Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm all about not spending as much as I have to if I can purchase a large sd card for super cheap :D

Here's just one of hundreds of places to start your research on the units...

http://androidtabletreviewz.com/
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

If you simply want to "test drive" a tablet without spending a lot of money get a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and turn it into a nice fully functional Android (2.2) tablet with little effort. It's much more than I need as I really have no use for a tablet other than as a "gadget" but for $249 (I got mine for $140 with a bunch of Groupon coupons a while back) and 20 minutes to "root" it it works just as well as the $500+ Galaxy Tab albeit without GPS. I tether it to my iPhone for a 3G connection if needed.

#23 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

If you simply want to "test drive" a tablet without spending a lot of money get a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and turn it into a nice fully functional Android (2.2) tablet with little effort. It's much more than I need as I really have no use for a tablet other than as a "gadget" but for $249 (I got mine for $140 with a bunch of Groupon coupons a while back) and 20 minutes to "root" it it works just as well as the $500+ Galaxy Tab albeit without GPS. I tether it to my iPhone for a 3G connection if needed.

I'm assuming by "root" you're wiping the internal hdd and install an Android OS on it or is it a dual boot?

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

I'm assuming by "root" you're wiping the internal hdd and install an Android OS on it or is it a dual boot?

It's important to note that the curent rollout of tablets feature the Andriod v3.0 (nicknamed honeycomb) operating system, whereas most others on the market before now (other than Xoom, which is also v3.0) had v2.2 on them.

Here's are 3 quick looks at what v3.0 brings to the table:

http://www.pcworld.c..._to_expect.html

http://blog.clove.co...tplace-website/

http://blog.gsmarena...enshots-galore/

#25 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,968 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Would you be able to give us some info on the "rooting" process? Or a link to that process? And explain the value of doing that? Thanx.

Rich

You can find rooting and other upgrade information for the Viewsonic G at http://forum.android...sonic-g-tablet/. That site has lots of good info for many different tablets (there are other good sites as well). There have been some pretty good deals (<$300) on that tablet recently.

Rooting (i.e., becoming the root or "superuser", terms common to the Linux OS) allows you to tinker with the filesystem and do things that you may not accomplish otherwise.

I have a Nook Color, which is a pretty good ebook reader with a couple of added features (the next upgrade should add a bunch more). By rooting, I was able to add the Android Market with a very large number of applications and turn it into a usable tablet computer.

You can also run advanced software versions and apps from a micro-SD card without having to root the device itself. I have Cyanogen Mod 7 (based on Android 2.3) running that way (dual boot) and have also tried Honeycomb (Android 3.0). Both of these are oriented more toward tablets instead of smart phones.

#26 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Would you be able to give us some info on the "rooting" process? Or a link to that process? And explain the value of doing that? Thanx.

Rich

You can find rooting and other upgrade information for the Viewsonic G at http://forum.android...sonic-g-tablet/. That site has lots of good info for many different tablets (there are other good sites as well). There have been some pretty good deals (<$300) on that tablet recently.

Rooting (i.e., becoming the root or "superuser", terms common to the Linux OS) allows you to tinker with the filesystem and do things that you may not accomplish otherwise.

I have a Nook Color, which is a pretty good ebook reader with a couple of added features (the next upgrade should add a bunch more). By rooting, I was able to add the Android Market with a very large number of applications and turn it into a usable tablet computer.

You can also run advanced software versions and apps from a micro-SD card without having to root the device itself. I have Cyanogen Mod 7 (based on Android 2.3) running that way (dual boot) and have also tried Honeycomb (Android 3.0). Both of these are oriented more toward tablets instead of smart phones.

bobnielsen has given you great info, the site I usually go to is XDA. Gtab on XDA here They have IMO a little more info then Android Central but both equal quality.

I have rooted my Evo about 7 months ago so I had a little knowledge of what I needed to and compaired to most devices the Gtab is SIMPLE to root.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

I might get flamed for this, so I apologize up-front, but I couldn't imagine buying any tablet other then an iPad.

Maybe it's my Blackberry mentality, where for the last several years, almost everyday there's something cooler on other people's devices ... Now I'm finally part of the majority / cool club, finally. :)

And everyone wants one (iPad). Been trying to get an iPad2, and the words from every location (Apple store, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target), ...) is that the iPad2 is the most requested item, and sells out minutes after arrival.

I'll probably end up with one, just before they come out with the iPad3. This will never end.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

Maybe a better choice of words would have been that it's nice to mostly never again need to worry about whether an App is available on my device, like the DirecTV App, but I probably have dozens of other examples (at least for me). Just like TV, content is king.

Agreed. That's the only reason I took the Xoom back. My Droid phone has so many more apps than the Xoom. I do understand the reason for that. Still doesn't satisfy me.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

I'm with you on that.

I'm certainly doing my homework on tablets before investing $500+ on one of them. I commend Rich584 for doing the same.

The most important criteria - it comes down to "What am I going to use if for most of the time, and what does it need to be able to do at any time?". As for Apps...if there are 1 million or 10,000...those numbers mean little, as long as all the key applications are available for what people use these devices for - the rest is mostly fluff stuff most will never use. Every iPad user I've seen in person has <100 apps installed.

I see this device as an opportunity to 1) View HD video (that eliminates the current iPads - but iPad 3 might be in play), 2) on some trips substitute for my laptop (it needs to view and interact with MS Office Powerpoint, Word, and Excel files, 3) it needs to (obviously) browse the web (Flash support is needed for many of the sites I frequent - also not supported by the current iOS tablets), 4) be able to print via bluetooth or USB connectivity directly from applications, 5) be able to store large files for access to #1 and #2 item files above, and 6) support network connectivity and security, including VPN access.

Everyone will have their own needs, but based on those - the newest Android tablets and perhaps iPad3 will be the focus and lead candidates. Right now, the Android 3.0 Honeycomb units seem to meet all these needs.

Since they are just starting to roll out one brand at a time...and iPad3 is likely 6 months or more away...Android units will get my attention to research in the next 90 days or so.

Um, the Xoom has the 3.0 Honeycomb, I believe. And a paucity of apps...just checked and it does have the Honeycomb.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Agreed. That's the only reason I took the Xoom back. My Droid phone has so many more apps than the Xoom. I do understand the reason for that. Still doesn't satisfy me.

Rich

As Android ramps up, the app number disparity will become much less of an issue in the same way it has on the phone.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm very interested in this thread because sometime in the coming months I'll be purchasing one of these 'things of beauty'. Anything with the Android OS is peaking my interest, but working with Apple products, in a work enviroment and for play, for 5 years is causing me to lean towards the iPad/iPad 2. The camera's are something that could be a make or break for me depending on how the PQ is. I take pictures of my son a lot throughout the day on my Android Comet and they turn out fairly nice depending on the lighting. The games are a lot of fun, and since my pc is connected to my only HD TV, it would be nice to have something other than my phone to surf the web and check my email on while my wife is melting faces on Bulletstorm :lol: What are the prices on the iPad/iPad2 now?

-Atti

If you're anything like most of us, you won't be satisfied with an iPad1. Not with the iPad2 staring you in the face.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Only the Android tablets have HD (720p) resolution screens - iPads don't. The iPad3 is rumored to have their Retina screen, which would improve upon HD playback.

As for the Camera - the Androids have that covered well too.

Small screen, 720p is not bad. I watched some content on NetFlix on the iPad2 I had and it was more than acceptable. My Droid X has a very impressive camera.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Um, the Xoom has the 3.0 Honeycomb, I believe. And a paucity of apps...just checked and it does have the Honeycomb.

Rich

Yes - I reference that in Post #24.

Its the first of a multitude of new Android tablets.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

The new Android units are just starting to roll out.

My best recommendation is to follow this thread, and device informatoin links provided in posts, and the great information the many posters provide.

It appears Rich584, you, and I are all in about the same timelines for a buying decision, and exploring many of the same possibilities.

Regardless of anyone's choice (iPad, Android, or other), the first decision is what do you want it to do, and then pursue your best options along those lines. In terms of your question on Android tablet prices - there are tiers (based on internal memory), but you'll find them in the $449 -$579 range for the most part. Since they support SD card memory expansion for storage...you may not need the largest internal memory model.

I gotta try that Acer for $450. If the Xoom would have cost $450, I'd still have it.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

I gotta try that Acer for $450. If the Xoom would have cost $450, I'd still have it.

Rich

The Acer does look nice...and the 2 reviews I've seen point out the nice form factor in the hands (and slightly lighter than the Xoom).

With Best Buy selling them, and the $450 pricetag...it would seem to be a formidable player.

#36 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

Amazon now has the Samsung Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi version for $349.00.

http://www.amazon.co...om&linkCode=as1

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

Amazon now has the Samsung Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi version for $349.00.

http://www.amazon.co...om&linkCode=as1

I had one in my hands the other day in BB in Bridgewater. I gotta go up there and see how the browser window looks. When I use Google on my Droid, I gotta constantly stretch the picture and read parts of pages. I kinda like the size of the Galaxy. I gotta try one out.

Does that rooting process involve anything physical. Like taking the thing apart? Can you reverse the process? What actual advantages do you see when you root the tablet?

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

PC World ran a story yesterday Five Tablet Computer Myths, Busted Open which basically reports from a survey of tablet owners:
  • A whopping 82 percent use tablets primarily in the home;
  • Only half of tablet purchasers use them for music and video entertainment as they are mostly used at home where there is a large TV option except, of course, they count YouTube snippets and the like;
  • While people browse the web on a tablet, the use is different from that of a desktop PC as the use is primarily for searching for information;
  • A whopping 84 percent of use their tablet to play games;
  • Only 23 percent have not decreased their desktop/laptop usage after getting a tablet.

This was not posted from my iPad.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#39 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Anyone catch the HDNet World Report about Apple devices causing all the employee illnesses in China where they manufacturer them using some pretty caustic stuff? Made Apple look pretty bad.....course I'm sure Apple's not the only company guilty of all the bad stuff that gets done in that type of manufacturing....

#40 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Was just informed by a buddy of mine, Verizon has the Galaxy on sale for $199.

EDIT: Also, did anyone else see anything in Teigra 2 (sp?) with NVIDIA? Saw a video of them playing a FPS on it and it looked better than some of the computers I owned :grin:

Edited by AttiTech, 16 April 2011 - 05:21 PM.
Because I'm Forgetful

spam firewall