Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#2341 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,007 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have had a Nook Color for nearly two years (rooted and currently running Android Jellybean). I mainly bought it for reading and figured the tablet features were a nice extra, but I found the battery life too limiting for reading several hours a day and bought the cheapest Kindle (I considered the paperwhite model but the quoted wait at the time was nearly two months). If I hold the power button for several seconds it turns off without displaying the ads.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2342 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

I just bought a Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight reader as I just wanted something small to read books in bed. Nice little box, smaller and lighter by far than my original Nook.

As for book prices, well you can spend a lot on books if you want to, but you don't have to. I've been getting free books legally for my Nooks and iPad ever since I've had them. Many classics, plus new authors or established ones writing something in a new genre, and of course there is the Bain Free Library.

When I buy, I doubt that I've paid more than $3 for any book.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2343 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm surprised how expensive books are. Many times the paperback costs more than the digital copy. I was going to buy Walter Issacson's biography of Albert Einstein, a book I've wanted to read since it came out, and found out the paperback version was cheaper than the Kindle one. So I still haven't bought the book. Maybe I'll just get it from the library.

Posted Image

Check with your library and see if they rent or loan out ebooks. My local library has an extensive list of them, generally available as free 14 day loans. After 14 days, you have to reapply for the privilege of reading the book.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#2344 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Ad I don't know of they still require it,but HarperCollins announced last year that libraries would need to repurchase ebooks after they had been checked out 26 times.

#2345 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Check with your library and see if they rent or loan out ebooks. My local library has an extensive list of them, generally available as free 14 day loans. After 14 days, you have to reapply for the privilege of reading the book.

My library has a ton of ebooks on the Kindle format. Thanks for the tip from both yosoyellobo and you. They didn't have the Issacson biography of Einstein I was looking for as an ebook but a hardback copy is available. A hardback book...how quaint. ;)

I found it weird that they can only have a three copies of most ebooks checked out at a time. That must have something to do with the publishers. Is this normal?

I was right about reading the New York Times on the tablet in the morning. It was great today. I can see this becoming a habit. The Kindle subscription also gives me an online subscription so I don't have to monkey with various browsers on multiple computers to read the NYT, getting 10 free stories each.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2346 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

It doesn't have to be three, but they only have so many copies.

You won't find the Issacson book in ebook format at any library. His publisher is Simon and Schuster and they along with Penguin don't allow libraries access.

RandomHouse and HarperCollins (though with limits if HC still does that) do, but there's a potential merger with Penguin. Not sure which way it'd go with libraries. But then News Corp is in early talks to buy Simon and Schuster, to merge it with HarperCollins.

#2347 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Carl, I've been reading our local 'Charlotte Observer' in PDF form on the iPad for 2 years or so. Their digital subscription is $1 per month with the paper sub, which I cut to weekends.

Gives us enough paper to line the bird cage - we don't have a bird.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...