Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

I wear glasses and have found 3D glasses to be almost comfortable when watching 3D. Not bad at all, and the 3D picture is well worth any minor discomfort. Same with my wife.
Also not trying to hijack this thread. Sorry Guys.

Same here. I haven't found any issues with the 3d glasses and I have to wear glasses as well. The only ones that bother me are the ones from the Theatre.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

It essentially takes what was just a e-reader and gives it all the abilities of an Android tablet (sans GPS, camera). CyanogenMod7 is a developer community build of the Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread), opens up the device to most of the market apps and adds softkeys for easier navigation. And you can still use it as a nook reader with the android nook app. There's also a built in safe recovery that reloads the original nook os when it has 8 interrupted boot cycles (important when you start messing with WAF :lol:).

Here's a good resource to what people are doing with them:
http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

How well does it work as a tablet though? If it picks up from WiFi and unlocks the android market then it sounds like a fun weekend project for me. If it's buggy and VERY limited on what it can do, it doesn't seem worth the time and money. Anyone know any videos posted of someone using one?

#103 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

How well does it work as a tablet though? If it picks up from WiFi and unlocks the android market then it sounds like a fun weekend project for me. If it's buggy and VERY limited on what it can do, it doesn't seem worth the time and money. Anyone know any videos posted of someone using one?

Also...if it doesn't run on Android 3...it will be left behind by most applications.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#104 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Also...if it doesn't run on Android 3...it will be left behind by most applications.

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=936995

Seems someone is working on it. I'm thinking about trying the Nook Color for fun sometime soon

#105 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

It has wifi and bluetooth (some people are tethering it to BT GPS dongles to make better use of Google Maps). CM7 is not buggy at all. Browsing, Youtube, Facebook etc all work well. Hmm that reminds me I need to try the DirecTV app on it :D . The Rockplayer app will play most all videos you throw at it.

Most all apps will run on it, some will not populate the entire screen though.

What else are you interested in doing with one?
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#106 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

I ran 3.0 (Honeycomb) on it off the SD card but it was not ready for primetime. Most folks running CM7 are very happy with it.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Harmony 700

HR22-100

#107 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

It has wifi and bluetooth (some people are tethering it to BT GPS dongles to make better use of Google Maps). CM7 is not buggy at all. Browsing, Youtube, Facebook etc all work well. Hmm that reminds me I need to try the DirecTV app on it :D . The Rockplayer app will play most all videos you throw at it.

Most all apps will run on it, some will not populate the entire screen though.

What else are you interested in doing with one?

Other than what you just named, the same thing we do every night, Pinky.....

#108 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

I ran 3.0 (Honeycomb) on it off the SD card but it was not ready for primetime. Most folks running CM7 are very happy with it.

I suspect the CPU in that device can't handle Android 3.0.

Both the memory and processing power requirements are higher than the previous OSv2.3.

#109 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

I suspect the CPU in that device can't handle Android 3.0.

Both the memory and processing power requirements are higher than the previous OSv2.3.

What are the specs for that on a nook color? The new tablets are only pushing a 1ghz processor aren't they?

#110 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

What are the specs for that on a nook color? The new tablets are only pushing a 1ghz processor aren't they?

The specs for Android 3 tablets affect processor speed, dual core processing, memory, and other corresponding considerations.

#111 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the HP Touchpad with WebOS. I got a Palm Pre and WebOS is really good. I have been looking forward to when the Touchpad comes out.

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

The specs for Android 3 tablets affect processor speed, dual core processing, memory, and other corresponding considerations.

I really don't want to start hacking tablets. I just wanna buy one that does everything that makes sense. (Starting with an easily replaceable battery.) I've learned so much over the last five years, and I don't want to start over again. I just want to enjoy my toys, not rebuild them, altho I do understand the drive some of you have to do just that, and I have the utmost respect for you.

All I ever wanted to do was chase women (don't do that anymore), drink beer (don't do that anymore), and howl at the moon after playing baseball (don't do that anymore, either). Now I'd just like to play with my toys.

And, of course, I have every intention of reading those links that lead to hacking tablets and will probably get interested and start doing it. If my head doesn't explode first......:lol:

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the HP Touchpad with WebOS. I got a Palm Pre and WebOS is really good. I have been looking forward to when the Touchpad comes out.

That looks really interesting too. They all look interesting. Didn't see any mention of battery changing tho. Thanx for the link.

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Interesting how you guys are really big on the battery replacement thing. It has never been an issue for me both on tablets and phones. I think over the past 13 years since I started carrying around a cell phone, I think I only replaced a battery on one of those phones.

Even though the battery may be the weakest link, it will still takes a few years for the battery to start screwing up and usually by that time it will be time upgrade to a new tablet.

#115 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

Interesting how you guys are really big on the battery replacement thing. It has never been an issue for me both on tablets and phones. I think over the past 13 years since I started carrying around a cell phone, I think I only replaced a battery on one of those phones.

Even though the battery may be the weakest link, it will still takes a few years for the battery to start screwing up and usually by that time it will be time upgrade to a new tablet.

Chris, My brother has replaced the battery in his phone twice. Some people hold onto something longer than others.

See my next reply for other reasons.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#116 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

I know a VP of a very large company. He uses his iPad2 every day...to answer emails. True story. And he makes a point of carrying it everywhere he goes. Must get very important emails.....:lol:

Believe me, I'm willing to have my mind changed. I still haven't seen anything that interests me that I can't do on my smart-phone.

My son doesn't want a tablet. My son, who practically slept all night in front of a BB to get a WII sees no use for a tablet. My son, who has spent a fortune (of our money) on game platforms, laptops, desktops, iPods, etc. turned down the Xoom when I offered it to him before I returned it.

I'm willing to listen and try to understand what advantages the tablets have and my heart is still filled with lust for one. I'm sure I'll end up with one, but I'd sure like to understand what I'm gonna do with it.

Rich

There must be a problem when your son doesn't want one.

Can not swap battery when first one runs down = Strike one.
No keyboard = Strike two
Small screen = strike 2.5

One model left in contention!

Moving on to battery's being replaceable.
Laptops have it right, need longer battery life just swap in your spare. There have been Dell models, for example, where you could pull the optical drive and plug in a second battery so you didn't even have to swap.

We serviced a lot of Ipods for bad battery life, everything else was good, just a bad battery. Easy swap would have been nice.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#117 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

I gotta say each new phone I get, the more capable the phone the quicker the battery loses charging capacity. My BB went about a year before needing a replacement. My Droid X is 8-9 mos old and the stock battery is going...
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Harmony 700

HR22-100

#118 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

I gotta say each new phone I get, the more capable the phone the quicker the battery loses charging capacity. My BB went about a year before needing a replacement. My Droid X is 8-9 mos old and the stock battery is going...

Just ask any iPhone user - my daughter charges hers as much as 3 times a day if using it for web access. My nephew is on his 3rd iPod device based on not holding a charge.

I suspect that some time in maybe 6 months from now, we'll start hearing about the first group of cases where iPads no longer hold their charge "like they used to", much like iPhone users experienced. It's indeed an issue, and not a quick or cheap thing to address.

A replacement battery is a plus in this regard.

#119 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

Just ask any iPhone user - my daughter charges hers as much as 3 times a day if using it for web access. My nephew is on his 3rd iPod device based on not holding a charge.

I suspect that some time in maybe 6 months from now, we'll start hearing about the first group of cases where iPads no longer hold their charge "like they used to", much like iPhone users experienced. It's indeed an issue, and not a quick or cheap thing to address.

A replacement battery is a plus in this regard.

First iPad I bought a year ago. Turned on all the time. Charged every day. Battery life is reduced maybe about 10%. The battery issues does not apply to "any" user.

#120 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

If a replaceable battery is a requirement, you're not going to be buying many new toys these days. I see it as a non-issue. My wife and I replace our toys much faster then the batteries wear out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...