Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

>>> DirecTV does NOT promise any specific model of receiver! <<<

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

For the same reason that YOU will stick with your local water or power company even though you are very unhappy with them.

So you are unable to switch to a cable or FIOS system? Surely you could get DISH installed??

With regulated utilities such as power and water, the alternative choices tend to be very expensive and impractical. Big difference between them and TV services.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

So you are unable to switch to a cable or FIOS system? Surely you could get DISH installed??

With regulated utilities such as power and water, the alternative choices tend to be very expensive and impractical. Big difference between them and TV services.

Yes, I could go back to cable or sign up with Dish. No FIOS. The point being that the options are extremely limited. Can't even get OTA. As one who has been with DirecTV since the beginning, I just hate to see the lack of real customer service that has evolved since the creation of the leasing business model. I think the only way they get away with it is that electronic equipment in general these days is very reliable. So those that have to be subjected to the lease nasties are only a small percentage of the total DirecTV base.

#123 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I could go back to cable or sign up with Dish. No FIOS. The point being that the options are extremely limited. Can't even get OTA. As one who has been with DirecTV since the beginning, I just hate to see the lack of real customer service that has evolved since the creation of the leasing business model. I think the only way they get away with it is that electronic equipment in general these days is very reliable. So those that have to be subjected to the lease nasties are only a small percentage of the total DirecTV base.

OK, you do have some choices, and I am glad for you on that.

My point was that TV providers are very different from utilities which are generally regulated by PUCs.

#124 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

My point was that TV providers are very different from utilities which are generally regulated by PUCs.

And TV providers are very different from each other.

#125 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

However, there is an increasing number of municipal utility companies that are moving into providing TV and broadband services. Groton, CT provides cable, voice, & broadband now and my town (Norwich) is also considering getting into it. Everything they do is subject to the same public tax payer scrutiny and FOIA as the other utilities and they’re very competitively priced.

You’re right, there is a really big difference between them and the national service providers. The tax payers have a say in how it’s run, what services they provide, and the pricing structures...ok the big difference is I'm talking about a municipal utility and not a private company so it's not quite what you meant but it is and interesting trend. :grin:

Mike

Attached Files

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#126 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Heck, yeah, that is very interesting!

To whom can you complain about lack of certain HD channels?? :D

Who negotiates (The Mayor? Another committee?) with the HBOs and ESPNs of the world? (Though the latter seems quite absent)

Are the fees they pay open to public scrutiny? Can the town prudes shut down access to Playboy TV?

The Primo package seems pretty good!

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

Heck, yeah, that is very interesting!

To whom can you complain about lack of certain HD channels?? :D

Who negotiates (The Mayor? Another committee?) with the HBOs and ESPNs of the world? (Though the latter seems quite absent)

Are the fees they pay open to public scrutiny?

They have a Board of Directors. You can read the monthly & special meeting minutes on the city’s website. They’re corporation formed by city ordinance and subject to all the same requirements as any other municipal department. The monthly meetings are public (except for executive session of course), and special meetings have to be publicly posted and in the legal section of the local paper just like any other city department.

The Board of Directors oversees all the negotiations for carriage.

Can the town prudes shut down access to Playboy TV?

Apparently not because they carry it. :grin:

The Primo package seems pretty good!

It is pretty nice.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#128 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,599 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Oops.....sorry....opened the wrong door to the wrong room....

...thought this was about specific receiver model replacements....

...excuse me....go about your business....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#129 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

For the same reason that YOU will stick with your local water or power company even though you are very unhappy with them.

I'm unhappy with my local water & power company? Really? Since when?

Unlike the water & power company, there are MANY choices for TV programming. If you're complaining about subscribing to an "F" rated company for your TV service, then switch.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#130 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Abuse is down the hall; This is Arguments!

No, it isn't!

Yes, it is!

No, ......

#131 OFFLINE   jonquiljo1

jonquiljo1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

Well, it's gotten pretty sleazy with all these companies. You pay $199 to "lease" something that likely cost much much less to build and buy at cost. You then are on the hook for up to $480 by your "commitment" - when buying or leasing a receiver is a commitment.

Now I can see how there are lots of people who mess with DTV, get a receiver, don't pay - and flake on them. Collections are tough and they get stuck with the losses. But that's part of doing business!

If you've been with DTV for 5 or 10 years, they should realize that you have been with them and are not the "here today gone tomorrow" type. They likely get $80+ a month from you, which is $1000 a year - just for regular service.

Three things I see wrong: First, this is not like a smartphone where they are subsidizing the purchase price substantially. In fact, you don't ever own the thing anyway. Secondly, it's not like you are using bandwidth that is limited. The satellite signals they transmit are there and don't need to be shared with others. Basically they don't need to increase capacity because lots of users in a town utilize their service. Finally, "commitments" are not the way to keep "long-standing" customers in your fold. Providing a better service is the way to achieve that.

So when DirectTv refuses to sell you a current model (guaranteed) and instead charges you $199 for a lease on a likely used, older model - all with a $480 commitment for service that costs a good amount of money anyway - you are being taken advantage of. Electronics are cheap disposables in 2011 - and no one can deny that. Good long-term customers are hard to find. It's not the money that matters to those of us who find this offensive, its the principle of being treated like trash.

The only reason DTV gets away with it is because all providers treat customers like trash in the end. Oh, they may "hook" you with special offers - but when the offer expires, watch out! Contracts should be allowed to expire after a certain time period, and no one should be made to keep their commitment to get the most up to date equipment. They should just get the equipment as part of ongoing service. This is DirectTv's way of passing off the costs of it's deadbeat customers to those of us who play the game fairly with them for years.

Doesn't that make you feel a bit "dirty" - and wouldn't you "jump" at the chance if someone set up shop and offered a similar service with a better attitude? Remember, years ago everyone thought that all the Bell systems were going to be forever. It was "the phone company". Well, the phone company learned the hard way. If they had provided service that people felt was fair and reasonable, then they would likely still be around. But the world changed, and people got tired of leasing phones and paying a monopoly each month - with overcharging at each step.

Happy customers keep a company going. Companies can always fall apart or be dismantled. Loyal customers can save them. This policy does not make loyal customers. It makes customer wary of every thing that DTV does.

#132 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

So many things in your post are illogical that I won't even try.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#133 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

I'm unhappy with my local water & power company? Really? Since when?

Unlike the water & power company, there are MANY choices for TV programming. If you're complaining about subscribing to an "F" rated company for your TV service, then switch.

I didn't say you were unhappy. It was merely an example of utility type items that are difficult to change. The TV choices for me are DirecTV, Dish Network and one cable company. So my choices beyond DirecTV are just Dish and cable. Not much of a choice.

#134 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

I didn't say you were unhappy. It was merely an example of utility type items that are difficult to change. The TV choices for me are DirecTV, Dish Network and one cable company. So my choices beyond DirecTV are just Dish and cable. Not much of a choice.

Really?

I'm sorry...you didn't say WHAT?

Read what you post. I sure as hell did. :grin:
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#135 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,802 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

Think I'm lost too, can't find the specific model of receiver thread. :D

#136 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

Really?

I'm sorry...you didn't say WHAT?

Read what you post. I sure as hell did. :grin:

The statement was never meant to be taken literally, which you obviously did.

#137 OFFLINE   jaxtoo

jaxtoo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

Just yesterday during chat their agent told me that ALL of their machines are the 500 gig hard drives now, that that is all they have. I guess they will tell you anything to get you to sign up. I am sure glad I found this thread.

And right this minute my husband is on the phone with a CSR who is promising him a 500 gig hard drive. It will be interesting to see what really happens.

That cable company that we all know also promised us a 500 gig hard drive and gave us a 120 gig. The installer stood right here by our TV and even lied to us that it WAS a 500 gig hard drive.

So we are cancelling with that cable company and going back to DirecTV. I sure hope we get the upgraded machine. We will see, I guess.

(Hi all! New here, have read here frequently but finally signed up.. I sort of feel like I know a few of you already, even though you have no clue who I am)

#138 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Just yesterday during chat their agent told me that ALL of their machines are the 500 gig hard drives now, that that is all they have. I guess they will tell you anything to get you to sign up. I am sure glad I found this thread.

And right this minute my husband is on the phone with a CSR who is promising him a 500 gig hard drive. It will be interesting to see what really happens.

Mine did the same thing, and forgot to mention the extra $10 HD fee. That's the problem with this thread -- it represents D*'s POLICY, but it's not what is actually DONE.

It's sad that they have a "third-party" agent go over your order after the D* agent is done with you. But it is the right thing to do. It makes the terms of the lease clearer (well, sort of). And the third-party agent did tell me about the $10 HD fee. But she did NOT correct the promise of the HR24.

It's OK, I called the installation company directly, they noted there was NO promise anywhere in their notes, and I had them put in a request for an HR24. It was granted. This is the best way to get what you want, but even that is not guaranteed unless you are firm.

So far, my experience with the HR24 is much better than my experience with the HR20 and HR21 models two years ago. So it is worth a try.

#139 OFFLINE   jaxtoo

jaxtoo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

We just finished the sign up.... we did not have any 3rd party agent. Plus, right now the HD fees are waived. We got a really good deal considering that we technically are not new customers, we had only been gone for a few days.

How do we find out who the installation company is so that we could call them, they did not give us that info? I guess we should have asked but I did not know to do so.

They "say" we are getting the HR24 with the 620 gig hard drive. If they show up without it, they will get turned away at the door.

Edited by jaxtoo, 06 May 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#140 OFFLINE   jaxtoo

jaxtoo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Called back and they cannot tell us who the installer is? Say what? But they did tell us to just refuse the box if it is not the correct one, which I had planned on doing anyway.

spam firewall