Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

>>> DirecTV does NOT promise any specific model of receiver! <<<

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

I don't understand why this isn't a problem between Solid State and the OP.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm not the OP but personally I like Solid State. I'd hate to have to go down to Sears and use the vacuum tube checker every little bit to keep my TV working! :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#28 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

I assume you mean Solid Signal. This would not be an issue with them because they are not the ones with a one year warranty. That is a manufacturers warranty, so DirecTV is the one who should be dealing with this.

You wouldn't take a Sony TV back to Best Buy if it quits working 9 months after you bought it and expect them to fix it because Sony has a 1 year warranty would you? No you will have to deal with Sony to get the TV fixed under warranty.

The OP will have to deal with DirecTV to get this replaced if he wants it done for free. He will have to hope that the HR24 is replaced with another HR24 since that is what DirecTV is supposedly trying to do for those models. He might have a little bit better chance if he gets them to schedule a tech visit and then when the tech calls ask him to make sure to bring an HR24 as a replacement. My guess is the tech will do it if they have them avaiable just to cut down on the extra hassle of messing with a DECA adapter if he is using MRV.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#29 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Because they are just a retailer, whereas DirecTV is both the manufacturer and service center. Two different jobs.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'm not the OP but personally I like Solid State. I'd hate to have to go down to Sears and use the vacuum tube checker every little bit to keep my TV working! :)

HaH! Freudian slop, I guess~:D I was just posting about anachronisms.....
back to the FM multiplexer.......

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Because they are just a retailer, whereas DirecTV is both the manufacturer and service center. Two different jobs.

O, yokay, I was reacting more to someone's statement that Solid Signal was the seller and there was a 1 year warranty— not paying attention as to who should be making good on it.

Side note- pretty sure DirecTV isn't the manufacturer, though.

#32 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I doubt that the intermittent behavior would cause DTV to not send out a replacement.

Incorrect, at least in my experience. If an issue is correctable by reboot, the CSR will not send a replacement - at least that is what I've been told on a couple of occasions by CSRs.

I've had an issue for a couple of years now with my HR20-700, when I get a heavy rain that causes rain fade, tuner one will not come back online until the system is rebooted. I've been told twice by CSRs, when attempting to get it replaced, that as long as a reboot fixes the problem, they will not send a replacement unit, period.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

pretty sure DirecTV isn't the manufacturer, though.

DirecTV don't physically build it but their name is on the front panel. That makes them the manufacturer.

Thirty years ago, I heard one manufacturer say it the best. "The world is a parts bin." It doesn't matter any more where the parts or even whole pieces come from. Your General Electric microwave oven could be made in China by an independently owned factory. It's still a General Electric, though, and if you have problems, it's GE that's ultimately responsible, not some factory in Shanghai.

Edited by Carl Spock, 14 April 2011 - 11:12 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#34 OFFLINE   futureformercsr

futureformercsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Incorrect, at least in my experience. If an issue is correctable by reboot, the CSR will not send a replacement - at least that is what I've been told on a couple of occasions by CSRs.

I've had an issue for a couple of years now with my HR20-700, when I get a heavy rain that causes rain fade, tuner one will not come back online until the system is rebooted. I've been told twice by CSRs, when attempting to get it replaced, that as long as a reboot fixes the problem, they will not send a replacement unit, period.

The reason that will not get replaced is the problem is triggered by a signal issue, all signal issues are supposed to result in service calls not replacements. The system that locks up, if it cannot be controlled by the front panel anyway, is a firmware/hardware issue and is cause for a replacement. At least that's how they train us to handle it anyway :) .
The views expressed by me are solely my own and not those of DirecTV.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,405 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

That's when you use the "it doesn't come on" method. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

The reason that will not get replaced is the problem is triggered by a signal issue, all signal issues are supposed to result in service calls not replacements. The system that locks up, if it cannot be controlled by the front panel anyway, is a firmware/hardware issue and is cause for a replacement. At least that's how they train us to handle it anyway :) .

That explains it. Although my problem is triggered by a signal issue, the actual problem is the HR20 itself and IMO a service call is a waste. There was a couple of long threads on the issue a long time ago. At some point I will swap it out.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#37 OFFLINE   futureformercsr

futureformercsr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

I like sigma's response, we have absolutely no way of knowing whether you're actually doing the troubleshooting or not, but as has been mentioned the company line is to attempt to replace with same model number. So as the title of the thread indicates, no guarantee of model you will receive.
The views expressed by me are solely my own and not those of DirecTV.

#38 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Just between us, that's probably what I'll do at some point.

#39 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

That explains it. Although my problem is triggered by a signal issue, the actual problem is the HR20 itself and IMO a service call is a waste. There was a couple of long threads on the issue a long time ago. At some point I will swap it out.

I had a similar problem with my H20-600s. One quit talking to the LNB altogether one day, and the other had lots of glitches in the picture the first day I got it. They sent out a tech. because the one receiver wasn't getting anything, which was technically a signal issue.

Both boxes happened to be replaced with H24s. The LNB was fine, and the dish was perfectly pointed.

#40 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Great, Great write up! Even I was unsure of some of these things.

1 HR44, 2 HR24s, SWiM 16, SL3 LNB, (CCK) Broadband DECA. DirecTV Subscriber since 2008.

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,284 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

I think this policy is bull....
example:
Went to Solid Signal and paid the $200 for an HR24. 3 months later the hard drive went. Solid Signal won't take it back, and DTV says I could get any receiver as a replacement. You know there is a reason I went to Solid Signal and spent the $200. I have the protection plan, I could have just called DTV and said replace my 9 year Tivo box (which still works by the way) for nothing rather than going to Solid Signal and spending the $$$ for the box I wanted.

So what did I do? Went to Best Buy and purchased an external drive. HR24 works fine now, but that doesn't make the policy right.

DirecTV will try to replace an H24/HR24 with a H24/HR24, especially if you have WHDVR service. The reasoning is that they don't need to worry about sending out a DECA unit as the DECA is built into the HR24.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#42 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

DirecTV will try to replace an H24/HR24 with a H24/HR24, especially if you have WHDVR service. The reasoning is that they don't need to worry about sending out a DECA unit as the DECA is built into the HR24.

- Merg

Having 2 HR24's now and enjoying the speed they offer I would be extremely upset to get anything else as a replacement.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

You don't say when your unit went down, but it has been stated many times here that if they can, currently DirecTV wants to replace like with like. If your unit went down today, I would ask for the replacement. I'd bet you'd get back a HR24.

Maybe somebody who follows these issues more closely can me can comment, but I don't remember an instance of a HR24 being replaced with anything other than a HR24, or at least not recently, since the inital shortage of HR24s has gone away. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My 24s have always been replaced with 24s. So far, I've had to return three, two 500s and one 200. Just got a brand new 500 to replace a 500 that kept crashing. I've even got an "R" 500 that's been working quite well since I got it.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

Posted Image

Thank you! I'm sitting here laughing my butt off! It's so good to see some humor on the forum.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

I never have a problem getting a bad HR replaced. But, my account is flagged and that helps me quite a bit. And I don't call unless my HR is truly unusable. There's really no reason for a person to be turned down if you have the PP. Three calls about the same issue will trigger a call from the Case Management Group and they will get your problem resolved quickly. They are the most knowledgeable folks you can get to at D* and are quite rational.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 722 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, NH

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

More than one member here has had their HR24 replaced with an HR24. It's the 21/22/23 models that seem to get interchanged often.

I would say that if you have whole home and a HR24...then they pretty much have to send you a HR24 otherwise they need to set up installation of the DECA units and such...problably the best way to have some assurance of getting a 24 series.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR24-200, Samsung 65HU8550 4k RVU

#47 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

I know this goes against the grain. However, I was told I’d get a HR24-500 by the CSR, and I did get a HR24-500 less than 24 hours later on my doorstep (it was a self install order).

Here’s the story, as you all know the HR20-700 does not support 3D. Since I’m getting a new TV soon, I thought it would be best to move my HR20-700 to the kid’s room and get a new DVR for the living room. I simply told the CSR I needed a DVR that supports 3D and MRV. After 15 minutes on hold she came back on and said sorry for the wait. Since you’ve been on hold so long we’ll upgrade you at no additional cost (other than a breathtaking two year commitment :lol:). When I reviewed the HR24-500 PO paperwork, it had “whole home DVR” listed as a separate line item. It was structured as if I ordered two items within the PO.

If you state you need a 3D capable DVR, you will get a 3D capable DVR. For “self installs” clearly DIRECTV must have the ability to cherry pick 3D capable units.

On a side note, this whole HDGUI prospect puts another wrinkle in this system. Not many people will be too happy if they have to replace their loaded (3D capable, larger hard drive, fancy touch panel, faster processor, runs cool & HDGUI) HR24-500 for a HR20-700. At some point DIRECTV will have to have full control on inventory. It will not be fair for two customers to pay the same price. One gets a new loaded HR24 (with aforementioned features), the other gets a refurbished HR20.

#48 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

So far, I've had to return three, two 500s and one 200. Rich

What kind of failures are you experiencing ?

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,015 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

What kind of failures are you experiencing ?

The 200 had a loose coax barrel and I turned it and it broke internally. One of the 500s went completely berserk (too long a story to tell, you can do a search for it. Just use the keyword berserk and it should come up) and the latest one was just shutting down at odd intervals. The front panel wouldn't work and the remote had no effect. Had to keep rebooting. The fourth or fifth time was the end of it. I only have so much patience with these things.

Meanwhile, my eight 20-700s keep right on truckin'.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

which is why they are rolling trucks more often then previously.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...