Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vip 722 vs Vip 722K

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

I have heard that the 722K has a different chip set but I've never read any elaboration as to which one may be better. What is the difference between the two hard drives? The 722K and its remote look different (worse in my opinion) 722 = built in OTA tuner. 722K offers $$$ dual ad on OTA tuner but nothing built in. Both take up to a 2GB external hard drive with no activation fee (for less than $100 = one of the best and smartest additions for anyone that does much recording). I have not seen any difference in the PQ between the 722 and 722K. The 722 is no longer being manufactured even though you may still see a few floating around in some warehouses. Not sure why the 722K was even born (maybe a bigger hard drive) as it seems to offer less than the 722 in it's base form.

Edited by inazsully, 14 April 2011 - 03:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Perhaps it is giving us broad view to the OP question, but real E* reasons still unknown.

[regarding manufacturer's guess - no need do that, just get it here]

Where do you find such a suffix? On the DVR itself?

I do not see in System Info or Counters.

Another difference I think I noticed: The 722K has better case ventilation. It has vents on the bottom. This makes a laptop cooler under it more effective.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Where do you find such a suffix? On the DVR itself?

I do not see in System Info or Counters.

Another difference I think I noticed: The 722K has better case ventilation. It has vents on the bottom. This makes a laptop cooler under it more effective.

That would be a question for DTV forum ... Yes, it is on a label/bottom/SC bay/sys info screen ... three digits after a dash ...

#44 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

That would be a question for DTV forum ... Yes, it is on a label/bottom/SC bay/sys info screen ... three digits after a dash ...

Yes but your post was here in the Dish forums. :)
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes but your post was here in the Dish forums. :)

Perhaps I was carelessly respond to inazsully's post ... post#14 is what you need ;)

#46 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Called dish for a DVR upgrade and i found out its a vip 722 I thought it was a 722k its to be delivered monday but Id rather have the 722k u think they would give a 722k replacement and i send back 722.... thanks

#47 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Tell them you want the 722k with the OTA module included. If not, the 722 gives you one OTA tuner included.

#48 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Tell them you want the 722k with the OTA module included. If not, the 722 gives you one OTA tuner included.

When I had a 722 that was giving fits, they came out with a 722K on the truck (about a year ago.) I do/did OTA recording, on a regular basis. They (CSR) told me that it would be ~$50 for OTA module. I finally convinced her to pass me to a supervisor, who agreed that I should not have to pay for the module since I already had it in my previous (defective) receiver.

The 722K is faster than a 722. They have the same size hard drive.

I had multiple 722's and 722K's.

FWIW - the same OTA module works in the 922 as well.

#49 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

I had a 612 (solo of course) and when it started acting up I upgraded my sys to a 722K. CSR told me the difference was the duo factor and HD size. I should have researched, so it was my fault, but I sure miss having OTA in the living room (but not enuf to pay $50 for it LOL)

#50 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

newbie question, I read the whole thread.

722k/wMT2

I think that is the 722K with the OTA module installed.

Is that right? I have read other threads where the installer has given the person one who asked.

Also, how do you know if you get a new 722k or a refurb one? What is the easiest way to tell?

I have an install coming up from DTV for 11 years. This has been some fun reading about Dish.

We had the tivo and used season pass all the time. It appears "timers" are the new word to get used to? Or is Dish Pass, I have not gotten to that yet in my research, is the same thing?

I hope this switch goes well.

#51 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

MT2 is an OTA module that is installed with the 722k and a few other receivers. You'll be able to tell if the receiver is new or refurbished. Most new installations will use a new receiver.

Dish Pass is a timer where the receiver will record all matches for the timer created. For example, if you create a Dish Pass timer for Family Guy, all matches for Family Guy are recorded, which could fill your HD quickly.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

newbie question, I read the whole thread.

722k/wMT2

I think that is the 722K with the OTA module installed.

Is that right? I have read other threads where the installer has given the person one who asked.

Also, how do you know if you get a new 722k or a refurb one? What is the easiest way to tell?

I have an install coming up from DTV for 11 years. This has been some fun reading about Dish.

We had the tivo and used season pass all the time. It appears "timers" are the new word to get used to? Or is Dish Pass, I have not gotten to that yet in my research, is the same thing?

I hope this switch goes well.

#52 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

So Dish Pass timer for Family guy and you can probably choose new episodes only or all showings etc.

Looking forward to it, thanks for all the info.

spam firewall