Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

>>> DirecTV does NOT promise any specific model of receiver! <<<

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

I think this policy is bull....
example:
Went to Solid Signal and paid the $200 for an HR24. 3 months later the hard drive went. Solid Signal won't take it back, and DTV says I could get any receiver as a replacement. You know there is a reason I went to Solid Signal and spent the $200. I have the protection plan, I could have just called DTV and said replace my 9 year Tivo box (which still works by the way) for nothing rather than going to Solid Signal and spending the $$$ for the box I wanted.

So what did I do? Went to Best Buy and purchased an external drive. HR24 works fine now, but that doesn't make the policy right.

DirecTV will try to replace an H24/HR24 with a H24/HR24, especially if you have WHDVR service. The reasoning is that they don't need to worry about sending out a DECA unit as the DECA is built into the HR24.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

DirecTV will try to replace an H24/HR24 with a H24/HR24, especially if you have WHDVR service. The reasoning is that they don't need to worry about sending out a DECA unit as the DECA is built into the HR24.

- Merg

Having 2 HR24's now and enjoying the speed they offer I would be extremely upset to get anything else as a replacement.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

You don't say when your unit went down, but it has been stated many times here that if they can, currently DirecTV wants to replace like with like. If your unit went down today, I would ask for the replacement. I'd bet you'd get back a HR24.

Maybe somebody who follows these issues more closely can me can comment, but I don't remember an instance of a HR24 being replaced with anything other than a HR24, or at least not recently, since the inital shortage of HR24s has gone away. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My 24s have always been replaced with 24s. So far, I've had to return three, two 500s and one 200. Just got a brand new 500 to replace a 500 that kept crashing. I've even got an "R" 500 that's been working quite well since I got it.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

Posted Image

Thank you! I'm sitting here laughing my butt off! It's so good to see some humor on the forum.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Incorrect, at least in my experience. If an issue is correctable by reboot, the CSR will not send a replacement - at least that is what I've been told on a couple of occasions by CSRs.

I've had an issue for a couple of years now with my HR20-700, when I get a heavy rain that causes rain fade, tuner one will not come back online until the system is rebooted. I've been told twice by CSRs, when attempting to get it replaced, that as long as a reboot fixes the problem, they will not send a replacement unit, period.

I never have a problem getting a bad HR replaced. But, my account is flagged and that helps me quite a bit. And I don't call unless my HR is truly unusable. There's really no reason for a person to be turned down if you have the PP. Three calls about the same issue will trigger a call from the Case Management Group and they will get your problem resolved quickly. They are the most knowledgeable folks you can get to at D* and are quite rational.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

More than one member here has had their HR24 replaced with an HR24. It's the 21/22/23 models that seem to get interchanged often.

I would say that if you have whole home and a HR24...then they pretty much have to send you a HR24 otherwise they need to set up installation of the DECA units and such...problably the best way to have some assurance of getting a 24 series.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#47 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

I know this goes against the grain. However, I was told I’d get a HR24-500 by the CSR, and I did get a HR24-500 less than 24 hours later on my doorstep (it was a self install order).

Here’s the story, as you all know the HR20-700 does not support 3D. Since I’m getting a new TV soon, I thought it would be best to move my HR20-700 to the kid’s room and get a new DVR for the living room. I simply told the CSR I needed a DVR that supports 3D and MRV. After 15 minutes on hold she came back on and said sorry for the wait. Since you’ve been on hold so long we’ll upgrade you at no additional cost (other than a breathtaking two year commitment :lol:). When I reviewed the HR24-500 PO paperwork, it had “whole home DVR” listed as a separate line item. It was structured as if I ordered two items within the PO.

If you state you need a 3D capable DVR, you will get a 3D capable DVR. For “self installs” clearly DIRECTV must have the ability to cherry pick 3D capable units.

On a side note, this whole HDGUI prospect puts another wrinkle in this system. Not many people will be too happy if they have to replace their loaded (3D capable, larger hard drive, fancy touch panel, faster processor, runs cool & HDGUI) HR24-500 for a HR20-700. At some point DIRECTV will have to have full control on inventory. It will not be fair for two customers to pay the same price. One gets a new loaded HR24 (with aforementioned features), the other gets a refurbished HR20.

#48 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

So far, I've had to return three, two 500s and one 200. Rich

What kind of failures are you experiencing ?

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

What kind of failures are you experiencing ?

The 200 had a loose coax barrel and I turned it and it broke internally. One of the 500s went completely berserk (too long a story to tell, you can do a search for it. Just use the keyword berserk and it should come up) and the latest one was just shutting down at odd intervals. The front panel wouldn't work and the remote had no effect. Had to keep rebooting. The fourth or fifth time was the end of it. I only have so much patience with these things.

Meanwhile, my eight 20-700s keep right on truckin'.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

That's when you use the "it doesn't come on" method. ;)

which is why they are rolling trucks more often then previously.

#51 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

The policy (when it comes to truck rolls) is to replace like for like [or newer]. Obviously with the inventory system being what it is, we have what's on the truck, and there's nothing we can do about that. So that physically can't always be the case, but it is the guideline. There is consideration taken as to the replacement model in the field.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#52 OFFLINE   liquidctv

liquidctv

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

So how do you explain to a customer why they have to pay up-front for a leased receiver? Is it because it would be more expensive otherwise? Like, do HD-DVRs cost $500 to manufacture?

The couple of times I compared it to a leased car, it just made them angry.

Also, does DirecTV guarantee replacements for failed equipment? The contract terms and the existence of protection plan seems to imply that in some cases, you could be s.o.l. if your receiver dies.

#53 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

The up front lease is the only lease you pay on the receiver. If you weren't leasing the receiver the up front cost would be closer to $500 for an owned HD-DVR. Here's a refurbished owned receiver for $430.
http://www.solidsign...1PRO)&c=DIRECTV

Yes defective leased receivers get replaced for free with another leased receiver. Without the protection plan you are supposed to pay $20 for shipping, but sometimes you can get that waived too. These replacements do not require a new 2 year agreement, although sometimes the CSRs mess up and activate them incorrectly. If you have a 2 year agreement started incorrectly you will have to deal with them to get it removed and it can take some work to do so (usually emailing Ellen's office gets it fixed pretty quickly though).

DirecTV does not guarantee that you will get the same exact model as a replacement though. For example if you have an HR23 you could end up with an HR21 as a replacement. They do however try to replace HR20s with HR20s if you tell them that you use OTA, and they supposedly try to replace HR24s with HR24s if you have Whole Home DVR on your account.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#54 OFFLINE   liquidctv

liquidctv

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

>Yes defective leased receivers get replaced for free with another leased receiver. Without the protection plan you are supposed to pay $20 for shipping, but sometimes you can get that waived too.

Good info bro, ty.

#55 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

It's instructive to note that, back in the day when the HR10-250 MPEG2-only HD TiVo first came out, and for about 2 years afterwards, the cost for that HD-DVR was $999! Obviously, you owned it at that price, but customers had to cough up a grand UP-FRONT to get an HD-DVR. Eventually the price came down to $699, and finally, once everyone already knew that HD would require MPEG4, and the HR20 was about to be released, they dropped the price down to $399 to get rid of them. Yes, that $399 was a CLEARANCE PRICE for an about-to-be-obsolete HD-DVR.

Currently, an HD-TiVo v3 is $449 on sale (normally $499), and it can't even work with satellite. So, yes, $499 is a very realistic price of what an HR2x would cost if DirecTV was selling them outright. Of course, you'd always get a new one, but who wants to pay $500 upfront PER HD-DVR, only to have a new model come out in a year and have no one wanting the old one (value drops big time)? Ask iPad owners how this works.

DirecTV's system is a benefit for the vast majority of people, and has greatly increased HD adoption and up-take on the other advanced features that require HD-DVRs. Sure, a few people may not be as happy as they could be, but if you tried to go back to $500 "owned" HD-DVRs, you'd find that far more people would be upset.

Plus, the $500 owned HD-DVR is still fully available if you want it: just call DirecTV, ask for the Access Card department, and tell them you want to order a brand new HR24 to OWN, and they can set you right up. What's that? You don't want to pay that much? Exactly.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#56 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

I was promised an HRMC57-9000 and got an HR22-100 instead. I feel cheated.

;)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#57 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

What a bad system they have. They make you sign a 2 year deal, pay up front costs to get everything installed and you can't even pick a model number. Imagine going to the car dealership, signing a 2 year lease and they just give you whatever car they see fit. Giving people garbage pos refurb boxes when you are paying up front lease costs and signing a 2 year contract is just outrageous. Most people could care less what model they get, so why not let the few of us who want certain models just get them. DirecTV needs to seriously rethink how they distribute boxes. I can't tell you how many times I have read posts with people being upset on what boxes they got. Now if you are getting the boxes for free, fine they have a case. When they are charging you $200 a box? Give me a break, they way they run it is an absolute joke.

#58 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

What a bad system they have. They make you sign a 2 year deal, pay up front costs to get everything installed and you can't even pick a model number. Imagine going to the car dealership, signing a 2 year lease and they just give you whatever car they see fit. Giving people garbage pos refurb boxes when you are paying up front lease costs and signing a 2 year contract is just outrageous. Most people could care less what model they get, so why not let the few of us who want certain models just get them. DirecTV needs to seriously rethink how they distribute boxes. I can't tell you how many times I have read posts with people being upset on what boxes they got. Now if you are getting the boxes for free, fine they have a case. When they are charging you $200 a box? Give me a break, they way they run it is an absolute joke.

You do understand that DirecTV is not the only company doing this, right? Cable companies are also prime offenders of this. I've seen Scientific Atlanta boxes from Cox here in San Diego that are in far worse "refurbished" shape that the worst refurb DirecTV box I've ever seen. Plus, Cox charges over $17 for the HD DVR (plus service) per month, and that's just their basic HD DVR with no MRV and a 250GB Hard Drive. DirecTV isn't "scamming" people, they're just in line with everyone else.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#59 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

You do understand that DirecTV is not the only company doing this, right? Cable companies are also prime offenders of this. I've seen Scientific Atlanta boxes from Cox here in San Diego that are in far worse "refurbished" shape that the worst refurb DirecTV box I've ever seen. Plus, Cox charges over $17 for the HD DVR (plus service) per month, and that's just their basic HD DVR with no MRV and a 250GB Hard Drive. DirecTV isn't "scamming" people, they're just in line with everyone else.

First off cable doesn't make you sign a 2 year bit unless your doing some price promo bundle. On or off contract they don't charge up front lease fees for equipment. When I had comcast I wanted the new moto dcx box. I brought my old box in to local office, walked out with a new one. They could care less. Sure maybe I got lucky but still they aren't charging people $200 PER BOX and then make people sign a 2 year deal just to give it back when you quit.

DirecTV can do whatever they want, it's just the way they do things right now is bad business.

#60 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

Seriously? That argument again?

It is COMPLETELY different. Car leases are for a specific length of time and have value at the end.

Although it's also different, it's closer to a Car rental (but no upfront fee). You sign up for a certain car CLASS, and that's what you get.

You (and I) might not agree with the way they do it, but it makes very good business sense, and if I were in charge (or you), it would probably work the same way.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...