Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vip 722 vs Vip 722K

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,046 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

So you are saying that if my neighbor wants to switch over to Dish Network from Directv and wants a HDDVR he could end up with a 622, 722, or 722K and they may not necessarily be new units but could be refurbs? I refer a lot of people and in the last 12 months I've seen nothing but new 722K's. When they asked, or I asked for them, we were told that no new 722's were available or even being produced anymore. Since the 722K's were all that I've seen I assumed this was true.

You've seen one drop in a pond; don't assume it's same everywhere !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

I personally know someone who received a 622 as a replacement receiver for a worn out 622.

#23 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

Except for obsolete receivers, all receivers are replaced with the same model.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#24 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

In the HD DUO DVR family is the 722K the only receiver currently being manufactured? I believe I read in another thread that the 622 and 722 have ceased production.

#25 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

In the HD DUO DVR family is the 722K the only receiver currently being manufactured? I believe I read in another thread that the 622 and 722 have ceased production.

Correct. As is always the case, except possibly for a brief production overlap, only the latest model is ever in production. But there are millions of 622s and 722s, and these hit the refurb centers all the time as people cancel or upgrade, so they will get sent out. Most of the time, an attempt is made to ship them out as replacements, model matching model, so that, say, if you have a 622 that dies, you'll receive a 622 replacement.

But inventory doesn't always match up perfectly, so when there are extra older receivers, they get sent out for installs & upgrades until they're gone.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#26 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

So you are saying that if my neighbor wants to switch over to Dish Network from Directv and wants a HDDVR he could end up with a 622, 722, or 722K and they may not necessarily be new units but could be refurbs? I refer a lot of people and in the last 12 months I've seen nothing but new 722K's. When they asked, or I asked for them, we were told that no new 722's were available or even being produced anymore. Since the 722K's were all that I've seen I assumed this was true.

He could but if he has done his homework he would request a 722k/wMT2 and if the Dish Network CSR said that is what you will have installed.Now when the installer arrives and tries to install something else(not what he ordered,a common lack of communication) he does not have to sign the contract,until what was promised to be installed is.:)

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Or order a 922
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Or even better, go to a local Dish retailer and tell them what you want. You'll get new product and exactly what you order.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#29 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

Is there any advantage to Dish Network itself if you order from them or someone else? Obviously it would keep more Dish people employed wouldn't it?

#30 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

The only advantage to Dish Network itself if you buy from them is that you cut their cost slightly on the equipment I think.

But who cares? Other than Dish of course. We are responsible to get the best possible deal we can with the equipment we want. Since Dish doesn't allow for the selection of equipment, then don't we owe it to ourselves to get it elsewhere?

BTW, this very same situation exists at DirecTV too. When you start up with them, you will get 'whatever is on the truck', just like with Dish. Personally I don't like that.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#31 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

The advantage of having a true Dish installer is the quality of the installation - I've seen so many jobs installed by retailers that were absolute crap. I'm sure not all are this way - but many are.

And as I said before - all Dish trucks will have at least one 722/722k when they roll in the morning. If someone asks me to put one of those in instead of a 622 I will, as long as I don't need the 722(k) for a Google TV or Sling Adapter install later. I would think most installers would do this as well.

#32 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

:)

He could but if he has done his homework he would request a 722k/wMT2 and if the Dish Network CSR said that is what you will have installed.Now when the installer arrives and tries to install something else(not what he ordered,a common lack of communication) he does not have to sign the contract,until what was promised to be installed is.:)

I ordered a "dish it up" upgrade to a VIP722K/wMT2 for my failing VIP622 on
Monday. Just as you noted, when the installer arrived he had a refurb VIP722 to install. Thanks to the information I have gained from the forum, I convinced him there was a difference and he went back to the office and got
a 722k/wMT2 to install. He said he had worked for Dish for seven years and
I was the first customer who knew (or cared) about the difference.

One difference I have noted is the volume leveling software was on the VIP722K.

#33 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

That's really interesting Ray and I'm glad you posted. When a cr tells you the only difference between the 722 and the 722K is the storage space you have to wonder. When I read here that the installers as well as Dish employees consider the duo DVR as a class unto itself and do not differentiate between the 622, the 722, and the 722K when it comes to what the customer wants or could best appreciate it really puzzles me. In a new install what sub could justify choosing a 622 over a 722 or 722K if the differences were explained to them as it was to me when I first joined the Dish family? Thus I always recommend ordering from an independent and do a little home work on the available HD DVR's. Have you ever went to the Dish web site and tried to get information concerning the differences between these three DVR's? On the flip side, Who in their right mind would switch to Directv (I know I know) and not insist on the HR24?

#34 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

:)

I ordered a "dish it up" upgrade to a VIP722K/wMT2 for my failing VIP622 on
Monday. Just as you noted, when the installer arrived he had a refurb VIP722 to install. Thanks to the information I have gained from the forum, I convinced him there was a difference and he went back to the office and got
a 722k/wMT2 to install. He said he had worked for Dish for seven years and
I was the first customer who knew (or cared) about the difference.

One difference I have noted is the volume leveling software was on the VIP722K.

Congratulations Ray you have realized knowledge is power and a installer's nightmare.;)

Another difference is you can record 4 programs at the same time(2 OTA+2 SAT) while watching a prerecorded program.:D

#35 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

That's really interesting Ray and I'm glad you posted. When a cr tells you the only difference between the 722 and the 722K is the storage space you have to wonder. When I read here that the installers as well as Dish employees consider the duo DVR as a class unto itself and do not differentiate between the 622, the 722, and the 722K when it comes to what the customer wants or could best appreciate it really puzzles me. In a new install what sub could justify choosing a 622 over a 722 or 722K if the differences were explained to them as it was to me when I first joined the Dish family? Thus I always recommend ordering from an independent and do a little home work on the available HD DVR's. Have you ever went to the Dish web site and tried to get information concerning the differences between these three DVR's? On the flip side, Who in their right mind would switch to Directv (I know I know) and not insist on the HR24?

Well I would imagine we know why,their doing it to save money but on the other hand an unhappy customer can kill a business so I guess it's a gamble.They hope they can get away with it and the customer won't know the difference.:rolleyes:

And they will be happy somewhat,at least until they find out different here.:eek2::nono2:

#36 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

In my experience very few customers could tell you what kind of satellite or cable box they have. They sign up for some package of channels and someone drops off the equipment required to make that work. If the box has any recording capability, it's likely that they will refer to it as a "TiVo".

#37 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

In my experience very few customers could tell you what kind of satellite or cable box they have. They sign up for some package of channels and someone drops off the equipment required to make that work. If the box has any recording capability, it's likely that they will refer to it as a "TiVo".

Once upon a time I would agree with you. But now that many have seen friends setups and have actually been referred I see more and more questioning what they get and how to use it to its fullest. I suggest that anybody here that has a friend that is a Dish customer, especially if they have a HD DVR, check and see if they are aware of the full potential of these DVR's. Unless they are as into this stuff as much as you are they probably would greatly benefit from your insight.

#38 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

On the system info screen for model ID will it say 722 if its a 722 and 722K if its a 722K?

#39 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

Yes.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#40 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

I maybe stupid or a little slow with this question, but which is better 722 or 722k?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...