Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

multi switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   valleygreen22

valleygreen22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

I had Directv and switched to Comcast. After two weeks I had had enough and went back to Directv. The Comcast installer apparently cut the satellite cables to use to install his cable ( I know that makes no sense). Any way when the Directv guy came he had a really hard time getting it to work. Ran all new cable. Changed from an LNB 5 to an LNB 3 etc. Finally ran the cable directly to the boxes by passing the multi switch. Is there any problems with this ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

If it's working fine, then you're probably OK.

How many Receivers/DVRs do you have? What models? What multiswitch?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,953 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

If it's working fine, then you're probably OK.

How many Receivers/DVRs do you have? What models? What multiswitch?

Yes, as litzdog says if its working OK this way then you are probably alright. As to why the installer specifically bypassed the multiswitch we would need to know more about your setup.

If I were to guess at this point though it is likely that when he changed the LNB from a 5 to a 3 LNB one he also switched it from a legacy four output type to a single output SWiM version which does not use the older tone/voltage multiline multiswitches.

How many lines do you see running from the dish?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

The Comcast installer apparently cut the satellite cables to use to install his cable ( I know that makes no sense).

My local phone company pulled that stunt more than a few times by cutting sections out of wiring. The state came down on them like a ton of bricks as inside wiring had been turned over to the customers and what the phone company did was an act of destructive vandalism.

It was not at all necessary to cut the cables so what the cable company did was criminal.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall