Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

I know a lot of folks have a lot of interest in what's coming out in tablets and I'd like to open this thread to anything about tablets. The last thread I started kinda centered on the iPad and I'd like to see this one last a while, or as long as the new tablets are released. Any comparisons, any comments, any tablets.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

I now that THIS THREAD is titled "Toshiba......", but that's where most of us have been putting general tablet information.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

I now that THIS THREAD is titled "Toshiba......", but that's where most of us have been putting general tablet information.

Yeah, but I've got six out of the twenty posts and it seems like a more general topic would work better. If it doesn't...

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, but I've got six out of the twenty posts and it seems like a more general topic would work better. If it doesn't...

Rich

Go for it!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

I have the Gtablet by Viewsonic (since Dec '10) that you MUST ROOT to even enjoy and once rooted it's a pretty good little cheap tablet. It's nothing special and sounds like it may get less and less support from VS and NVIDIA but the folks over at XDA are keeping the little bugger alive and well. I would recommend it to anyone that has a little knowledge of rooting an android system (or can read XDA forums) but don't use it if you are just going to use stock.

Otherwise I haven't touch another tablet, so I really don't have anything to compare it to.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#6 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,605 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

I just got hold of a Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi. First tablet I've played with, and I gotta say I really like it! The display is SO much easier to read than my Android phones, and game play is a much better experience. So far, my phones are "just phones" again...though I'm sure that'll change with time and circumstances.
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

I just got hold of a Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi. First tablet I've played with, and I gotta say I really like it! The display is SO much easier to read than my Android phones, and game play is a much better experience. So far, my phones are "just phones" again...though I'm sure that'll change with time and circumstances.

Yep, tablets will have phones in 'em.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:38 AM

Pricing info on the new toshiba tablets.

http://www.newegg.co...iba ant&x=0&y=0
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

I do use my Droid as I would a tablet. I looked at the Samsung 7" Galaxy and I kinda liked the size of it. I had thought it would be too small, but it wasn't.

I also saw a revue of the 10" Acer the other day (I'll provide that link when I find it) and that did look pretty good too, especially the price, $450 compared to the $600 Xoom. Might try one of them.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Pricing info on the new toshiba tablets.

http://www.newegg.co...iba ant&x=0&y=0

Good pricing. Might give one of them a shot, too.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have the Gtablet by Viewsonic (since Dec '10) that you MUST ROOT to even enjoy and once rooted it's a pretty good little cheap tablet. It's nothing special and sounds like it may get less and less support from VS and NVIDIA but the folks over at XDA are keeping the little bugger alive and well. I would recommend it to anyone that has a little knowledge of rooting an android system (or can read XDA forums) but don't use it if you are just going to use stock.

Otherwise I haven't touch another tablet, so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Would you be able to give us some info on the "rooting" process? Or a link to that process? And explain the value of doing that? Thanx.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

I might get flamed for this, so I apologize up-front, but I couldn't imagine buying any tablet other then an iPad.

Maybe it's my Blackberry mentality, where for the last several years, almost everyday there's something cooler on other people's devices ... Now I'm finally part of the majority / cool club, finally. :)

And everyone wants one (iPad). Been trying to get an iPad2, and the words from every location (Apple store, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target), ...) is that the iPad2 is the most requested item, and sells out minutes after arrival.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Some of us have always been part of the "cool club", so that has no allure.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

Maybe a better choice of words would have been that it's nice to mostly never again need to worry about whether an App is available on my device, like the DirecTV App, but I probably have dozens of other examples (at least for me). Just like TV, content is king.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

I'm with you on that.

I'm certainly doing my homework on tablets before investing $500+ on one of them. I commend Rich584 for doing the same.

The most important criteria - it comes down to "What am I going to use if for most of the time, and what does it need to be able to do at any time?". As for Apps...if there are 1 million or 10,000...those numbers mean little, as long as all the key applications are available for what people use these devices for - the rest is mostly fluff stuff most will never use. Every iPad user I've seen in person has <100 apps installed.

I see this device as an opportunity to 1) View HD video (that eliminates the current iPads - but iPad 3 might be in play), 2) on some trips substitute for my laptop (it needs to view and interact with MS Office Powerpoint, Word, and Excel files, 3) it needs to (obviously) browse the web (Flash support is needed for many of the sites I frequent - also not supported by the current iOS tablets), 4) be able to print via bluetooth or USB connectivity directly from applications, 5) be able to store large files for access to #1 and #2 item files above, and 6) support network connectivity and security, including VPN access.

Everyone will have their own needs, but based on those - the newest Android tablets and perhaps iPad3 will be the focus and lead candidates. Right now, the Android 3.0 Honeycomb units seem to meet all these needs.

Since they are just starting to roll out one brand at a time...and iPad3 is likely 6 months or more away...Android units will get my attention to research in the next 90 days or so.

#16 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

I'm very interested in this thread because sometime in the coming months I'll be purchasing one of these 'things of beauty'. Anything with the Android OS is peaking my interest, but working with Apple products, in a work enviroment and for play, for 5 years is causing me to lean towards the iPad/iPad 2. The camera's are something that could be a make or break for me depending on how the PQ is. I take pictures of my son a lot throughout the day on my Android Comet and they turn out fairly nice depending on the lighting. The games are a lot of fun, and since my pc is connected to my only HD TV, it would be nice to have something other than my phone to surf the web and check my email on while my wife is melting faces on Bulletstorm :lol: What are the prices on the iPad/iPad2 now?

-Atti

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

The camera's are something that could be a make or break for me depending on how the PQ is. I take pictures of my son a lot throughout the day on my Android Comet and they turn out fairly nice depending on the lighting. The games are a lot of fun, and since my pc is connected to my only HD TV...

Only the Android tablets have HD (720p) resolution screens - iPads don't. The iPad3 is rumored to have their Retina screen, which would improve upon HD playback.

As for the Camera - the Androids have that covered well too.

#18 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Only the Android tablets have HD (720p) resolution screens - iPads don't. The iPad3 is rumored to have their Retina screen, which would improve upon HD playback.

As for the Camera - the Androids have that covered well too.

Much appreciated. Being a first time father of an 19 month old, I'm a little trigger happy with the camera and camcorder :lol: I'd like to take something you can clearly make out everything around him so when he's old enough to look at them and comprehend, we can show him the apartment we lived in, ect ect. This new enlightenment of the 720p is very intriguing on the Honeycombs status for me. Any recommendations of Android tablets (besides the Xoom). If you could throw in a general price on them that would be fantastic. I have 5 months before I'm going to purchase it, so if there isn't one released yet, then I'm curious as well.

-Atti

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Much appreciated. Being a first time father of an 19 month old, I'm a little trigger happy with the camera and camcorder :lol: I'd like to take something you can clearly make out everything around him so when he's old enough to look at them and comprehend, we can show him the apartment we lived in, ect etc. This new enlightenment of the 720p is very intriguing on the Honeycombs status for me. Any recommendations of Android tablets (besides the Xoom). If you could throw in a general price on them that would be fantastic. I have 5 months before I'm going to purchase it, so if there isn't one released yet, then I'm curious as well.

-Atti

The new Android units are just starting to roll out.

My best recommendation is to follow this thread, and device informatoin links provided in posts, and the great information the many posters provide.

It appears Rich584, you, and I are all in about the same timelines for a buying decision, and exploring many of the same possibilities.

Regardless of anyone's choice (iPad, Android, or other), the first decision is what do you want it to do, and then pursue your best options along those lines. In terms of your question on Android tablet prices - there are tiers (based on internal memory), but you'll find them in the $449 -$579 range for the most part. Since they support SD card memory expansion for storage...you may not need the largest internal memory model.

#20 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

The new Android units are just starting to roll out.

My best recommendation is to follow this thread, and device informatoin links provided in posts, and the great information the many posters provide.

It appears Rich584, you, and I are all in about the same timelines for a buying decision, and exploring many of the same possibilities.

Regardless of anyone's choice (iPad, Android, or other), the first decision is what do you want it to do, and then pursue your best options along those lines. In terms of your question on Android tablet prices - there are tiers (based on internal memory), but you'll find them in the $449 -$579 range for the most part. Since they support SD card memory expansion for storage...you may not need the largest internal memory model.

I'm all about not spending as much as I have to if I can purchase a large sd card for super cheap :D

spam firewall