Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

>>> DirecTV does NOT promise any specific model of receiver! <<<

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   malaern

malaern

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Unfortunately, this policy of "recycling" hasn't worked too well for me. My HR20 hard drive completely failed (after several years of good service). The unit could no longer boot up, just gave a blue screen. It happened rather quickly, and there was no doubt that it needed replacing. No biggie.

The CSR appropriately arranged for replacement (free with returned failed unit, $250 (!) if the faulty unit was not returned), which was another HR20, manufactured at the same place, one week later than the unit it was replacing. The case of the replacement was more beat up than the one I had had. Again, no biggie, but it suggested that it had already seen a lot of service before.

I had to RBR the "new" unit the first day I got it, and have had to several times since (whereas my 2nd, orig. HR20 is still purring along). I'll get a black screen on HD channels, and the unit completely locks up. I can't duplicate it at will, and the RBR corrects it, but one time this happened during a recording and it was ruined. I've not contacted a CSR yet, as I anticipate that the intermittent behavior would make replacement problematic, and I'm not using it very much lately anyway.

So, my real point is this: I don't like refurbs, never have. It's luck of the draw whether you get something that was easily fixed, or something that the techs couldn't duplicate, so it goes back out the door with issues, as I suspect was the case with mine.

Their policy makes good business sense--but it's not always best for the customer.
DirecTV subscriber since Jan. 1996
Finally got TCM HD summer 2012!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

I had to RBR the "new" unit the first day I got it, and have had to several times since (whereas my 2nd, orig. HR20 is still purring along). I'll get a black screen on HD channels, and the unit completely locks up. I can't duplicate it at will, and the RBR corrects it, but one time this happened during a recording and it was ruined. I've not contacted a CSR yet, as I anticipate that the intermittent behavior would make replacement problematic, and I'm not using it very much lately anyway.

It has been suggested to just tell a CSR that it won't come on at all, feign going through the steps and say "nope, didn't work" until you get them to send a replacement. They apparently don't actually penalize you if they get it back and they can't reproduce the issue but I haven't tried this myself.

#23 OFFLINE   cawgijoe

cawgijoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Unfortunately, this policy of "recycling" hasn't worked too well for me. My HR20 hard drive completely failed (after several years of good service). The unit could no longer boot up, just gave a blue screen. It happened rather quickly, and there was no doubt that it needed replacing. No biggie.

The CSR appropriately arranged for replacement (free with returned failed unit, $250 (!) if the faulty unit was not returned), which was another HR20, manufactured at the same place, one week later than the unit it was replacing. The case of the replacement was more beat up than the one I had had. Again, no biggie, but it suggested that it had already seen a lot of service before.

So, my real point is this: I don't like refurbs, never have. It's luck of the draw whether you get something that was easily fixed, or something that the techs couldn't duplicate, so it goes back out the door with issues, as I suspect was the case with mine.

Their policy makes good business sense--but it's not always best for the customer.

I doubt that the intermittent behavior would cause DTV to not send out a replacement.

There is nothing wrong with a refurb unit as long as it has been tested and works as advertised. It's up to Directv to provide a fully working box with this business model.

#24 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

And, even tho it wasn't brief, it was readable. Something we rarely see. I have this picture in my mind of BattleZone beating his head on his desk in frustration the next time we see a thread about another member that didn't get the 24 he was promised.....:lol:

Rich

Posted Image

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#25 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

Posted Image

That's me when someone messages me through ebay and tells me that my owned receiver is leased because the can't follow my thorough explanation of how to check a RID properly...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

I don't understand why this isn't a problem between Solid State and the OP.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm not the OP but personally I like Solid State. I'd hate to have to go down to Sears and use the vacuum tube checker every little bit to keep my TV working! :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#28 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

I assume you mean Solid Signal. This would not be an issue with them because they are not the ones with a one year warranty. That is a manufacturers warranty, so DirecTV is the one who should be dealing with this.

You wouldn't take a Sony TV back to Best Buy if it quits working 9 months after you bought it and expect them to fix it because Sony has a 1 year warranty would you? No you will have to deal with Sony to get the TV fixed under warranty.

The OP will have to deal with DirecTV to get this replaced if he wants it done for free. He will have to hope that the HR24 is replaced with another HR24 since that is what DirecTV is supposedly trying to do for those models. He might have a little bit better chance if he gets them to schedule a tech visit and then when the tech calls ask him to make sure to bring an HR24 as a replacement. My guess is the tech will do it if they have them avaiable just to cut down on the extra hassle of messing with a DECA adapter if he is using MRV.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#29 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Because they are just a retailer, whereas DirecTV is both the manufacturer and service center. Two different jobs.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'm not the OP but personally I like Solid State. I'd hate to have to go down to Sears and use the vacuum tube checker every little bit to keep my TV working! :)

HaH! Freudian slop, I guess~:D I was just posting about anachronisms.....
back to the FM multiplexer.......

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Because they are just a retailer, whereas DirecTV is both the manufacturer and service center. Two different jobs.

O, yokay, I was reacting more to someone's statement that Solid Signal was the seller and there was a 1 year warranty— not paying attention as to who should be making good on it.

Side note- pretty sure DirecTV isn't the manufacturer, though.

#32 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I doubt that the intermittent behavior would cause DTV to not send out a replacement.

Incorrect, at least in my experience. If an issue is correctable by reboot, the CSR will not send a replacement - at least that is what I've been told on a couple of occasions by CSRs.

I've had an issue for a couple of years now with my HR20-700, when I get a heavy rain that causes rain fade, tuner one will not come back online until the system is rebooted. I've been told twice by CSRs, when attempting to get it replaced, that as long as a reboot fixes the problem, they will not send a replacement unit, period.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

pretty sure DirecTV isn't the manufacturer, though.

DirecTV don't physically build it but their name is on the front panel. That makes them the manufacturer.

Thirty years ago, I heard one manufacturer say it the best. "The world is a parts bin." It doesn't matter any more where the parts or even whole pieces come from. Your General Electric microwave oven could be made in China by an independently owned factory. It's still a General Electric, though, and if you have problems, it's GE that's ultimately responsible, not some factory in Shanghai.

Edited by Carl Spock, 14 April 2011 - 11:12 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#34 OFFLINE   futureformercsr

futureformercsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Incorrect, at least in my experience. If an issue is correctable by reboot, the CSR will not send a replacement - at least that is what I've been told on a couple of occasions by CSRs.

I've had an issue for a couple of years now with my HR20-700, when I get a heavy rain that causes rain fade, tuner one will not come back online until the system is rebooted. I've been told twice by CSRs, when attempting to get it replaced, that as long as a reboot fixes the problem, they will not send a replacement unit, period.

The reason that will not get replaced is the problem is triggered by a signal issue, all signal issues are supposed to result in service calls not replacements. The system that locks up, if it cannot be controlled by the front panel anyway, is a firmware/hardware issue and is cause for a replacement. At least that's how they train us to handle it anyway :) .
The views expressed by me are solely my own and not those of DirecTV.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

That's when you use the "it doesn't come on" method. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

The reason that will not get replaced is the problem is triggered by a signal issue, all signal issues are supposed to result in service calls not replacements. The system that locks up, if it cannot be controlled by the front panel anyway, is a firmware/hardware issue and is cause for a replacement. At least that's how they train us to handle it anyway :) .

That explains it. Although my problem is triggered by a signal issue, the actual problem is the HR20 itself and IMO a service call is a waste. There was a couple of long threads on the issue a long time ago. At some point I will swap it out.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#37 OFFLINE   futureformercsr

futureformercsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

I like sigma's response, we have absolutely no way of knowing whether you're actually doing the troubleshooting or not, but as has been mentioned the company line is to attempt to replace with same model number. So as the title of the thread indicates, no guarantee of model you will receive.
The views expressed by me are solely my own and not those of DirecTV.

#38 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

That's when you use the "it doesn't come on" method. ;)

Just between us, that's probably what I'll do at some point.

#39 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

That explains it. Although my problem is triggered by a signal issue, the actual problem is the HR20 itself and IMO a service call is a waste. There was a couple of long threads on the issue a long time ago. At some point I will swap it out.

I had a similar problem with my H20-600s. One quit talking to the LNB altogether one day, and the other had lots of glitches in the picture the first day I got it. They sent out a tech. because the one receiver wasn't getting anything, which was technically a signal issue.

Both boxes happened to be replaced with H24s. The LNB was fine, and the dish was perfectly pointed.

#40 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Great, Great write up! Even I was unsure of some of these things.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...