Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Would you be able to give us some info on the "rooting" process? Or a link to that process? And explain the value of doing that? Thanx.

Rich

Rooting means to give yourself superuser permission. Essentially when you get your device there are things you're not allowed to do. You're locked out of making certain changes so you can't do something that makes your device inoperable or remove something they don't want you to. Rooting allows you to do anything you want to a degree. You can't remove embedded programs or things like that. It gives you the option though of install custom ROMS.

Now what I think the OP was really getting to is once you root your device you can install a custom ROM. This is where the true power of Android OS comes out. ROMS are customer versions of Android OS and are usually much better than versions you will get from a manufacturer. They are always the latest version and usually are bloatware free.

However the one thing is this thread is talking about new tablets and all new tablets will be launching with Honeycombe so it's not as beneficial, at the moment, to root and rom your phone. There are very little ROMS out there right now. Rooting still allows you to run some apps that are nice like garbage clean up apps, overclocking, file explorers, ad removers, and other misc apps.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

PC World ran a story yesterday Five Tablet Computer Myths, Busted Open which basically reports from a survey of tablet owners:

• A whopping 82 percent use tablets primarily in the home;
  • Only half of tablet purchasers use them for music and video entertainment as they are mostly used at home where there is a large TV option except, of course, they count YouTube snippets and the like;
  • While people browse the web on a tablet, the use is different from that of a desktop PC as the use is primarily for searching for information;
  • A whopping 84 percent of use their tablet to play games;
  • Only 23 percent have not decreased their desktop/laptop usage after getting a tablet.

This was not posted from my iPad.;)

Those are interesting stats to be sure.

Then again...the tablet era has only just begun, so much of that behavior is likely a result of what can/cannot be done with tablets to date.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#43 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

I actually got to try an iPad out for size today. Went on my lunch break to visit a friend at StarTech and they had the iPad/iPad2's on display for customers to play with.....Wasn't that impressed really. Was hoping to be blown away, or atleast have the feelings the guys did in the high speed Penzoil commercial with their hair "blowing in the wind"
Alas, no magic, no sparkle, just dead weight and not very rounded edges.

#44 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

[*]A whopping 82 percent use tablets primarily in the home;

[*]Only half of tablet purchasers use them for music and video entertainment as they are mostly used at home where there is a large TV option except, of course, they count YouTube snippets and the like;

[*]While people browse the web on a tablet, the use is different from that of a desktop PC as the use is primarily for searching for information;

[*]A whopping 84 percent of use their tablet to play games;

[*]Only 23 percent have not decreased their desktop/laptop usage after getting a tablet.
[/list]

I can admit to a few of these stats. If not all. But I would say (personally) I have used my laptop/desktop less (at home) but no significant, but noticeably. I have an app (thumb keyboard) on my gtab that helps with typing, but if I had a standard keyboard on it, I would not use it as often. It can be impossible to type with a landscape type keyboard. I need my thumb keyboard.

I do a lot of browsing on the tab. I do some (maybe 30%) gaming on my tab and hope that gets higher! Music, slim to none. Evo smartphone for music, a lot more!
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#45 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

If I still work, I would have one. It would have replace my PDA. But being retired I can't figure out a use for it. Maybe if it had an automatic baseball scoring app that would track a MLB game I was at, I would look into getting one, but that app and those features don't exist yet.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#46 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:40 AM

If I still work, I would have one. It would have replace my PDA. But being retired I can't figure out a use for it. Maybe if it had an automatic baseball scoring app that would track a MLB game I was at, I would look into getting one, but that app and those features don't exist yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

PC World ran a story yesterday Five Tablet Computer Myths, Busted Open which basically reports from a survey of tablet owners:

• A whopping 82 percent use tablets primarily in the home;
  • Only half of tablet purchasers use them for music and video entertainment as they are mostly used at home where there is a large TV option except, of course, they count YouTube snippets and the like;
  • While people browse the web on a tablet, the use is different from that of a desktop PC as the use is primarily for searching for information;
  • A whopping 84 percent of use their tablet to play games;
  • Only 23 percent have not decreased their desktop/laptop usage after getting a tablet.

I know I don't want to use a tablet for music or video. Got enough devices for that. Don't want to pay for another data plan, so I'd only use it in the house. I do use my smart phone only for info that I want quickly. Don't play games. Can't imagine not using my desktops and laptops because I buy a tablet.

Matter of fact, I'm still kinda searching for a reason to buy a tablet. Money's not an issue, altho I don't like not being able to buy what I want when I want it (talking about the iPad2 here). Waiting three to six weeks for something that should be almost instantly available at those prices is ridiculous. Couldn't even bribe an Apple Store employee to hold one for me. Now we find that BB is hoarding them.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

Love the App. Just love it.

You can watch all the highlights of a game in 10 minutes, and the highlights appear during the game if you missed anything.

Also found a new use for MLB At Bat this week, took a picture of the screen during a game to show the eBay buyer of my iPad1 that it was real and in mint condition before he paid. :)

Off to Best Buy in a little while, to try and benefit from the Sunday iPad2 promotion, probably low odds but gonna try anyway ...

Best Buy and Toys R' Us Selling iPads on Sunday:

http://www.macrumors...pads-on-sunday/

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Anyone catch the HDNet World Report about Apple devices causing all the employee illnesses in China where they manufacturer them using some pretty caustic stuff? Made Apple look pretty bad.....course I'm sure Apple's not the only company guilty of all the bad stuff that gets done in that type of manufacturing....

Better to blame China's lack of safety procedures in manufacturing than to blame Apple. There's a reason we send all our manufacturing to other countries. It's too expensive to make them here under the strictures of the various agencies that police manufacturing. I know we followed the rules and regs of the countries we set up plants in until Bhopal. After that we followed our regs no matter where the plant was. NAFTA wasn't really about "jobs", it was about making products at a lower cost because no other country has more restrictive manufacturing policies in this hemisphere than we do.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Rooting means to give yourself superuser permission. Essentially when you get your device there are things you're not allowed to do. You're locked out of making certain changes so you can't do something that makes your device inoperable or remove something they don't want you to. Rooting allows you to do anything you want to a degree. You can't remove embedded programs or things like that. It gives you the option though of install custom ROMS.

Now what I think the OP was really getting to is once you root your device you can install a custom ROM. This is where the true power of Android OS comes out. ROMS are customer versions of Android OS and are usually much better than versions you will get from a manufacturer. They are always the latest version and usually are bloatware free.

However the one thing is this thread is talking about new tablets and all new tablets will be launching with Honeycombe so it's not as beneficial, at the moment, to root and rom your phone. There are very little ROMS out there right now. Rooting still allows you to run some apps that are nice like garbage clean up apps, overclocking, file explorers, ad removers, and other misc apps.

Thanx,

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

... Waiting three to six weeks for something that should be almost instantly available at those prices is ridiculous. Couldn't even bribe an Apple Store employee to hold one for me. Now we find that BB is hoarding them.

Rich

Yep, I really thought that after I sold my iPad1 last week, that I'd find a way to pickup an iPad2 the next day. It's been a month since availability, and I was ready to drive anywhere within 50 miles.

I started the day fully confident. :)

I tried, really tried, called every Apple Store, and checked with Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, and the local AT&T stores.

What shocked me wasn't that they didn't have my specific model (of the 18 models), it was that almost every location had zero, ZERO models in stock.

I did find one store with the 64GB Verizon While model but I passed.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#52 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Lesson for the day ... Don't believe what you read on the internet. :)

Went to Best Buy.

Despite the postings on the internet, and today's flyer in the paper, about today's big launch.

They had no idea what I was referring to, no iPad2s in stock, and didn't know when the next batch would come in.

Did decide to do the reserve thing, just in case, and there was a long line of others doing the same.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Lesson for the day ... Don't believe what you read on the internet. :)

Went to Best Buy.

Despite the postings on the internet, and today's flyer in the paper, about today's big launch.

They had no idea what I was referring to, no iPad2s in stock, and didn't know when the next batch would come in.

Did decide to do the reserve thing, just in case, and there was a long line of others doing the same.

That's the challenge of doing a marketing piece well in advance of inventory shipments. It happens lots of places unfortunately. On the other hand...iPad2s have been sparce in general. That likely comes as no surprise. ;):D

I suspect inventories of the new line of Android v3.0-based tablets will be in and out of stock quickly as well, based on demand.

#54 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Think I'm going to be purchasing the Xoom WiFi

#55 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have been looking at the Zoom WiFi and I am seeing the same price $589 at any place I look. Some savings, only $10 off retail for the big launch.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#56 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I have been looking at the Zoom WiFi and I am seeing the same price $589 at any place I look. Some savings, only $10 off retail for the big launch.

Yeah, I mean it's not a terrible price, but after playing with the iPad and looking at a side by side review, I think the Xoom just destroy's the iPad. It is a little heavier, but since I'm buying the WiFi version, then obviously I'm not going to be taking it around town often, if ever.

#57 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Well that was quick. They almost got everything covered.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 April 2011 - 01:33 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Think I'm going to be purchasing the Xoom WiFi

Yeah, I mean it's not a terrible price, but after playing with the iPad and looking at a side by side review, I think the Xoom just destroy's the iPad. It is a little heavier, but since I'm buying the WiFi version, then obviously I'm not going to be taking it around town often, if ever.

The Xoom was impressive at CES in January.

That said...some of its recent announced cousins (Toshiba, Acer, and others) seem to have exactly the same composition/connectivity/horsepower, but at a lower price.

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Wait a little while or try one where you can easily return it. BB will give you 14 days to play with it and so will Staples. I liked the one I got at Staples, but I got a feeling that one of the newer ones is gonna be better. I satisfied my curiosity and then took the Xoom back. Not enough apps yet. YET. I'm pretty sure they will add more quickly. Meanwhile, the Acer is gonna come out and cost $450. If it works the same as the Xoom...

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Exactly, Rich... I waited on a new droid phone until I got a deal on BB.com on Black Friday. Got a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate for nothing, and am loving the heck out of it.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...