Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

system never grounded????

moving

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Joe: >Is there measurable static build up on the sat dishes?

These dishes are pummeled with 18V on a regular basis. They can sometimes deliver a buzz.

Mantech: >the exterior of the 18g ground wire had melted and exposed the copper.

It's cool that the wire survived.

I checked out an old 18" dish on a golf course that was struck by lightning. It vaporized the first 30' of RG-6 going into the attic. You could see the dust from the PVC jacket lying on the attic floor.

Singed the wooden cupola near the dish too. Clearly, for a moment, the dish was on fire.

What's funny is that after a certain point, the vaporized RG-6 was fine. I barreled it off. Probably cut off ten inches just to be safe.

liquid,

That has been my experience....not getting vaporized...but, in lightning events,....... to see the cable, ground line, 12/2...whatever, "burn open" as the potential charges seek equilibrium.

Along those lines...I got this one from a retired big company electrical supervisor...."do one loop in all electric service lines;" lamps, computers, TVs...anything! If the big spike gets that far it will burn open on the loop and go elsewhere, saving the appliance.

Never lost a beer box before or after doing so myself.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   liquidctv

liquidctv

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Oh the first thirty feet was completely gone. Like when Wile E. Coyote gets zapped and becomes dust on the floor....there was dust on the floor.

And then the wire reappeared 100% intact.

>"do one loop in all electric service lines;" lamps, computers, TVs...anything!

So you're saying the circuit will burn open. Interesting.

#23 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Oh the first thirty feet was completely gone. Like when Wile E. Coyote gets zapped and becomes dust on the floor....there was dust on the floor.

And then the wire reappeared 100% intact.

>"do one loop in all electric service lines;" lamps, computers, TVs...anything!

So you're saying the circuit will burn open. Interesting.

That is what I pass on.

The other one-time observation I have is that among several Directv systems that were damaged by a lightning strike....it was the boxes connected by a TELCO line that had damage. Nothing nearby was apparently hit.

The other concept I watch & study is the direction of the charge / destruction
as a lightning bolt hits, ground to sky or sky to ground? It makes sense that lightning progresses from the mountain of the gods. But how about the other way?

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 18 April 2011 - 09:03 PM.
typo

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

The other concept I watch & study is the direction of the charge / destruction
as a lightning bolt hits, ground to sky or sky to ground? It makes sense that lightning progresses from the mountain of the gods. But how about the other way?

Joe

Some of the shows on this with high speed cameras show it goes both ways.
Guess it simply comes down to the polarity of the charge.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...