Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

First iPad I bought a year ago. Turned on all the time. Charged every day. Battery life is reduced maybe about 10%. The battery issues does not apply to "any" user.

Chris - I can name at least 20 people off the top of my head that I know personally who ended up trashing iPods, iPhones, iTouches and other devices with internal rechargeable batteries based on their inability to hold a charge. In almost all cases (except 2), they ended up buying a new device.

These support pages on the Apple site for iPod and iTouch alone were not created because it doesn't happen often:

http://www.apple.com...ervice/battery/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2771

More important, the larger the device screen uses of it - the greater potential for the problem. We're not saying there is a mass problem today - but just the potential for it down the road is something some would likely look to avoid.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

My Dell laptop is just about 1 year old and I need to get a new battery, because the current one won't hold a charge for more than an hour.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#123 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

My Dell laptop is just about 1 year old and I need to get a new battery, because the current one won't hold a charge for more than an hour.

How much do you leave it pluged into AC....this is the usual cause

#124 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

How much do you leave it pluged into AC....this is the usual cause

Unless I'm on a plane, it's in the docking station.

#125 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

I really don't want to start hacking tablets. I just wanna buy one that does everything that makes sense. (Starting with an easily replaceable battery.) I've learned so much over the last five years, and I don't want to start over again. I just want to enjoy my toys, not rebuild them, altho I do understand the drive some of you have to do just that, and I have the utmost respect for you.

All I ever wanted to do was chase women (don't do that anymore), drink beer (don't do that anymore), and howl at the moon after playing baseball (don't do that anymore, either). Now I'd just like to play with my toys.

And, of course, I have every intention of reading those links that lead to hacking tablets and will probably get interested and start doing it. If my head doesn't explode first......:lol:

Rich

Yeah, I want the Nook Color for ****s and giggles for sure, but I'll be purchasing a real tablet for my wife.

#126 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Chris - I can name at least 20 people off the top of my head that I know personally who ended up trashing iPods, iPhones, iTouches and other devices with internal rechargeable batteries based on their inability to hold a charge. In almost all cases (except 2), they ended up buying a new device.

Not exactly scientific. How did they treat their devices? Were they left a lot in heat? Did the users follow the rules laid out by Apple to extend battery life?

It's easy to say "I know 20 people" but not so easy to answer how kind they were to their devices. Most people don't pay attention to battery maintenance thus are the first to complain when the battery starts going bad after 6 months.

All I know is how I treat my devices and I don't have any issues with batteries.

#127 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Not exactly scientific. How did they treat their devices? Were they left a lot in heat? Did the users follow the rules laid out by Apple to extend battery life?

It's easy to say "I know 20 people" but not so easy to answer how kind they were to their devices. Most people don't pay attention to battery maintenance thus are the first to complain when the battery starts going bad after 6 months.

All I know is how I treat my devices and I don't have any issues with batteries.

I still have my 2G iPod Touch and the bettery life is just as good as it was when I bought it. Never had any problems, the back is just scratched from use but I've kept my screen in good condition, touch screen works great. My wife's would still be working fine if our son didn't throw it in the toilet :mad:

#128 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Unless I'm on a plane, it's in the docking station.

Thats why you are getting such bad battery life. Any computer pluged into AC on a constant basis = bad battery life. Use it more on batteries and see your battery life increase.

#129 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thats why you are getting such bad battery life. Any computer pluged into AC on a constant basis = bad battery life. Use it more on batteries and see your battery life increase.

I've heard that, but I've also always kept my laptops plugged in. I'm not going to reach behind the docking station and unplug it every day, just to have to plug it back in a few hours later (do people do that?).

#130 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

I can vouch for at least 3 of those people...and they baby their equipment, and follow the charging instructions per the user manual documentation. They are not alone...as there are many others on the web posting on this topic.

In any case, YMMV. ;)

All I'm saying is that having an option to address the issue is a plus - somewhat surprised it is the exception and not the rule to offer it.

#131 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

I've heard that, but I've also always kept my laptops plugged in. I'm not going to reach behind the docking station and unplug it every day, just to have to plug it back in a few hours later (do people do that?).

My grandmother does before slamming it shut 3/4 hours later because she's irritated at it :lol:

#132 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

All that charging result depends on which kind of battery is in the device...

From Batteries for Dummies:

Lithium-ion: This is the type of battery you want to have in your laptop. This type is lightweight and performs better than the other types of batteries. Unlike NiCad or NiMH batteries, lithium-ion batteries don’t have the dreaded “memory effect.” The memory effect is the property of nickel-cadmium batteries that causes them to lose their capacity for full recharging if they are discharged repeatedly the same amount and then recharged without overcharge before they have fully drained. There’s usually a rapid-charging option with lithium-ion batteries, which is good when you’re in a time crunch. Finally, this type of battery is more environmentally friendly than the other types.

Two older types of batteries, once popular in portable computers, are nickel-cadmium (NiCad) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH). The NiCad isn’t often considered for laptops these days because it suffered unpleasantly from The Dreaded Memory Effect. A NiMH battery is longer lasting than a NiCad, but it too woefully suffers from The Dreaded Memory Effect.

Read more: http://www.dummies.c...l#ixzz1K15zxuR6

#133 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

All that charging result depends on which kind of battery is in the device...

From Batteries for Dummies:

No one has challenged this statement. You sir, are the victor.

#134 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

No one has challenged this statement. You sir, are the victor.

Shucks...didn't even know there was a battle.

!rolling

#135 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,968 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

I know a VP of a very large company. He uses his iPad2 every day...to answer emails. True story. And he makes a point of carrying it everywhere he goes. Must get very important emails.....:lol:

I bring mine everywhere... well, everywhere at home... well, everywhere but the bathroom... that just isn't sanitary, IMO! :nono:

I do however find that ever since some fellow posters (from the iPad thread here on DBSTalk) helped me set up my E-mail the way I wanted it, I have been using the iPad to do the bulk of my E-mail, and have been in the middle of several conversations these past few days.

Believe me, I'm willing to have my mind changed. I still haven't seen anything that interests me that I can't do on my smart-phone.

I'm not sure you're looking at things the right way?! :confused:

Pretty much everything you can do with your smart-phone, you can do with a tablet, netbook, laptop, or desktop. The difference is HOW you use it, and the convenience of how you're able to use it. My iPad does not replace my smart-phone, nor would a smart-phone replace my iPad.

The only thing my iPad SORTA replaces... is my computer. Aside from the fact that I'm currently in the process of trying to organize my files (no small task when you have as much music as I do, and I'm trying to add comprehensive information to the files, etc.), I simply haven't used my computer. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'll need to bring home work, but as far as personal stuff goes, the iPad has replaced my computer for my daily computing activities.

My son doesn't want a tablet. My son, who practically slept all night in front of a BB to get a WII sees no use for a tablet. My son, who has spent a fortune (of our money) on game platforms, laptops, desktops, iPods, etc. turned down the Xoom when I offered it to him before I returned it.

EVERYONE who has seen my iPad and played with it wants one. Of those people, everyone who wanted one BEFORE they played with my iPad wants one even more now... and that's just the people who have seen it. Honestly, I can't think of a single person I know who doesn't WANT one...

Apparently your son and I don't run in the same circles! ;)

I'm willing to listen and try to understand what advantages the tablets have and my heart is still filled with lust for one. I'm sure I'll end up with one, but I'd sure like to understand what I'm gonna do with it.

If you can't figure out what you'd do with it, I'm not sure a tablet is for you.

When the iPad first came out, I thought it was cool, but over time, I came up with a ton of ways in I would use it. After getting it, I've come up with even more ways, and I'm still learning new stuff every day.

The people I mentioned above, they're the same way. They don't have to be convinced, they are very much aware of WHY they want one... no convincing necessary.

Tablets aren't cheap, and money doesn't grow on trees. A few years down the line, you may come up with reasons to want one, and the tablets will probably be better (and perhaps cheaper) by then.

~Alan

#136 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

They forgot nothing (planned for it all along its what they do better than almost anybody). What they did is released the product 3 months too soon.

Shame on them for that.

Either way you slice it, it's still a rotten fruit. Positively ridiculous.

Also, you're mistaken w/r/t Honeycomb (Android 3.0) requiring dual core processors. Google themselves came out and said they didn't know where that rumor got started.

It runs great on the Nook Color.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#137 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

Also, you're mistaken w/r/t Honeycomb (Android 3.0) requiring dual core processors. Google themselves came out and said they didn't know where that rumor got started.

It runs great on the Nook Color.

Perhaps, but one can run Windows 7 on a legacy PC as well - but it also runs very poorly and has limitations to do many things.

It is true that officially there is no documented minumum hardware requirement to deploy the new v3.0 operating system, however, operating system history has repeatedly demonstrated that Android 3 will quickly evolve to operate much better and use the expanded capabilities of next generation hardware. Apps will follow that train.

Android 3 is specifically optimized to operate (and take advantage of the features) on the 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor with a minimum of 16 GB of internal memory, featured in virtually all the next-generation Android 3-based tablets.

K-mart tires work on a Mercedes, but you won't find many people operating their cars with them for good reason. Android 3 will be no different in that scenario.

#138 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

Well yes, logically it'll goldfish to its environment. That's the nature of the beast. It'll still run on older hardware, but they're not likely to support it. That's to be expected.

And Windows 7, in my experience during the testing phase at my job, ran better than Vista on the same hardware.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#139 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

Well yes, logically it'll goldfish to its environment. That's the nature of the beast. It'll still run on older hardware, but they're not likely to support it. That's to be expected.

And Windows 7, in my experience during the testing phase at my job, ran better than Vista on the same hardware.

That's true but not a good comparison, as Vista was the "Edsel" of operating systems. :D

#140 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:27 AM

Here's a review (with photos) that just came out of the upcoming Acer Android 3.0-based tablet:

http://androidcommun...eview-20110420/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...