Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does D* do it this way?

hr24-200

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

TDK1044

I know for a fact that if D* drop ships you an upgrade, it should come with a DECA unit in the box (EDIT: If you have Whole Home DVR Service on account.), if not, any Technical CSR can drop ship you a DECA unit at no cost because it is supposed to come with one. I would bet a wooden Nickel that the CSR you spoke to was thinking of a Broadband DECA

Excellent point. I hadn't considered that. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

100 percent markup is not exceptional in the retail world.

Many businesses try to keep their cost of goods sold below 33%. If you add in 15% Rent, 50% cost of goods sold, Somewhere between 15 and 20% labor costs, utilities, insurance and everything else, you can see where profit has to be squeezed from... the things that you can control like Cost of goods sold and labor -- the two easiest things to manage.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#23 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

TDK1044

I know for a fact that if D* drop ships you an upgrade, it should come with a DECA unit in the box (EDIT: If you have Whole Home DVR Service on account.), if not, any Technical CSR can drop ship you a DECA unit at no cost because it is supposed to come with one. I would bet a wooden Nickel that the CSR you spoke to was thinking of a Broadband DECA

I have WHDVR on my account, but it's Ethernet... I would never need a DECA on a replacement unit, nor would I expect them to give me one that's just going to sit around here.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#24 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have WHDVR on my account, but it's Ethernet... I would never need a DECA on a replacement unit, nor would I expect them to give me one that's just going to sit around here.

Well, as long as you have whole home, the system WILL generate a DECA unit with a replacement (Except a 24) and if you did not recieve one you can call and a CSR will ship you one. Just letting you know, CSR's have no control over what it ships you, the comoputer sees whole home and a HR23 replacement? You get a DECA
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#25 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

As DirecTV customer service can't answer this question, I thought I'd ask you guys.

I recently wanted to add an additional HD DVR to my Whole Home DVR Network. I was actually replacing a standard definition receiver in the spare bedroom with an HD DVR.

Obviously, my preferred choice would have been an HR24 DVR, because they have an onboard DECA adapter, but I would have been fine with an older model DVR, if D* would send me a DECA adapter with it which they are welcome to charge me for.

The CSR told me that it was really 'pot luck' as to what I would get, and that they couldn't add a DECA adapter with the order?

So the D* business model for leasing additional receivers for MRV, is that you'll only know if you need to order a DECA adapter when you open the box and see what's in there?

I went straight to Solid Digital and ordered an HR24-500. It arrived two days later, and it was activated and working perfectly on my Network about ten minutes after I took it out of the box.

There are many things I really like about D*, but this method of selling leased receivers/DVRs seems crazy. Why not say 'if you want the latest model DVR, it will cost you $199, and if you are happy with an older model, it will cost you $99, and you can also order a DECA adapter for $20?

Presumably D* earns nicely off Solid Digital anyway, but why create an environment where you are effectively telling your customer to go to an authorized dealer?

The DECAs are available for free. As long as you have whole home active on your account we can order replacements or new ones if you have a box without one.

Note: my comments and opinions are mine and not that of DirecTV

#26 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

The DECAs are available for free. As long as you have whole home active on your account we can order replacements or new ones if you have a box without one.

Note: my comments and opinions are mine and not that of DirecTV

I've received a replacement DECA for a bad one. The line item on my online account recent orders page says one every 6 months, but YMMV.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#27 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Well, as long as you have whole home, the system WILL generate a DECA unit with a replacement (Except a 24) and if you did not recieve one you can call and a CSR will ship you one. Just letting you know, CSR's have no control over what it ships you, the comoputer sees whole home and a HR23 replacement? You get a DECA

oops missed your comments SaLance.

#28 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

oops missed your comments SaLance.

:lol: It's cool RRDirectSR, pretty sure we work at the same place
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#29 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

Definitely going to have to call a FALSE on that. I've gone on at least 3 sc's in the past 2 months where D ships out H21s/H23s to replace an SD box cuz the cust decided they want MRV in this room now. No DECA was sent, even after the guy told me he spent time on the phone "troubleshooting".

#30 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

**FYI**

Tech reps for DTV can order DECA units for free. Also, we have just been released an update for our ordering system allowing us to order a slew of other items like HDMI cables, Composite, Component, Telephone, Power Cables, RF Modulators, Cat5, A SWiM Power Supply, and 2/3 Prong power cables.

Of course HDMI has a cost involved ($7.99 for a 6' cable) and you can order a max of two. All the rest are free but the limit of two are still there.

#31 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Definitely going to have to call a FALSE on that. I've gone on at least 3 sc's in the past 2 months where D ships out H21s/H23s to replace an SD box cuz the cust decided they want MRV in this room now. No DECA was sent, even after the guy told me he spent time on the phone "troubleshooting".

You are correct. It doesn't always ship out a DECA even though they should. I've had customers call me who ordered HD replacements for SD irds so they can have MRV in that room and they were shipped BBC's. The warehouse isn't flawless, that's for sure.

#32 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

**FYI**

Tech reps for DTV can order DECA units for free. Also, we have just been released an update for our ordering system allowing us to order a slew of other items like HDMI cables, Composite, Component, Telephone, Power Cables, RF Modulators, Cat5, A SWiM Power Supply, and 2/3 Prong power cables.

Of course HDMI has a cost involved ($7.99 for a 6' cable) and you can order a max of two. All the rest are free but the limit of two are still there.

How do you get a SWM PI send out? I've got a bum one, I just assumed it required a tech visit...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#33 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

How do you get a SWM PI send out? I've got a bum one, I just assumed it required a tech visit...

Get a rep on the phone that isn't an idiot and tell them your PI isn't powering on no matter where it plugs into the house and you need a new one. Free PI :D I'd order it for you :lol:

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Get a rep on the phone that isn't an idiot...

Is there a special number for that? :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

Is there a special number for that? :lol:

No but a buddy of mine who works here with me thinks we should have the automated system work something like this; "Thank you for calling Directv, please tell us what you're calling us about today" Then depending on how moronic the answer is will depend on whether you get the reps who are a little slow, or the techs who know what they're talking about. xD I apologize about the dumb people out there who works for us.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

No but a buddy of mine who works here with me thinks we should have the automated system work something like this; "Thank you for calling Directv, please tell us what you're calling us about today" Then depending on how moronic the answer is will depend on whether you get the reps who are a little slow, or the techs who know what they're talking about. xD I apologize about the dumb people out there who works for us.

You'd better hire more doorstops if you get that system working. ;)
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24-200

spam firewall