Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does D* do it this way?

hr24-200

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

As DirecTV customer service can't answer this question, I thought I'd ask you guys.

I recently wanted to add an additional HD DVR to my Whole Home DVR Network. I was actually replacing a standard definition receiver in the spare bedroom with an HD DVR.

Obviously, my preferred choice would have been an HR24 DVR, because they have an onboard DECA adapter, but I would have been fine with an older model DVR, if D* would send me a DECA adapter with it which they are welcome to charge me for.

The CSR told me that it was really 'pot luck' as to what I would get, and that they couldn't add a DECA adapter with the order?

So the D* business model for leasing additional receivers for MRV, is that you'll only know if you need to order a DECA adapter when you open the box and see what's in there?

I went straight to Solid Digital and ordered an HR24-500. It arrived two days later, and it was activated and working perfectly on my Network about ten minutes after I took it out of the box.

There are many things I really like about D*, but this method of selling leased receivers/DVRs seems crazy. Why not say 'if you want the latest model DVR, it will cost you $199, and if you are happy with an older model, it will cost you $99, and you can also order a DECA adapter for $20?

Presumably D* earns nicely off Solid Digital anyway, but why create an environment where you are effectively telling your customer to go to an authorized dealer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Good question.

I can certainly understand the business reasons for treating all DVR's the same and using equipment they have on-hand (don't know what you're going to get), as doing otherwise would mean HR24's would fly out the door and they'd be throwing away older units every day.

However, a model where the units are priced differently also makes sense and would avoid the issue above.

It also would make sense to include deca units with receives that need them.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,924 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

It also would make sense to include deca units with receives that need them.

But how expensive are DECAs? I know they cost us $50, but don't know the price to DirecTV. I don't know if they should be included with boxes, unless the vast majority of users would need it. What's the percentage of HD receiver/DVR users that have a DECA system?

The bizarre aspect is that a DECA couldn't be added to the order, that you have to wait until you see if you get a 24 then order one at that point. Though I don't know if this is normal policy or not.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

But how expensive are DECAs? I know they cost us $50, but don't know the price to DirecTV. I don't know if they should be included with boxes, unless the vast majority of users would need it. What's the percentage of HD receiver/DVR users that have a DECA system?

The bizarre aspect is that a DECA couldn't be added to the order, that you have to wait until you see if you get a 24 then order one at that point. Though I don't know if this is normal policy or not.

Yes, that's actually what I meant. I don't know if they should be added for free, but if a deca's needed and the customer is receiving a unit that needs a deca, it should be added to the order somehow (not necessarily in the box)

#5 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

You can pick up a brand new DirecTV DECA adapter on e-bay for $20 including shipping. All D* needs to do is add it as a product on their website until such a time that their oldest receivers are the HR24s.

I very nearly purchased one off e-bay, making the assumption that it was more likely than not that I'd receive an older model DVR. Then I decided to go to Solid Digital and just purchase an HR24 and be done with it. :)

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Part of the reason is because about 97% of receivers get installed by techs, who will carry what they need with them. Receiver upgrades mailed directly to a customer are really the exception to the rule, and big companies rarely have good systems in place to deal with exceptions.

Remember that all of this ordering and inventory control gets more and more complicated with each new receiver model and each new feature. I'm sure someone looked at the cost of paying programmers to develop and test (the second part can get VERY expensive) changes that would automatically add DECAs where they were needed for the relatively few customers who ordered self-install receiver upgrades and decided that it was cheaper to process those orders manually. Most decisions in large companies look at implementation and ongoing support costs vs. benefit (to the company as well as to the customer), and if the ratio isn't good enough, that task isn't done.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

You can pick up a brand new DirecTV DECA adapter on e-bay for $20 including shipping.

Like so many DirecTV items on eBay, one has to question the seller's source of these items. It's as if "they fell off the back of a truck", when solidsignal charges $49.99 for a DECA:
http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

Like so many DirecTV items on eBay, one has to question the seller's source of these items. It's as if "they fell off the back of a truck", when solidsignal charges $49.99 for a DECA:
http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

Seems like a lot have fallen of trucks.

I bought 3 last week for $13 each.

#9 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Part of the reason is because about 97% of receivers get installed by techs, who will carry what they need with them. Receiver upgrades mailed directly to a customer are really the exception to the rule, and big companies rarely have good systems in place to deal with exceptions.

Remember that all of this ordering and inventory control gets more and more complicated with each new receiver model and each new feature. I'm sure someone looked at the cost of paying programmers to develop and test (the second part can get VERY expensive) changes that would automatically add DECAs where they were needed for the relatively few customers who ordered self-install receiver upgrades and decided that it was cheaper to process those orders manually. Most decisions in large companies look at implementation and ongoing support costs vs. benefit (to the company as well as to the customer), and if the ratio isn't good enough, that task isn't done.

You make a good point. I wish there was an option for the rest of us though. :)

#10 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Amazon are selling them from $16 :)

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Amazon are selling them from $16 :)

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

$21 shipped and it's via third party.

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Remember that guy who was selling like a pallet of DECAs a few months ago? :lol: That must have fallen off the loading dock!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

I'm certainly not advocating people buying stolen merchandise, but the DECA adapter probably costs about $5 to make and is probably made in China. Marked up to $15 or $20 for retail is fine with me....you'd have to be crazy to pay $49 for one though. :)

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm certainly not advocating people buying stolen merchandise, but the DECA adapter probably costs about $5 to make and is probably made in China. Marked up to $15 or $20 for retail is fine with me....you'd have to be crazy to pay $49 for one though. :)

I was only "questioning" their source, and not accusing any seller.
I do know when the SWM8 first came out, before they hit retail, we had a member here offer them for about $5 more than he got them from his supplier. Then they started showing up on eBay, at a lower price. He contacted the seller to see where they got them [maybe to see if his supplier was screwing him]. The response was "my husband brings the leftovers home from work".

Now let's look at solidsignal's price of $50. "Say" they mark them up 100% [seems a bit high], then they buy them for $25. What eBay seller could buy them for less and still may a profit, through "normal channels"?

$5 each? "At best" this is the manufacturing cost for hundreds of thousands, before they leave china.
The similar MoCa adapters start at $80 here and go up from there.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

100 percent markup is not exceptional in the retail world.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

100 percent markup is not exceptional in the retail world.

Which still suggests anyone that could offer them for less and make a profit, has almost "zero cost" acquiring them. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Now to bring this back to the OP's question, yes it would be nice if DirecTV would look at the customer's account and see if DECA was part of their setup, and make sure any replacement receiver came with what is needed, but it's a matter of cost and the number of customers.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Now to bring this back to the OP's question, yes it would be nice if DirecTV would look at the customer's account and see if DECA was part of their setup, and make sure any replacement receiver came with what is needed, but it's a matter of cost and the number of customers.

I hear you, VOS. I just found the CSR's attitude of "well, if you want the guarantee of a DECA adapter, Sir, (as if I was being unreasonable) then you need to purchase an HR24 through an authorized dealer" to be a little strange.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase though, and D* did a fantastic job of getting the box activated very quickly. :)

#19 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

TDK1044

I know for a fact that if D* drop ships you an upgrade, it should come with a DECA unit in the box (EDIT: If you have Whole Home DVR Service on account.), if not, any Technical CSR can drop ship you a DECA unit at no cost because it is supposed to come with one. I would bet a wooden Nickel that the CSR you spoke to was thinking of a Broadband DECA

Edited by SaLance, 11 April 2011 - 11:28 AM.
Misinformation

My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#20 OFFLINE   rbird

rbird

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCenterville, GA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Good question.

I can certainly understand the business reasons for treating all DVR's the same and using equipment they have on-hand (don't know what you're going to get), as doing otherwise would mean HR24's would fly out the door and they'd be throwing away older units every day.

Is it reasonable to assume that most people know to ask for particular models? Perhaps for the first couple of months after release this is a reasonable fear, but the number of "enthusiasts" who know about the different models is likely to be small. This site just happens to be loaded with enough of them that they LOOK plentiful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...