, unlike the old days where you had to buy them outright, but you have to send them back when you cancel, and you often won't get a new receiver to begin with. Since you don't own the receiver at any time, Dish is fully fulfilling their obligation to provide you with an "HD Duo DVR".

A couple of notes: your local retailer can usually offer you the same deals as Dish, and has much more control over his inventory. Also, if you want to be sure you get a specific model, you can always buy that model outright and own it.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...