Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Like THIS ONE?

Or This One?

<In a Hertz voice> Not exactly.... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Like THIS ONE? ...

Wow, man, that guy was brutal.

He was somewhat misleading, it does do e-mail but you need a Blackberry. He does slip that in at the end, but it's not like RIM totally forgot about e-mail, which he makes it sound like at the beginning.

Really brutal, it's a tough world out there.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#83 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Was just informed by a buddy of mine, Verizon has the Galaxy on sale for $199.

Is that with contract? Without contract it's a steal. With contract fugetaboutit.

#84 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Is that with contract? Without contract it's a steal. With contract fugetaboutit.

I think he said without, but I can't be 100% sure.

#85 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

I think he said without, but I can't be 100% sure.

Without contract I'd buy 12 and sell them on eBay for $300+ ea in a minute. Gotta check that out tomorrow. Doesn't sound right but neither did Verizon selling iPad 1's for cheap but they did.

#86 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

I've been putting off buying a 60" plasma because of the prices. I want a 3D set, only because the 2D picture is so good. But I hate the idea of spending 3 grand for one and seeing the price drop in half a few months after I buy it.

A little off topic but I was the same way. Spending close to $3000 for a 3DTV was something I didn't want to do yet. I also did some soul searching and realized that any 3D that is worthwhile must be large. Small 3DTV (even at 55") is actually too small. So I leapfrogged over all the current 3DTV's and went directly to 3D projection system. For about $1000, you can get a 3D projector and adapter (like Optoma's 3DXL). It's absolutely amazing and much more immersive than trying to watch 3D on a smaller set.

#87 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Wow, man, that guy was brutal.

He was somewhat misleading, it does do e-mail but you need a Blackberry. He does slip that in at the end, but it's not like RIM totally forgot about e-mail, which he makes it sound like at the beginning.

Really brutal, it's a tough world out there.

Honestly, yes. They forgot about email totally. This product is rushed as hell. How can you skip having a stock, onboard email client ON A BLACKBERRY DEVICE??

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#88 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

Honestly, yes. They forgot about email totally. This product is rushed as hell. How can you skip having a stock, onboard email client ON A BLACKBERRY DEVICE??

They forgot nothing (planned for it all along its what they do better than almost anybody). What they did is released the product 3 months too soon.

Shame on them for that.

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

Like THIS ONE?

Or This One?

That's pretty much what I've been reading too. My heart is NOT filled with lust for one of these.

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

There are a few other folks I've spoken with who feel the same way. Almost all other tablets have internal (non-replaceable by the user) batteries...except for the new Toshiba Android device.

Here's what I think of battery driven devices in a nut shell: Who the hell would buy a device that they might keep for years if you can't change the batteries? I asked an Apple Store person about the batteries and his answer was that they can be sent to...someone, somewhere who replaces the batteries if they go south. So, if you're absolutely wrapped up in your iPadx and the battery fails, you send it out and get it back...when? Nobody in the Apple Store knew.

Much as I dislike anything Toshiba (I felt that way about Panasonic, too. And about Samsung. I've now got a lot of Panny products and Sammy products.), they seem to be the only one making sense when it comes to this very important feature. Let me state this clearly: Batteries fail over time and usage. They are usually the weakest link in any device. Wouldn't you think all the tablet makers would have easily removable, easily replaceable batteries in their devices?

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Rich

Yup, it isn't the cost. The problem is justifying one. So far I know of no compelling reason to buy. OTOH I am thinking of popping out to BB this week for another NAS. I'm running out of room on the network. That I can easily justify.

Hmmm... hard to replace battery, reminds me of Ipods.

Cheers
RT

I know a VP of a very large company. He uses his iPad2 every day...to answer emails. True story. And he makes a point of carrying it everywhere he goes. Must get very important emails.....:lol:

Believe me, I'm willing to have my mind changed. I still haven't seen anything that interests me that I can't do on my smart-phone.

My son doesn't want a tablet. My son, who practically slept all night in front of a BB to get a WII sees no use for a tablet. My son, who has spent a fortune (of our money) on game platforms, laptops, desktops, iPods, etc. turned down the Xoom when I offered it to him before I returned it.

I'm willing to listen and try to understand what advantages the tablets have and my heart is still filled with lust for one. I'm sure I'll end up with one, but I'd sure like to understand what I'm gonna do with it.

Rich

#92 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

Here's what I think of battery driven devices in a nut shell: Who the hell would buy a device that they might keep for years if you can't change the batteries? I asked an Apple Store person about the batteries and his answer was that they can be sent to...someone, somewhere who replaces the batteries if they go south. So, if you're absolutely wrapped up in your iPadx and the battery fails, you send it out and get it back...when? Nobody in the Apple Store knew.

Much as I dislike anything Toshiba (I felt that way about Panasonic, too. And about Samsung. I've now got a lot of Panny products and Sammy products.), they seem to be the only one making sense when it comes to this very important feature. Let me state this clearly: Batteries fail over time and usage. They are usually the weakest link in any device. Wouldn't you think all the tablet makers would have easily removable, easily replaceable batteries in their devices?

Rich

Though speakest the truth. ;)

I'm with ya on that.

Internal battery replacements can be a major pain. Ask anyone with an iPod who had that situation. With a Toshiba tablet replacement battery only $89 and 15 seconds to swap it out...I honestly don't understand what the tablet makers are thinking with non-replaceable batteries (or factory-only).

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

A little off topic but I was the same way. Spending close to $3000 for a 3DTV was something I didn't want to do yet. I also did some soul searching and realized that any 3D that is worthwhile must be large. Small 3DTV (even at 55") is actually too small. So I leapfrogged over all the current 3DTV's and went directly to 3D projection system. For about $1000, you can get a 3D projector and adapter (like Optoma's 3DXL). It's absolutely amazing and much more immersive than trying to watch 3D on a smaller set.

My wife is in the process of remodeling our home. She has asked me several times if I wanted to use the huge room we now use as a combination dining room and living room as a theater room. I hope she doesn't see this post, especially coming from you. :)

The one thing I don't want is a projector that has to be ceiling mounted. Access to the attic over that room is very limited. The other thing that bothers me is glasses over glasses. Not a problem for my wife and son, they can both wear contacts. I can't.

I'll check that Optoma out. Thanx for the tip. (I think.)

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm with ya on that.

Internal battery replacements can be a major pain. Ask anyone with an iPod who had that situation. With a Toshiba tablet replacement battery only $89 and 15 seconds to swap it out...I honestly don't understand what the tablet makers are thinking with non-replaceable batteries (or factory-only).

I gotta a pretty good idea what they're thinking of. A revenue stream caused by very expensive battery changes that can't be done in our homes. And the idea that a lot of folks will just buy a newer model just so they won't lose their devices for four to six weeks while the battery is changed.

Rich

#95 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'm with ya on that.

It's just one more way for 'the man' to stick it to you :D
I'd rather purchase a tablet with a replaceable battery, just like my Android, than purchase something I'd have to wait to be returned from someone who does the job for me. I've never been big on having other people do work for me that I know I can do my self (e.g Changing my oil, tires, stereo system, fixing my computers, home repairs, ect).
As for carrying it everywhere I go :No No!: not going to happen. If I need important emails, my Android it sync'd to my gmail account and it actually fits in my pocket. Plus I don't see paying an extra monthly fee when my phone has internet, email, app store and gps. Biggest thing I'd have it for is because I'm using an Android Comet. Everything and more my phone does, with the WiFi only version at home while my wife is using the computer, I don't have to be bored or use a small screen anymore! :)

#96 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

If you simply want to "test drive" a tablet without spending a lot of money get a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and turn it into a nice fully functional Android (2.2) tablet with little effort. It's much more than I need as I really have no use for a tablet other than as a "gadget" but for $249 (I got mine for $140 with a bunch of Groupon coupons a while back) and 20 minutes to "root" it it works just as well as the $500+ Galaxy Tab albeit without GPS. I tether it to my iPhone for a 3G connection if needed.

+1

Has the option to dualboot, but with the built in backup feature (to stock nook) I went ahead and put CM7 on it and it's a very useful tablet now. Great form factor that the misses can carry it in her purse and you can grab it quickly to check something while watching TV. I can even use it as a video player for the kid in the backseat :)
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#97 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

+1

Has the option to dualboot, but with the built in backup feature (to stock nook) I went ahead and put CM7 on it and it's a very useful tablet now. Great form factor that the misses can carry it in her purse and you can grab it quickly to check something while watching TV. I can even use it as a video player for the kid in the backseat :)

I would like to hear more on this Nook Color root. This probably wouldn't replace a tablet for me (or it might) but I like using things for something other than their intended purpose :D I'm curious as to what it unlocks for you and what all you use it for.

#98 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

The one thing I don't want is a projector that has to be ceiling mounted. Access to the attic over that room is very limited. The other thing that bothers me is glasses over glasses. Not a problem for my wife and son, they can both wear contacts. I can't.

I have the same issue with ceiling mounts. My projectors are not ceiling mounted. I purchased a tall shelf, put some wheels on it and roll it out into the room when I use it. The screen is pull down. Simple, yet effective. I would recommend the Optoma HD66 projector and the Optoma 3DXL 3D adapter. Of course you will also need a 3D Blu-Ray player and DLP Link glasses (ranging from $50 to $100 a piece). The projector makes a pretty good (and bright) 2D projector as well (only 720p though).

Not trying to hijack this thread. Sorry guys.

#99 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

The other thing that bothers me is glasses over glasses. Not a problem for my wife and son, they can both wear contacts. I can't.

Rich

I wear glasses and have found 3D glasses to be almost comfortable when watching 3D. Not bad at all, and the 3D picture is well worth any minor discomfort. Same with my wife.
Also not trying to hijack this thread. Sorry Guys.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#100 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

I would like to hear more on this Nook Color root. This probably wouldn't replace a tablet for me (or it might) but I like using things for something other than their intended purpose :D I'm curious as to what it unlocks for you and what all you use it for.

It essentially takes what was just a e-reader and gives it all the abilities of an Android tablet (sans GPS, camera). CyanogenMod7 is a developer community build of the Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread), opens up the device to most of the market apps and adds softkeys for easier navigation. And you can still use it as a nook reader with the android nook app. There's also a built in safe recovery that reloads the original nook os when it has 8 interrupted boot cycles (important when you start messing with WAF :lol:).

Here's a good resource to what people are doing with them:
http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

Protected By... spam firewall...And...