Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

... Waiting three to six weeks for something that should be almost instantly available at those prices is ridiculous. Couldn't even bribe an Apple Store employee to hold one for me. Now we find that BB is hoarding them.

Rich

Yep, I really thought that after I sold my iPad1 last week, that I'd find a way to pickup an iPad2 the next day. It's been a month since availability, and I was ready to drive anywhere within 50 miles.

I started the day fully confident. :)

I tried, really tried, called every Apple Store, and checked with Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, and the local AT&T stores.

What shocked me wasn't that they didn't have my specific model (of the 18 models), it was that almost every location had zero, ZERO models in stock.

I did find one store with the 64GB Verizon While model but I passed.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Lesson for the day ... Don't believe what you read on the internet. :)

Went to Best Buy.

Despite the postings on the internet, and today's flyer in the paper, about today's big launch.

They had no idea what I was referring to, no iPad2s in stock, and didn't know when the next batch would come in.

Did decide to do the reserve thing, just in case, and there was a long line of others doing the same.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Lesson for the day ... Don't believe what you read on the internet. :)

Went to Best Buy.

Despite the postings on the internet, and today's flyer in the paper, about today's big launch.

They had no idea what I was referring to, no iPad2s in stock, and didn't know when the next batch would come in.

Did decide to do the reserve thing, just in case, and there was a long line of others doing the same.

That's the challenge of doing a marketing piece well in advance of inventory shipments. It happens lots of places unfortunately. On the other hand...iPad2s have been sparce in general. That likely comes as no surprise. ;):D

I suspect inventories of the new line of Android v3.0-based tablets will be in and out of stock quickly as well, based on demand.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Think I'm going to be purchasing the Xoom WiFi

#55 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have been looking at the Zoom WiFi and I am seeing the same price $589 at any place I look. Some savings, only $10 off retail for the big launch.
Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700
All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#56 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I have been looking at the Zoom WiFi and I am seeing the same price $589 at any place I look. Some savings, only $10 off retail for the big launch.

Yeah, I mean it's not a terrible price, but after playing with the iPad and looking at a side by side review, I think the Xoom just destroy's the iPad. It is a little heavier, but since I'm buying the WiFi version, then obviously I'm not going to be taking it around town often, if ever.

#57 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,507 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

If I still work, I would have one. It would have replace my PDA. But being retired I can't figure out a use for it. Maybe if it had an automatic baseball scoring app that would track a MLB game I was at, I would look into getting one, but that app and those features don't exist yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/

Well that was quick. They almost got everything covered.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 April 2011 - 01:33 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Think I'm going to be purchasing the Xoom WiFi

Yeah, I mean it's not a terrible price, but after playing with the iPad and looking at a side by side review, I think the Xoom just destroy's the iPad. It is a little heavier, but since I'm buying the WiFi version, then obviously I'm not going to be taking it around town often, if ever.

The Xoom was impressive at CES in January.

That said...some of its recent announced cousins (Toshiba, Acer, and others) seem to have exactly the same composition/connectivity/horsepower, but at a lower price.

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,654 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Wait a little while or try one where you can easily return it. BB will give you 14 days to play with it and so will Staples. I liked the one I got at Staples, but I got a feeling that one of the newer ones is gonna be better. I satisfied my curiosity and then took the Xoom back. Not enough apps yet. YET. I'm pretty sure they will add more quickly. Meanwhile, the Acer is gonna come out and cost $450. If it works the same as the Xoom...

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Exactly, Rich... I waited on a new droid phone until I got a deal on BB.com on Black Friday. Got a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate for nothing, and am loving the heck out of it.
Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700
All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#61 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

I went with a 16gig iPad, debated on doing a 3g verision but couldn't justify the cost (in my head). It arrived Thursday and so far I have enjoyed it. I hope to start using it with work and carrying less paper and POS around when I make calls but instead have just about everything on the iPad. Overall my impressions are very good, I did add a few apps and I must admit there are some good business apps on the iPad that work with Microsoft documents. I added Slingplayer for iPad and gotta say it's a lot better than the iPhone/iPod touch version, the clarity is really good. My next app will be one so I can print from the iPad, trying out a few of the free ones to figure out which one works with my various printer set ups.

#62 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

I did a comparison of the Galaxy S vs the Xoom but it seems like the Xoom has more features, but the only thing the Galaxy S has is weight. I have till September and I'm figuring to spend about $700 or so to get the tablet and a gel case for it. The others I haven't heard much information at all on it, but I know I want whatever tablet I buy to be ran with Honeycomb and Tegra.

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

I did a comparison of the Galaxy S vs the Xoom but it seems like the Xoom has more features, but the only thing the Galaxy S has is weight. I have till September and I'm figuring to spend about $700 or so to get the tablet and a gel case for it. The others I haven't heard much information at all on it, but I know I want whatever tablet I buy to be ran with Honeycomb and Tegra.

Plenty of time to do more evaluation...some others are in the same boat of taking their time to make the right choices the first time.

It is likely you may also have some $$$ left in your pocket with some patience. ;)

#64 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,507 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Just got a Staples email flyer and it's pushing the Blackberry Playbook that just been release.

You need a score book to keep track of what's out, what's coming out and what's plan for the near future.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#65 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

Plenty of time to do more evaluation...some others are in the same boat of taking their time to make the right choices the first time.

It is likely you may also have some $$$ left in your pocket with some patience. ;)

There in lies the problem. I'm EXTREMELY impatient when it comes to new toys :lol: Even though this toy is for my wifes birthday...

#66 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Just got a Staples email flyer and it's pushing the Blackberry Playbook that just been release.

You need a score book to keep track of what's out, what's coming out and what's plan for the near future.

Yup. Saw that too.

I've been following that unit for a bit. I think it'll have some "phase 2" enhancements perhaps 4-6 months later that will make it an apple-to-apples competitor (not day one). The reviews have been very good.

#67 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Yup. Saw that too.

I've been following that unit for a bit. I think it'll have some "phase 2" enhancements perhaps 4-6 months later that will make it an apple-to-apples competitor (not day one). The reviews have been very good.

I don't know how I feel about the Blackberry tablet. I've never read a review and only seen a glimpse of one in a picture, but still feel reluctant to even give it a fair chance. Not sure what in my subconcious is telling me not to since I love Blackberry phones....Maybe it's because secretly I love my Android phone more.

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

I don't know how I feel about the Blackberry tablet. I've never read a review and only seen a glimpse of one in a picture, but still feel reluctant to even give it a fair chance. Not sure what in my subconscious is telling me not to since I love Blackberry phones....Maybe it's because secretly I love my Android phone more.

There are some drawbacks day one - such as the need to tether Internet connections - that will be changed a few months later.

I've read one deeper review that ranked it higher than both the Android and iPad tablets...but I suspect the jury will be out on them until late this year at the soonest.

It's just nice to see more competition in this space, along with additional capabilities that many of us are seeking.

#69 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

There are some drawbacks day one - such as the need to tether Internet connections - that will be changed a few months later.

I've read one deeper review that ranked it higher than both the Android and iPad tablets...but I suspect the jury will be out on them until late this year at the soonest.

It's just nice to see more competition in this space, along with additional capabilities that many of us are seeking.

I'm very happy to see so much competition here with the tablets. I enjoy making difficult decisions on multiple techy products. As long as the graphics are great, it's fast, the tilt sensor isn't terrible, and it's Android powered then I can base my decision from there on Maximum storage capacity, output/input options, weight, and screen size :D

#70 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'm very happy to see so much competition here with the tablets. I enjoy making difficult decisions on multiple techy products. As long as the graphics are great, it's fast, the tilt sensor isn't terrible, and it's Android powered then I can base my decision from there on Maximum storage capacity, output/input options, weight, and screen size :D

Based on what I see out there...it appears we'll know alot more in the next 1-2 months on the Android releases.

#71 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Based on what I see out there...it appears we'll know alot more in the next 1-2 months on the Android releases.

I have 5 months until I need to make a final decision. Sept 24th, sons birthday, Sept 30th...wife's. I'm not the best with timing :lol: BUT, atleast I'll know which one I'll like, which is what I know she'll like. I've indirectly dropped information on tablets to her when I find out details and gauge her reaction :D

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,654 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Exactly, Rich... I waited on a new droid phone until I got a deal on BB.com on Black Friday. Got a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate for nothing, and am loving the heck out of it.

I got the Droid X for about the same price. :)

It's a great phone. I do use it for info if I'm not near a computer, but I'd really rather use a computer. As big as the screen is, it's really to small for me.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,654 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

I've been pondering the Android tablets. If they all use the same OS, have the same size screen, have the same speed and access to the same apps, aren't they gonna be kinda the same? Then it comes down to price, if that's true, and we're already seeing the prices drop. I'd like to try the Acer out and see if there's really any significant difference between the Acer and the Xoom besides the price.

I've been putting off buying a 60" plasma because of the prices. I want a 3D set, only because the 2D picture is so good. But I hate the idea of spending 3 grand for one and seeing the price drop in half a few months after I buy it. That's the same reason I haven't gotten a tablet yet, that and the fact that I still don't see a need for one. I don't have to work and I realize that takes some of the advantages of using one away.

And yet, my heart fills with lust every time I read about a new tablet being introduced.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Rich, I guess you are close to me if you mentioned the Bridgewater BB which is the one I use.

Moving on, can someone explain to me what these tablets do better than a laptop or Desktop computer?

Keep in mind I don't use cellular phones or carry a camera.

Between the time I leave for work or leave work for home I'm six or seven minutes from a computer max. I don't game beyond Solitaire. I'm not interested in watching TV except on a TV at home or work.

I had a customer that has an Iphone & Ipad2 try to explain how either would benefit me, No luck there.

I'm not technophobic, I have two laptops both running Win7 Home & Pro, a Nice desktop i7 powered running Win7Pro.

I am a believer in the proper tool, I use one laptop for Bill paying, Online Banking, Income Tax, Newegg & Amazon. No Browsing the WWW, no Email. Get on it do my thing shut it down for another week or two. Second laptop just finished loading Win7Pro and will transition to it for the above purposes and keep the other one as a spare.

Everything else is done on the desktop computer.

Thanks
RT
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,654 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Rich, I guess you are close to me if you mentioned the Bridgewater BB which is the one I use.

Moving on, can someone explain to me what these tablets do better than a laptop or Desktop computer?

Keep in mind I don't use cellular phones or carry a camera.

Between the time I leave for work or leave work for home I'm six or seven minutes from a computer max. I don't game beyond Solitaire. I'm not interested in watching TV except on a TV at home or work.

I had a customer that has an Iphone & Ipad2 try to explain how either would benefit me, No luck there.

I'm not technophobic, I have two laptops both running Win7 Home & Pro, a Nice desktop i7 powered running Win7Pro.

I am a believer in the proper tool, I use one laptop for Bill paying, Online Banking, Income Tax, Newegg & Amazon. No Browsing the WWW, no Email. Get on it do my thing shut it down for another week or two. Second laptop just finished loading Win7Pro and will transition to it for the above purposes and keep the other one as a spare.

Everything else is done on the desktop computer.

Thanks
RT

I'm having the same problem justifying one. But when my heart fills with lust for something, I just can't help myself. I'll end with one and use it to solve crossword puzzles and wonder why I bought it..... :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...