Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#2281 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

This refresh of the original Transformer received 4 out of 5 stars from PC Magazine. $399 for a 32gb quad-core.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2403304,00.asp

Wired was less complimentary than PC Mag. I can say that no Gorilla Glass would be a deal breaker for me.

http://www.wired.com...wering-the-bar/
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2282 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

No Gorilla Glass? meh. My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have it either.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#2283 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 705 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks Steve for the Link.

Just Registered and they said I would be notified when my GPS Kit was going to ship.

Is there a link I'm missing to order the kit? I recently registered my Prime (like a week ago) but didn't see anything as far as a link to get the GPS kit....where should I look?? :) Thanks!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#2284 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,359 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Go to this link and login.
http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us
Look down the left column until you see:
"TF201 GPS Extension Kit Apply&Inquire"
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#2285 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Go to this link and login.
http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us
Look down the left column until you see:
"TF201 GPS Extension Kit Apply&Inquire"

You will then see this Message:

"Thank you for purchasing the ASUS Eee Transformer Prime TF201, and helping to make it the most popular Android based tablet since its launch in December 2011. We greatly appreciate feedback from our valued customers about our products, and take it very seriously. The response to the TF201 generally has been overwhelmingly positive, but we understand that, in certain regions, the GPS functionality has not met some user’s expectations.

Free Dongle! At ASUS, we are committed to delivering innovative, high-quality products and services, and our customers’ experience is important to us. Although the TF201 is not a professional GPS device, as part of our unwavering commitment to our customers we are offering all customers who purchased a TF201 system a free external GPS extension kit, called a dongle, which may help improve signal reception and optimize the user experience. We are pleased to announce this offer as part of our commitment to customer service, but it does not replace, alter or amend any existing warranties you may have.We also encourage you to contact ASUS customer support in your local region directly if you are experiencing GPS related problems.

ASUS prides itself on delivering an unrivalled user experience, and we offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that our customers may have encountered.

The offer will expire on 31th of July, 2012 (PST)."
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#2286 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 705 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Many thanks! Got it ordered! :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#2287 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

My new toy came yesterday -- a Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tablet. For $50 more than a Kindle Fire, you get true Android Ice Cream Sandwich, front and rear cameras and a MicroSD slot that can expand memory by 32 GB. You also get an IR blaster that allows the tablet to act as a minimalist home theater remote, using included Peel software. Samsung offers a free year of 50 GB DropBox cloud software as well.
I haven't had too much opportunity to compare its performance to that of my 10.1 inch ViewSonic gTablet,, which has the OS modded from Froyo to a limited version of Honeycomb (GtabComb 3.1 beta) other than to note the obvious shortcomings of a smaller screen and the advantage of true Ice Cream Sandwich support.
It goes without saying that I like the lighter weight and compact size of the Galaxy 2 7.0. It does have a few warts when compared to some of the other 7 inch tablets -- less capable cameras, lower resolution and no HDMI output. As with other Android cameras, it lacks the capability to access Amazon videos.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#2288 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Based on these #'s, Google needs to get that rumored $199 quad-core Nexus 7" tablet out the door sooner, rather than later. As you can see from the chart, it looks like the Kindle Fire continued to pick up steam, even four months after its introduction. [more]

Also, the Nook tablets are conspicuous by their absence on that chart, IMHO.

Attached Thumbnails

• Market Share.jpg

/steve

#2289 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wow, 54.4% in just three short months. I wonder how many Kindle Fire owners even know they have an Android tablet?

#2290 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

I wonder how many Kindle Fire owners even know they have an Android tablet?

I doubt many users care. I suspect to most, it's considered an "appliance", not unlike the iPad (or iPod).

After seeing the success of the Fire, I'll bet Apple regrets not coming out with an iPad "mini". As a result, I'm pretty sure the rumors of Apple introducing a 7.85" screen iOS device this fall may be true. Even more reason for Google to get that 7" Nexus out there soon.
/steve

#2291 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I saw the Galaxy Note in use today, and it's absolutely gorgeous. It was fast, the screen was clear and sharp, and the form factor was incredibly convenient. It's perfect for e-Books, and well suited for web browsing and playing videos, and actually think the 7" "mini" tablets could ultimately become more popular than larger, more expensive full-size tablets.

#2292 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Based on these #'s, Google needs to get that rumored $199 quad-core Nexus 7" tablet out the door sooner, rather than later. As you can see from the chart, it looks like the Kindle Fire continued to pick up steam, even four months after its introduction. [more]

Also, the Nook tablets are conspicuous by their absence on that chart, IMHO.

I learned from reading this that Comscore excluded the Nook tablets from the survey, classifying them as eReaders, instead.
/steve

#2293 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I saw the Galaxy Note in use today, and it's absolutely gorgeous. It was fast, the screen was clear and sharp, and the form factor was incredibly convenient. It's perfect for e-Books, and well suited for web browsing and playing videos, and actually think the 7" "mini" tablets could ultimately become more popular than larger, more expensive full-size tablets.

Out of curiosity, do you really mean Galaxy Note? The Galaxy Note is a Smartphone, not a tablet. The 7 inch Samsung tablets are the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (the newest, least expensive), Galaxy Tab 7.0 and Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#2294 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Out of curiosity, do you really mean Galaxy Note? The Galaxy Note is a Smartphone, not a tablet. The 7 inch Samsung tablets are the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (the newest, least expensive), Galaxy Tab 7.0 and Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus.

It was an employee at Costco showing it to me at the returns desk. I was returning a Samsung Galaxy Tab and that's when she showed me her new toy. I do thin it was the Note, but you're right - it's not a tablet then. It was still pretty impressive though. :P

#2295 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

In their latest review updates, the Kindle Fire, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF300, Nook Tablet and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) all got 4 stars. The Fire was awarded an "Editor's Choice".

http://www.pcmag.com...android-tablets
/steve

#2296 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

15% to 30% better, depending on whether you're browsing, watching videos or gaming.

http://news.cnet.com...fe-says-report/
/steve

#2297 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

I learned from reading this that Comscore excluded the Nook tablets from the survey, classifying them as eReaders, instead.

Which is a bogus reason, imo.

And I've been reading that Nook has about 30% of the Android tablet market in a few other places. To exclude it from that one totally skews the result.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2298 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Which is a bogus reason, imo.

And I've been reading that Nook has about 30% of the Android tablet market in a few other places. To exclude it from that one totally skews the result.

Ya. I read yesterday that it was the 5th best-selling tablet in Q1-12, behind Apple, Samsung, Amazon and Lenovo, in that order.

http://www.forbes.co.../?feed=rss_home
/steve

#2299 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Not being an old timer in the tablet world, I was introduced to the Android app "Pulse" last week. I had it on one of my tablets, but didn't understand what it was since I hadn't configured it. Now I have it set up on both my tablets, with tabs for home, news, sports and technology. Really sweet! :icon_bb:

Charlie
--------------------

#2300 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not being an old timer in the tablet world, I was introduced to the Android app "Pulse" last week. I had it on one of my tablets, but didn't understand what it was since I hadn't configured it. Now I have it set up on both my tablets, with tabs for home, news, sports and technology. Really sweet! :icon_bb:

Well, don't keep us in Suspense, tell us what it does for you!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall