Joe: >Is there measurable static build up on the sat dishes?
These dishes are pummeled with 18V on a regular basis. They can sometimes deliver a buzz.
Mantech: >the exterior of the 18g ground wire had melted and exposed the copper.
It's cool that the wire survived.
I checked out an old 18" dish on a golf course that was struck by lightning. It vaporized the first 30' of RG-6 going into the attic. You could see the dust from the PVC jacket lying on the attic floor.
Singed the wooden cupola near the dish too. Clearly, for a moment, the dish was on fire.
What's funny is that after a certain point, the vaporized RG-6 was fine. I barreled it off. Probably cut off ten inches just to be safe.
That has been my experience....not getting vaporized...but, in lightning events,....... to see the cable, ground line, 12/2...whatever, "burn open" as the potential charges seek equilibrium.
Along those lines...I got this one from a retired big company electrical supervisor...."do one loop in all electric service lines;" lamps, computers, TVs...anything! If the big spike gets that far it will burn open on the loop and go elsewhere, saving the appliance.
Never lost a beer box before or after doing so myself.