Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whale Wars Returning?

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

A stunt pulled by the Japanese. As was pointed out, it would have been an act of murder had anybody been below deck. The ship steered straight for the becalmed Ady Gil.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

You must have missed the part where the guy was ordered to let it sink...
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#23 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

So you're maintaining that the PR "stunt" was letting it sink? And what other option did they have? Tow it 2000 miles back to port?

The Japanese whaler rammed a vessel that had stopped due to their fuel state. The Ady Gil was clearly not making any headway and by international law, the Japanese vessel was required to alter course so as to not hit the Ady Gil. Of course the Sea Shepherds have also ignored international laws when they come up along side the Japanese ships which at times has resulted in the two ships bouncing off each other.

Edited by trh, 12 April 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

They had to let the Ady sink, it had taken on too much water to tow and was a nav hazard to boot.

Either you believe the Japanese are violating international maritime agreements or you don't. I do, and further feel that even if they technically weren't, I'd be all for the Sea Shepherds protecting these incredible fellow sentient beings with their lives anyway. Sometimes it just comes down to the old-fashioned values of right, and wrong. Shame on the Japanese for this murderous scam for profits. "Research"....right. We should have withheld all tsunami help until they agreed to stop all whaling. Their society supports dolphin and whale slaughter. Time to make them "lose face" in the international community over that brutality and inhumanity.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

You clearly didn't watch the show. There was no order to let it sink. There was a decision made to let it sink. They decided to let it sink because after towing it for 24 hours behind another boat it was going under anyways.

It was not a publicity stunt and people were almost killed, by the Japanese Whalers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Isn't it a maritime law that you are obligated to render assistance, whether you caused the incident or not? I'm not sure the Japanese crew even offered.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Of course it is. The Japanese scoff at all maritime laws and simply refuse to admit anything, and totally lie about all of the circumstances in their encounters with the Sea Shepherds. We all know that via direct knowledge from watching the show.

#28 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

Of course it is. The Japanese scoff at all maritime laws and simply refuse to admit anything, and totally lie about all of the circumstances in their encounters with the Sea Shepherds. We all know that via direct knowledge from watching the show.

I've watched all seasons so far, but I didn't archive any of them, so I couldn't remember if Pete (Bethume) and the Ady got an offer to assist from the Captain of the Shonan Maru 2.

It doesn't really matter. We all know what eventually happened to the Ady Gil. :nono2:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

I've watched all seasons so far, but I didn't archive any of them, so I couldn't remember if Pete (Bethume) and the Ady got an offer to assist from the Captain of the Shonan Maru 2.

It doesn't really matter. We all know what eventually happened to the Ady Gil. :nono2:

If I remember right the Japanese did reluctantly offer help but not until after all the other whaling vessels arrived on scene.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Yes, the Japanese did offer assistance after that ran into the Ady Gil and then hosed down the crew that were all sitting on the decks.

Lets hope the Sea Shepherds learned a lesson from this incident and refuel their new boat whenever they get a chance. Letting a vessel run out of fuel in that area of the world is asking for trouble.

#31 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

If I remember right the Japanese did reluctantly offer help but not until after all the other whaling vessels arrived on scene.

Thanks, Runner. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yes, the Japanese did offer assistance after that ran into the Ady Gil and then hosed down the crew that were all sitting on the decks.

Lets hope the Sea Shepherds learned a lesson from this incident and refuel their new boat whenever they get a chance. Letting a vessel run out of fuel in that area of the world is asking for trouble.

If the "war" is indeed over, fuel won't be a problem going forward. :hurah:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Japanese whaling operations are a separate issue. I have a problem with individuals and groups who take part in eco-terrorism methods without concern for injury or loss of life. You cannot condemn one, while condoning the other.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

Japanese whaling operations are a separate issue. I have a problem with individuals and groups who take part in eco-terrorism methods without concern for injury or loss of life. You cannot condemn one, while condoning the other.

Hey, the eco-terrorist are only doing it for “tissue samples”. :lol:

Posted Image

Long live Paul Watson!

#35 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

Right you are!

The operative word here is awareness. Is there another TV show that covers one of the "others"?

Before you dismiss the Japanese whaling operations as a "separate issue", maybe you should watch some of the slaughtering that Whale Wars so helplessly depicts. That's awareness!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#36 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

For the way they treat whales and dolphins, John Lennon might say the Nipponese are suffering from Instant Karma right about now.

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

For the way they treat whales and dolphins, John Lennon might say the Nipponese are suffering from Instant Karma right about now.

Be careful, you might lose your Aflac duck voiceover job.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

I've read a few things here and there that hint to the fact that whaling is done for good because of the earthquake. The Nisshin Maru was re-purposed as a support/supply ship upon its return to port on 3/21. This is apparently for the foreseeable future.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

Whales 1, Heartless Killers 0. Works for me!

Edited by Maruuk, 17 April 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

I've read a few things here and there that hint to the fact that whaling is done for good because of the earthquake. The Nisshin Maru was re-purposed as a support/supply ship upon its return to port on 3/21. This is apparently for the foreseeable future.

The Sea Shepherds also thought there wouldn't be another season. But last month the Japanese ministry overseeing whaling "research" asked that a Japanese Coast Guard cutter be sent with their fleet next season to protect their "research." There are some legal issues (war ships are not allowed in the treaty area) and funding restraints to this request, so the Coast Guard ship probably won't be sent.

But earlier this week at the International Whaling Commission's annual meeting, the Japanese made an official statement that the Japanese whaling fleet intends to return to the Southern Ocean this December.

Sea Shepherds have said they will be there with at least three ships (looking for a fourth) and there will be a fifth season to Whale Wars.

spam firewall