Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

>>> DirecTV does NOT promise any specific model of receiver! <<<

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

DirecTV, as a company, does not promise a specific model. This is stated over and over again in their sales literature.

Exactly. There is NO DirecTV-approved promise or guarantee of any specific model.

Yes, some *individual CSRs* my violate company policy and promise you a specific model, but those CSRs are no more "right" than the McDonalds employee who makes you a burger with a 20-minute-expired burger patty. Does it happen? Yes, we all know it does. Is it *supposed to happen*? No. Is it sanctioned by the company? No.

That was my point.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:43 AM

DirecTV, as a company, does not promise a specific model.

They do to some extent. If you have a HR20 and state that you use OTA you get a HR20 as a replacement. Also, lately it seems that boxes are being replaced with the same model number( ex. HR22 gets another HR22). They can accommodate the small percentage of customers that ask for the superior HR24, they choose not to.

#103 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

$199 for an HD DVR is not full price.

$199 IS the full price that DirecTV charges for a leased, not owned, HD-DVR. Whether $199 covers DirecTV's cost of a DVR is another matter.

I suspect most people don't pay this full price. I know I didn't.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#104 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

$199 IS the full price that DirecTV charges for a leased, not owned, HD-DVR. Whether $199 covers DirecTV's cost of a DVR is another matter.

I suspect most people don't pay this full price. I know I didn't.

I believe dirtyblueshirt was responding to the comment that someone pays the full price for a refurbished DVR of $199. While that is what DirecTV charges, it is not the full cost of a DVR

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#105 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

They do to some extent. If you have a HR20 and state that you use OTA you get a HR20 as a replacement.

While it is true that they do DO this, I have never seen a corporate-approved, intended-for-customers'-eyes document promising such fulfillment, nor any advertising stating such. Have you? Anyone?

#106 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

While it is true that they do DO this, I have never seen a corporate-approved, intended-for-customers'-eyes document promising such fulfillment, nor any advertising stating such. Have you? Anyone?

I sure haven't. They are just being nice and swapping workhorse for workhorse. :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#107 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

They do to some extent. If you have a HR20 and state that you use OTA you get a HR20 as a replacement. Also, lately it seems that boxes are being replaced with the same model number( ex. HR22 gets another HR22). They can accommodate the small percentage of customers that ask for the superior HR24, they choose not to.

Model number for model number is a fluke and is not impacted any way by an agent or the system. The OTA scenario is the only time a person has any impact on anything and they still don't promise. I've know of people getting a non 20 and an AM 21. Probably due to the warehouse being out of 20's at the time. So the policy has to do with OTA not a specific receiver. It's also a priority model not a guaranteed model. They won't not ship a receiver if they don't have a 20 on hand.

24's so far seem to be replaced with 24's on accounts with MRV active but again no person has the ability to order one specifically. If it's a system rule then the system automatically does it. However again nowhere does it ever say that they will do it so they don't have to. Would you accept not having a receiver if there wasn't a 24 on hand?

Agents don't want to have more confrontation then they have to. So if something proves to be true more often than not to them they go with it. They also believe things that other people tell them so if one agent says this will happen why would they call them a liar. This is true with any company and any work place. If you get an agent that promises you a model ask them how they did it. A notation on a work order is irrelevant. They can't notate anything for a drop shipped order so ask them if they specifically selected a model number. If they say they did I would just hang up and get somenoe else.

So once again DIRECTV does not in any way guarantee a model of a receiver. Agents cannot do so when you order them. Anything else that happens is because of rules setup, or lack there of, in the system which can be changed without notice and with no reason given because they can.

Argue all you want but that's the bottom line. I get people not happy with the policy but for people to argue with it is laughable. I can guarantee none of the people arguing work for DIRECTV and have any real knowledge of their inventory management system but they're sure how it works.

#108 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Would you accept not having a receiver if there wasn't a 24 on hand?

Yes, if it meant trading my HR24-x00 for a HR21-100, I would wait it out with a spare. :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#109 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

Would you accept not having a receiver if there wasn't a 24 on hand?

I would wait for a 24. After living through hell with HR22's I will not go back. So once again the whole policy is garbage as are the HR 21-23's for that matter.

#110 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

I believe dirtyblueshirt was responding to the comment that someone pays the full price for a refurbished DVR of $199. While that is what DirecTV charges, it is not the full cost of a DVR

Having access (via subscription, so alas I cannot share) to the true build costs of the directv receivers, you are absolutely correct. Its doesnt cost $199 to make a directv receiver.

It costs somewhat less than that. But I suspect that isnt the point you were trying to make. A new directv receiver on average costs about $150 to make, and they get it back at the end of the 'lease' and charge you monthly, so they make a tidy profit on every HD DVR 'sold', plus whatever they bring in on the programming fee. Triple and quadruple dipping at its finest.

As I've mentioned in years past, its sad that directv pretends to not have a receiver database model that lets them determine what receiver a customer will receive, because they have that exact database. But if they let anyone know that, then everyone who has internet access and reads pretty much any of the 32,000,000 articles that tell them what receivers stink and which ones dont would then want a good one.

Dont believe it? Then why couldnt you get a bunch of HD DVR's and then return something else like an old tivo HD receiver? Ah yes, because they have a database. What if a fire burned down a warehouse? Of course they'd know how many and what type of receiver was lost for insurance purposes, because they have a database.

Still think they dont know exactly what kind, how many and which kind they ship to a customer and have no control of that? Come on man, its 2011.

And as we know, its all about cost. Not customer satisfaction.

#111 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Having access (via subscription, so alas I cannot share) to the true build costs of the directv receivers, you are absolutely correct. Its doesnt cost $199 to make a directv receiver.

It costs somewhat less than that. But I suspect that isnt the point you were trying to make. A new directv receiver on average costs about $150 to make, and they get it back at the end of the 'lease' and charge you monthly, so they make a tidy profit on every HD DVR 'sold', plus whatever they bring in on the programming fee. Triple and quadruple dipping at its finest.

As I've mentioned in years past, its sad that directv pretends to not have a receiver database model that lets them determine what receiver a customer will receive, because they have that exact database. But if they let anyone know that, then everyone who has internet access and reads pretty much any of the 32,000,000 articles that tell them what receivers stink and which ones dont would then want a good one.

Dont believe it? Then why couldnt you get a bunch of HD DVR's and then return something else like an old tivo HD receiver? Ah yes, because they have a database. What if a fire burned down a warehouse? Of course they'd know how many and what type of receiver was lost for insurance purposes, because they have a database.

Still think they dont know exactly what kind, how many and which kind they ship to a customer and have no control of that? Come on man, its 2011.

And as we know, its all about cost. Not customer satisfaction.

Good to see you're still around! And still making sense. :)

Rich

#112 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

As I've mentioned in years past, its sad that directv pretends to not have a receiver database model that lets them determine what receiver a customer will receive, because they have that exact database.

They know what you have on your account in the database, yes.

As far as what a customer is going to get, you really don't understand how it works.

Far more than 90% of receivers get to customers via a tech. When you schedule an install or upgrade, DirecTV has no idea what tech will be doing your install, much less exactly what equipment that tech will have on-hand that day.

Example: It's Jan 1, and you order a new install. Your install is set up for Jan 6. How can you expect DirecTV to know what equipment some random tech is going to have 5 days from your order date? Oh, but then, something comes up, and you've got to go out of town, and now you're going to reschedule for the 15th. Whatever inventory might have been available on the 6th is not necessarily available on the 15th.

A local DirecTV warehouse doesn't get to order receivers by model; they only order by receiver type. And very often, they don't get as many as they ask for, especially when inventories are low. So, it is very common for a warehouse to look at their volume for the next week and order, say, 3,000 HD-DVRs. What arrives a few days later? 1800 refurb HR21s and 300 HR24s. Typically, then, several of the field supervisors load up their vans with HR24s to dole out for calls that they feel "really need them". So, 100 HR24s are set aside that way, and 200 are left to be randomly distributed to the techs that week.

The next day, nearly all HR24s issued to techs are likely going to have been installed. The rest of the week, everything installed is going to be an HR21, at least until the DECAs run out, and then techs will have to beg their supervisors for an HR24.

Keep in mind, too, that many of the installers are subcontractors. A sub may have, say, 10 installers, but all equipment is checked out to the one subcontractor, and DirecTV has no information on which installer for that sub has what equipment.

So, given all that, DirecTV has little interest in promising any particular model number. It would result in tons of reschedules and cancelations because of people waiting for their model number to be available, as well as a bunch of receivers piling up that no one wanted while jobs waited on hold for "the new hotness" to be available.

That isn't gonna happen.

Even if you argued that DirecTV has much better control of the receivers they ship out directly (and they do), the same basic thing applies: everyone would want the latest receiver. That would defeat one of the benefits of the lease model for DirecTV, and that isn't in their best interest.

So, we're back to this: there is already a solution for those folks who want what they want, and that is DirecTV retailers. If you must have a specific model, there are retailers at your disposal to help you.

If you are trying to get a "deal" by working directly with DirecTV, who can undercut the deals that retailers can offer, fine, but know up-front that you're going to get whatever model you get, and aren't going to have control over that.

You can't have it both ways.

#113 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

I agree, if enough people leave and complain it will change. The problem you have people here that stand by the horrible policy and try and justify DTV's actions even know it's complete bs. DTV has such a bad reputation, "F" rating BBB, yea that's great for your company imagine. I don't need to hear trolls saying the BBB is stupid bla bla. I actually kinda agree it is, but the bottom line people use the bbb all the time and trust them. The BBB understands a business will have complaints. If complaints are properly resolved, there is no way you will have an "F" rating. Clearly they are not doing something right.

I don't know how you guys can sit here and defend an "F" rated company. The policy is wack and you guys know it. This policy by no means helps the business rating.

And if you're that unhappy with this "F" rated company's policies, why do YOU stick with them?
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#114 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

They know what you have on your account in the database, yes.

As far as what a customer is going to get, you really don't understand how it works.

Far more than 90% of receivers get to customers via a tech. When you schedule an install or upgrade, DirecTV has no idea what tech will be doing your install, much less exactly what equipment that tech will have on-hand that day.

Example: It's Jan 1, and you order a new install. Your install is set up for Jan 6. How can you expect DirecTV to know what equipment some random tech is going to have 5 days from your order date? Oh, but then, something comes up, and you've got to go out of town, and now you're going to reschedule for the 15th. Whatever inventory might have been available on the 6th is not necessarily available on the 15th.

A local DirecTV warehouse doesn't get to order receivers by model; they only order by receiver type. And very often, they don't get as many as they ask for, especially when inventories are low. So, it is very common for a warehouse to look at their volume for the next week and order, say, 3,000 HD-DVRs. What arrives a few days later? 1800 refurb HR21s and 300 HR24s. Typically, then, several of the field supervisors load up their vans with HR24s to dole out for calls that they feel "really need them". So, 100 HR24s are set aside that way, and 200 are left to be randomly distributed to the techs that week.

The next day, nearly all HR24s issued to techs are likely going to have been installed. The rest of the week, everything installed is going to be an HR21, at least until the DECAs run out, and then techs will have to beg their supervisors for an HR24.

Keep in mind, too, that many of the installers are subcontractors. A sub may have, say, 10 installers, but all equipment is checked out to the one subcontractor, and DirecTV has no information on which installer for that sub has what equipment.

So, given all that, DirecTV has little interest in promising any particular model number. It would result in tons of reschedules and cancelations because of people waiting for their model number to be available, as well as a bunch of receivers piling up that no one wanted while jobs waited on hold for "the new hotness" to be available.

That isn't gonna happen.

Even if you argued that DirecTV has much better control of the receivers they ship out directly (and they do), the same basic thing applies: everyone would want the latest receiver. That would defeat one of the benefits of the lease model for DirecTV, and that isn't in their best interest.

So, we're back to this: there is already a solution for those folks who want what they want, and that is DirecTV retailers. If you must have a specific model, there are retailers at your disposal to help you.

If you are trying to get a "deal" by working directly with DirecTV, who can undercut the deals that retailers can offer, fine, but know up-front that you're going to get whatever model you get, and aren't going to have control over that.

You can't have it both ways.

Well said. This is a great example and makes perfect sense. Why people don't understand this is beyond me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#115 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

And if you're that unhappy with this "F" rated company's policies, why do YOU stick with them?

It's quite unfortunate that D* let this happen. I've been treated so well for the last few years it's mind boggling. For D* to have a poorer rating than Verizon is also mind boggling and leads me to believe that there is a disconnect in the way the BBB itself does business.

Rich

#116 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

It's quite unfortunate that D* let this happen. I've been treated so well for the last few years it's mind boggling. For D* to have a poorer rating than Verizon is also mind boggling and leads me to believe that there is a disconnect in the way the BBB itself does business.

Rich

BBB has been raked over the coals as much as anyone else in the past few years for shoddy practices.

That said, Verizon gets no points from me for good customer service. My FiOS internet and phone service is excellent for the most part but when there's a billing problem or they make some other mistake it takes an awful lot of effort to get it resolved.

I've only had one billing problem in four years with DirecTV and that took three months to resolve.

Best customer service I've ever had was from Apple. They not only replaced my broken ear buds for my iPod Touch quickly but the replacement buds included a built-in microphone. It helps that the Apple store is about a mile from my house.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#117 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Rich

The BBB is a scam. Have you seen ABCs 20/20 exposure of them? If you don't pay the BBB their fees, then your company gets shafted. This applies to huge businesses all the way down to small 1 person businesses.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#118 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Rich

Verizon must pay the BBB more money

#119 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Verizon must pay the BBB more money

Or ANY money.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#120 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

For the same reason that YOU will stick with your local water or power company even though you are very unhappy with them.

spam firewall